When I scratch my skin, it leaves red scratch marks as though a cat has attacked me.

It just means your skin is dry, I bet you're itchy more often too. If you live in a cold climate it can happen in the winter because the air in your home and at work can get really dry because of the heating. You can get a small humidifier for your bedroom and that should fix it after awhile. They're usually under 50 bucks. You can get bigger ones as well, but they can cost alot and aren't really necessary. If the noise from the humidifier bugs you just put it in the hall outside of your room. The small ones will humidify one floor of an average home.

In the meantime, just use some lotion on like Keri Lotion or Vaseline Intensive Care. Put it on after the shower while your skin is still a bit damp, but slightly towelled off, you skin will absorb it better.

yep. shows good circulation of blood. it goes away right? maybe lotion up.

To be honest I'm not sure how long it takes to go away, I don't think it's still there by the next day anyway, but yeah, it's as though scratching draws my blood up to just beneath the surface or something.

For the first time though today I've noticed a scratch mark on my hand which I'm sure was caused by scratching it because it was itchy last night, yet it's still here and is a tiny bit scabby as though it really is scratched.

It just means your skin is dry, I bet you're itchy more often too. If you live in a cold climate it can happen in the winter because the air in your home and at work can get really dry because of the heating. You can get a small humidifier for your bedroom and that should fix it after awhile. They're usually under 50 bucks. You can get bigger ones as well, but they can cost alot and aren't really necessary. If the noise from the humidifier bugs you just put it in the hall outside of your room. The small ones will humidify one floor of an average home.

In the meantime, just use some lotion on like Keri Lotion or Vaseline Intensive Care. Put it on after the shower while your skin is still a bit damp, but slightly towelled off, you skin will absorb it better.

Well, it's not like it's a problem for me, I was just curious about it. I know that my face, back of neck and the top of my back get's a little dry, but I use moisturiser on them anyway.

To be honest I'm not sure how long it takes to go away, I don't think it's still there by the next day anyway, but yeah, it's as though scratching draws my blood up to just beneath the surface or something.

For the first time though today I've noticed a scratch mark on my hand which I'm sure was caused by scratching it because it was itchy last night, yet it's still here and is a tiny bit scabby as though it really is scratched.

maybe don't scratch so hard or for so long. if you are getting scabs, you are doing too much.

My guess is that you might have an allergy to something on your hands/nails.

I know if I use perfumed soap, then scratch, I get red scratch marks that swell up because I`m allergic to it. Seems like scratching my skin gets the allergen into the skin. Same thing happens when a puppy accidently bites me or a cat scratches me - I`m not allergic if I pet them, but if I get dog/cat saliva in my skin, it swells up.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old post, but I thought I would mention this. We were told that my son has what the doctor called hypersensitive skin. This was when he was just a baby, he's 6 now and still has it. His is not due to scratching too hard or sharp nails, it even happens from picking him up, he'll have red finger prints for a while. His also isn't allergies or dry skin. Most people associate hypersensitive skin with feeling pain easily, but apparently this is another form and it doesn't hurt my son at all.

Archived