Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum Member renaissancewoman101's Avatar

Numbness on the top left side of the head

Not sure if this is something I should be concerned about. This morning I woke up with the left top side of my head feeling numb and/or "pins and needles" feeling. I've been up for a while now and the feeling is still there on that side of my head.

I'm a bit worried about it. Don't want to fall down dead or something.

The same thing happened about two weeks ago where the numbness was in the same area but spread to the left side of my face. That lasted about 10-15 minutes and it went away.

I do have some issues with my upper spine (2-3 of the vertebrae are fused together and pressing on my spine). I also have a fluid filled sac at the back of my brain (the neurologist that I saw said that I didn;t have anything to worry about that). This was about 3-4 years ago. Since then I really haven't had any major issues (except for sporadic periods of numbness and tingling in my hands and arms) until lately.

I had a complete workup done of my brain and spine about four years ago. They did MRI's of my brain and spinal cord. I even had a CT scan done of my brain.

The issue of my vertebrae pressing on my spine causes numbness and tingling in my arms, hands and legs. Only way to correct that is through sugery to separate the fused vertebrae (I'm afraid of spinal surgery). The last few years, I've suffered with sporadic numbness and tingling in my hands, arms, and legs.

This new numbness and tingling on the top of my head and left side of my head, worries me.

Anybody have these issues? I'm hoping I am NOT developing a tumor or something like that.
    Last edited by renaissancewoman101; 12-29-2007 at 10:58 AM.

I do think a check up is warranted Ren. I have not heard of this and if it has happened before it could be something going on that needs to be looked at. Especially if you already have an issue with a vertebrae pressing on the spine...

Platinum Member BeStrongBeHappy's Avatar
    if one of the nerves going to your head is getting pinched in your neck while you are sleeping it could cause this... you could try sleeping with a different pillow and see if it changes. are the problem vertebra in your neck?

BUT you don't want to make a mistake of confusing a different problem with this. if the numbness is major or more than transient, you need to get it checked out.

If this is the second occurrance, I'd see be calling to see a doctor.
    You already know you have a neurological condition that needs treatment.
    Putting it off might allay your fears, but in the long run may cause more damage.
    << Vigilance.

Quote Originally Posted by BeStrongBeHappy View Post
    if one of the nerves going to your head is getting pinched in your neck while you are sleeping it could cause this... you could try sleeping with a different pillow and see if it changes. are the problem vertebra in your neck?

BUT you don't want to make a mistake of confusing a different problem with this. if the numbness is major or more than transient, you need to get it checked out.
    The original problem I have is that the C1 and C2 sections of the spine (this is in the upper area close to the head), two of the vertebrae are fused together so when I move my neck and stuff, the fused portion is pressing on my spine, hence me having tingling feelings in my hands and arms. But that issue has NEVER caused me to have numbness on the top of the left side of my head or the left side of my face.

It could be the pillow. I don't know. I sleep with two pillows because if I sleep flat, my breathing gets problematic and I will wake up with breathing issues in the middle of the night. I have a tempurpedic type of pillow
    Last edited by renaissancewoman101; 12-29-2007 at 11:33 AM.

I know I should see a doctor and get it checked out. I'm kinda hesitant to admit this but lately my issues with numbness and tingling in the arms and hands, have come back slightly.

I know what they are going to recommend, that I have surgery done to deal with the fused vertebrae. It's a 3-4 hour surgery and has a three month recovery period. And it is NOT guaranteed to succeed either.

I'm afraid of surgeries, esp since a few years ago I had surgery done on my left ear to correct problems with my hearing and that was NOT a success and I had some minor complications that took me a month to get over.

There are no guarantees it will go away on its own, but that's your choice. I hope it doesn't get worse.
    << Vigilance.

Platinum Member Miss Firecracker's Avatar
    I also have tingling in my hands, Ren. I thought it was carpal tunnel, but the test showed negative. I have severe spinal problems also, and I know how scary this is. Hopefully you will be OK.

I should be ok. If this numbness and weirdness in the left side of my head doesn't go away, I will probably go to the doctor very soon.

I am worried about this.

Ren-

Are you taking any medications right now? Some medications can cause tingling sensations. I started a medication to prevent migraines and I feel numbness, tingling, and like someone whacked my knee with a bat.

It's best to see your neurologist again and see what's going on.

Hugs, Rose
    If life is fulfilled we go away with empty hands.
    ~Chinese Proverb~

With every failure, there's a chance for success.
    With every failure, there's a chance to learn.
    ~Rose~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
According to the findings of a recent study, married women may find themselves drinking a lot more alcohol than single or divorced women, while ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It turns out that, when under stress, men tend to be attracted to women with a more curvaceous body type, found a new research, according to which ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Marriage and divorce are linked to weight gain among both women and men, and especially those who are over age 30, found U.S. sociologists. However, ...