Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Can a bruise get bigger by itself?

So hypothetic, if you were say to hurt your thumb, playing a very fun game of volleyball on Friday...

Would it be normal if the bruise was still getting bigger, say on Tuesday?

It doesn't hurt... It's just gotten bigger.. It goes from about half way up my thumb down to the beginning of my wrist...

yes............

Fluid and blood can spread under the skin further than the initially damaged capillaries.
    << Vigilance.

It's gross.. It's huge.. And the centre is almost a shiny disgusting gray.

Yup, they can - I am a very easy bruiser (pale skin which shows them more in first place) and they spread like crazy it seems for me. You should see me during the high point of mountain biking season - I look like I enjoy hitting my legs with baseball bats...rowrr

However, if this is not normal for you, I would get it checked out - that kind of bruising almost sounds like a dislocation/fracture (even if faint and you don't otherwise feel it can be hairline fracture) - black bruises in my experience tend to mean something may be broken.

It may also be a sign of some vitamin/mineral deficiencies, and I believe even one of the symptoms of diabetes is easy/more persistent bruising.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=darkolivegreen][B]<--- [COLOR=sienna]Carbun the Super-Bunny[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#556b2f][/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=darkolivegreen][B]At the end of the day, how you imprinted on someones life and heart is the only true mark any of us leave on this earth and is what we are most proud of... [/B][/COLOR][/FONT][I][SIZE=1]- My Biggest Hero and Mentor: My Mum.[/SIZE][/I]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=orange][B]Il faut d'abord durer [/B][/COLOR][/FONT][I][SIZE=1]- Ernest Hemingway[/SIZE][/I]

Uh yeah... called a contusion
    If we cut out the bad
    Well then we'd have nothing left
    Like I cut up your mouth
    The night I stuffed it all in
    And you lied to the angels
    Said I stabbed you to death
    If we go at the same time
    They'll clean up the mess

They taped over your mouth
    Scribbled out the truth with their lies
    You little spies

Sometimes it takes a few days for the full extent of the bruising to be noticeable. I once fell very hard while ice skating. The bruise started off small but within a couple of days it covered a wide area and was a multitude of shades.

Platinum Member CarnelianButterfly's Avatar
    Yep, the deeper the bruise, the longer the time it will take to show up all the way.

The color changes are fun, too.

Yup, i fell down a storm drain once in my teens. Landed my rear right on the corner of a block of concrete. when I got home and looked at it it was red & had had been bleading. day two I could barely walk, it was purple, and the size of a grape fruit. By day three it was my entire cheek, black, and there was no way I was getting up off my stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by CarnelianButterfly View Post
    Yep, the deeper the bruise, the longer the time it will take to show up all the way.

The color changes are fun, too.
    It's like one of those jawbreaker candies.. What colours it going to turn next!?

•  

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Related Articles & Books
    by Margarita Nahapetyan
    According to the findings of a recent study, married women may find themselves drinking a lot more alcohol than single or divorced women, while ...
    by Margarita Nahapetyan
    It turns out that, when under stress, men tend to be attracted to women with a more curvaceous body type, found a new research, according to which ...
    by Margarita Nahapetyan
    Marriage and divorce are linked to weight gain among both women and men, and especially those who are over age 30, found U.S. sociologists. However, ...