Can a bruise get bigger by itself?

Samedy

So hypothetic, if you were say to hurt your thumb, playing a very fun game of volleyball on Friday...

Would it be normal if the bruise was still getting bigger, say on Tuesday?

It doesn't hurt... It's just gotten bigger.. It goes from about half way up my thumb down to the beginning of my wrist...

Yup, they can - I am a very easy bruiser (pale skin which shows them more in first place) and they spread like crazy it seems for me. You should see me during the high point of mountain biking season - I look like I enjoy hitting my legs with baseball bats...rowrr

However, if this is not normal for you, I would get it checked out - that kind of bruising almost sounds like a dislocation/fracture (even if faint and you don't otherwise feel it can be hairline fracture) - black bruises in my experience tend to mean something may be broken.

It may also be a sign of some vitamin/mineral deficiencies, and I believe even one of the symptoms of diabetes is easy/more persistent bruising.

Yup, i fell down a storm drain once in my teens. Landed my rear right on the corner of a block of concrete. when I got home and looked at it it was red & had had been bleading. day two I could barely walk, it was purple, and the size of a grape fruit. By day three it was my entire cheek, black, and there was no way I was getting up off my stomach.

sometimes a buddy of mine will give me a nerple. won't get a bruise until later in the week. it's the fluids changing out the dead blood.

No, its the escaped blood from burst capillaries showing through the skin. The injury releases the blood, but time allows the blood to reach the layer of skin such that it is visible. The blood in a bruise is free of a vessel and won't be "changing out" as it has no source once a blood clot forms on the injured capilaries. Unless there is continued internal bleeding, in that case the bruise will only get bigger and a hematoma can form.

No, its the escaped blood from burst capillaries showing through the skin. The injury releases the blood, but time allows the blood to reach the layer of skin such that it is visible. The blood in a bruise is free of a vessel and won't be "changing out" as it has no source once a blood clot forms on the injured capilaries. Unless there is continued internal bleeding, in that case the bruise will only get bigger and a hematoma can form.

but when it changes colors it is dying, then finally being flushed out.

but when it changes colors it is dying, then finally being flushed out.

The purple color is dead blood, the cells die in the first hours, they asphyxiate. The color change is not from it being flush out or cell death, but from the absorption of the proteins back into the body. No flushing can occur in the tissue, as there is no motion outside the containment of organs and vessels. The blood is free in the tissue and will stay there until it breaks down and absorbed.

The purple color is dead blood, the cells die in the first hours, they asphyxiate. The color change is not from it being flush out or cell death, but from the absorption of the proteins back into the body. No flushing can occur in the tissue, as there is no motion outside the containment of organs and vessels. The blood is free in the tissue and will stay there until it breaks down and absorbed.

uhm, i'm referring to the body flushing it out internally.

No flushing occurs. Look up the definition of flushing, its a cleansing with flow of water, flooding with water, a rush of fluids, flushing can not be done to a bruise unless you cut open the skin and flood it with water. The body is not a big fluid sack, blood and fluids are restricted to cells, vessels, organs and such. If a blood cell is out side the vessels it will have to be reabsorb by adjacent cells as it breaks down. There is no flushing, only decay and osmosis. Or the white blood cells will attack the red blood cells.

Except its not semantics, its debunking false statements regarding the biology of bruises, all I understand is you were misinformed as to how your body works and were misinforming others.

i have no idea what you are talking about now. i've worked in the medical field when i was doing firefighting. but i guess EMTs are misinformed. sorry i didn't look up the textbook definition of a bruise. but your body DID flush out the bad blood. when the skin is clear of the bruise, it is gone. oh, and the body is made up of about 75% water. so yes, flushing does occur.

but i will end this with, you are right, ghost is wrong. i don't want to get smacked by a moderator.

So hypothetic, if you were say to hurt your thumb, playing a very fun game of volleyball on Friday...

Would it be normal if the bruise was still getting bigger, say on Tuesday?

It doesn't hurt... It's just gotten bigger.. It goes from about half way up my thumb down to the beginning of my wrist...

Yes..

Have you taken any anticoagulants or aspirin, both of which interfere with clotting. If the blood doesn't clot properly, more of it will leak out under the skin when the trauma occurs and immediately following it.

i have no idea what you are talking about now. i've worked in the medical field when i was doing firefighting. but i guess EMTs are misinformed. sorry i didn't look up the textbook definition of a bruise. but your body DID flush out the bad blood. when the skin is clear of the bruise, it is gone. oh, and the body is made up of about 75% water. so yes, flushing does occur.

but i will end this with, you are right, ghost is wrong. i don't want to get smacked by a moderator.

That water in the body is contained within cell structures, it is not free flowing in the body. Blood released from a damaged blood vessel becomes suspended in the tissues and is free in the body. There is no water flow through tissues or the body unless it is within a blood vessel (which blood from a bruise is free of), normal blood flow into a muscle or organ is only in blood vessels, where it interfaces with other cells through cell membranes and then moves along still with in the blood vessel, the cells in the tissue stay in the tissue. Blood outside that blood vessels is not in any flow structure they are suspended between cells in tissues with no access to them by any water or other vehicle to move them from that place, thereforeeee there is no flushing, gravity can effect the distribution of where the blood settles until it clots, then it remains there until it breaks down. The blood cells break down to water, proteins and minerals like iron, those things are then absorb back into the surrounding cells. Absorption of the dead cells is not flushing them out in any way, the body reuses the dead cells, the cells adjacent to the dead blood absorb the water, proteins and other components back into the structures within the body. When the skin is clear the bruise is no longer visible through the skin's surface, but the bruise in deeper tissues can still be there. Deep tissue bruises, not visible on the surface can be seen with the aid of several imaging devices, even a basic camera with the addition of a light filter.

I didn't look up any text book definitions, high school biology was pretty clear on cell structures and anatomy.

Archived