Numbness on the top left side of the head

Not sure if this is something I should be concerned about. This morning I woke up with the left top side of my head feeling numb and/or "pins and needles" feeling. I've been up for a while now and the feeling is still there on that side of my head.

I'm a bit worried about it. Don't want to fall down dead or something

The same thing happened about two weeks ago where the numbness was in the same area but spread to the left side of my face. That lasted about 10-15 minutes and it went away.

I do have some issues with my upper spine (2-3 of the vertebrae are fused together and pressing on my spine). I also have a fluid filled sac at the back of my brain (the neurologist that I saw said that I didn;t have anything to worry about that). This was about 3-4 years ago. Since then I really haven't had any major issues (except for sporadic periods of numbness and tingling in my hands and arms) until lately.

I had a complete workup done of my brain and spine about four years ago. They did MRI's of my brain and spinal cord. I even had a CT scan done of my brain.

The issue of my vertebrae pressing on my spine causes numbness and tingling in my arms, hands and legs. Only way to correct that is through sugery to separate the fused vertebrae (I'm afraid of spinal surgery). The last few years, I've suffered with sporadic numbness and tingling in my hands, arms, and legs.

This new numbness and tingling on the top of my head and left side of my head, worries me.

Anybody have these issues? I'm hoping I am NOT developing a tumor or something like that.

if one of the nerves going to your head is getting pinched in your neck while you are sleeping it could cause this... you could try sleeping with a different pillow and see if it changes. are the problem vertebra in your neck?

BUT you don't want to make a mistake of confusing a different problem with this. if the numbness is major or more than transient, you need to get it checked out.

if one of the nerves going to your head is getting pinched in your neck while you are sleeping it could cause this... you could try sleeping with a different pillow and see if it changes. are the problem vertebra in your neck?

BUT you don't want to make a mistake of confusing a different problem with this. if the numbness is major or more than transient, you need to get it checked out.

The original problem I have is that the C1 and C2 sections of the spine (this is in the upper area close to the head), two of the vertebrae are fused together so when I move my neck and stuff, the fused portion is pressing on my spine, hence me having tingling feelings in my hands and arms. But that issue has NEVER caused me to have numbness on the top of the left side of my head or the left side of my face.

It could be the pillow. I don't know. I sleep with two pillows because if I sleep flat, my breathing gets problematic and I will wake up with breathing issues in the middle of the night. I have a tempurpedic type of pillow

I know I should see a doctor and get it checked out. I'm kinda hesitant to admit this but lately my issues with numbness and tingling in the arms and hands, have come back slightly.

I know what they are going to recommend, that I have surgery done to deal with the fused vertebrae. It's a 3-4 hour surgery and has a three month recovery period. And it is NOT guaranteed to succeed either.

I'm afraid of surgeries, esp since a few years ago I had surgery done on my left ear to correct problems with my hearing and that was NOT a success and I had some minor complications that took me a month to get over.

I have issues of constant tingling in my arms and legs since I fell off of a horse over 15 years ago. Numerous MRI's of brain, neck and spinal cord came back negative--except for straightening of the cervical spine.

About 1.5 years ago, I started getting lacinating neuralgic pain in my neck (mandible area)...I think it could be something like trigeminal neuralgia or glossopharyngeal neuralgia or atypical facial pain (due to my neck issues?).

I know finding out would require a whole new battery of MRI's etc.

Issues high up in the cervical spine can result in facial/scalp numbness. Check out occipital neuralgia--tight muscles in the back of the neck can lead to pain and numbness in the head/scalp area.

Sounds like a trip to the neuro is required for both of us

Rose2summer, the only medications I am taking right now are asthma-related medications.

Right now I am feeling a bit better, the tingling feeling and numbness seems to be gone, but now I have a real nasty headache. I took some advil and hopefully the headache goes away. If not, I'll take some pain pills that I have.

I am worried and on Monday I am going to be calling around looking for a neurologist to see. I have decent health insurance but the last time I saw a neurologist, I was still living in Wisconsin.

I have a feeling it is my spinal issues acting up again.

Archived