I Hate Community College!!!!!!!!!!!

I swear i hate this place, its just like high school and im so bored day in and day out (i should have gotten better grades in high school) geez im missing out on the campus expereince i dont want too be 50 finall living on campus. this has got too be the worst place for anything hard too keep friends beacuse they transfer or you dont see them everyday so mostly im by myself on the computer, plus the work is so long and not challenging..........this place sucks.........i need some encouragement beacuse im truly about too lose it coming too community college everyday

ya, i hated it... I did it for a semster for basically the same reasons.. my grades sucked in HS.... but I was WAY too smart for community college.... it was REALLY degrading and I hated going to it.... I ended up just not going to class for the last month and got straight A's... it was a complete JOKE... I would sleep in class when I actually went, and was completely anti-social with everyone there...

oh wait... encouragement?? well... get good grades and apply to a university!!!! Than you can be happy like me

LOL i hear that from everyone, especially before people go to a community college, its just like high school.

i never went to a real high school, so i wouldn't know!! lol

but you could try to go to a community college in a different city thats near by.

im from cali, i dont kno how they are over there.

burbank theres gcc and lavv ones 8 min from my house the other 15.

im originally from lb so lbcc was 2 min from my house, and gwcc was 20.

if ya want to be away from ppl yooh were growin up with in high school go for one thats a lil bit of a drive.

ya, i hated it... I did it for a semster for basically the same reasons.. my grades sucked in HS.... but I was WAY too smart for community college.... it was REALLY degrading and I hated going to it.... I ended up just not going to class for the last month and got straight A's... it was a complete JOKE... I would sleep in class when I actually went, and was completely anti-social with everyone there...

oh wait... encouragement?? well... get good grades and apply to a university!!!! Than you can be happy like me

which is what i plan on doing, i have too spend a little longer here beacuse i had too take 2 semesters of developmental class "i graduated 10th grade with a 1.2 gpa overall, took spanish one 3 times...blah....."

i wish i could go back and change this

Definitely stick it out, it's worth it. Hopefully, you'll be able to enter a four-year college as a sophmore, and if not, there are plenty of people like you that are a year or two behind. My brother did it, and it worked out really well. Don't worry. Just get good grades, and look it as an investment into your future.

Community college is a terrible place. It's just that: Go and come back home. The atmosphere is totally antisocial, everyone wants to get out as fast as possible.

This is why I stopped going...

Even worse, I had good grades in high school, and went away to Uni. After a couple months, I dropped out of there, let's not get into it....but suffice to say I wish I had stayed.

Now, even with my HS grades, I'm in a WORSE position that you guys (drop out of community college). So, don't worry about it. Get it over with and look forward to the ACTUAL thing.

Wow! I am completely floored at how anti-community college everyone seems to be!

I believe going to community college was one of the best decisions I made, although indeed it seems my experience was very different than yours has been so far.

The big thing is, I went in with a completely different mindset. I actually turned down a full-scholarship (worth over $94,000) to instead pay my way through community college, and then transfer to a state university.

Community college isn't really any better or worse, it's just different. You get a more down-to-earth and ambitious crowd at the community college than you'd get at a prestigious four-year. The teachers tend to have more real-life experience (particularly good for technical fields like engineering, among which I fall), the instruction is more individualized, and the teachers tend to care more.

Now, universities have a more active social life. There's a lot more clubs and organizations, and more funding available for projects. Not near as many people have to work (many have parents paying for them), and the students tend to be smarter albeit less ambitious. The professors are well educated, but don't have as much practical experience, and have larger classes which prevents them from being as helpful.

I actually think I received a better education at the community college than I would have in my first two years at a university. And I know I'm not alone; in fact, many of the students who've gone to university since their freshman year actually regret having not gone to community college.

And, I made some really great friends at community college. A group of us transfered to the same university, and I still keep up with the others.

Although, I will admit, having gone to three different community colleges, they're not all so good. I found the one I liked the best, and so that's the one I'm talking about. The second one was nearly as good, although the third one I was marginally displeased with.

But just remember, happiness is not so much a destination as it is a journey.

i think it depends on your university you are comparing your community college to.... I saw my community college as a holding tank for society, and basically people festered there for 2-3 years... and than were dumped out into the world..... there was no education, it was a joke and a half..... I then went to the university I'm at now... and its completely diffrent, people here are WAY more ambitious.. their goals mostly all include Graduate school and doing actual research.... something that is not possible at a community college...

i think it depends on your university you are comparing your community college to.... I saw my community college as a holding tank for society, and basically people festered there for 2-3 years... and than were dumped out into the world

I never went to a cc, but I would assume what you say is true. With that said, I think with most universities, most kids are just festering there for a few years before being dumped out into the real world. I go to a major research university and the (vast) majority of kids at my school are liberal arts majors which will likely find no use for their degrees. I have little respect for academic culture and as much as I enjoy my research, I look forward to leaving it.

Education is stamped as noble and good, and even though learning is of formost importance in my life, I think the collegiate system in this country is mostly a scam to make money. Supporting well off detached professors pursue their hobby at expense of postdocs and grad students. I learned 100x more in a 3 month internship than 4 years of undergrad (which I was getting paid $3500 a month to do).

Regardless, if your heart is set on university and community college is the only way to get there, then you know what you have to do. Crappy situations are temporary and you can get through it. I hate university, but I spend 60 hours a week doing it because it is necessary to obtain my goal of getting a good job and getting the heck away from this campus.

I agree. I even chose to stay away from research universities, because almost any professor at a non-research university is there just to teach. On the other hand, many of the professors at research universities are there just to get funding for research, and teaching is just the price they (or their students) have to pay.

Many degrees are very pointless, and every degree has a level of pointless requirements its pursuers are required to go through. My degree is an amalgam of electrical and mechanical engineering--two very large and difficult majors summed into one very large and difficult major. The school even had to cut out about half of the general education requirements just so we can graduate in five years. That means I'm putting up with about as little BS as anyone, and yet the BS is still grossly abundant.

Still, my advice to SBJ is to take advantage of the people you'll meet at community college. I know in my classes there (mostly physics, manufacturing and engineering classes) I met a number of people who had worked for years as mechanics or industrial electricians, or worked with nuclear reactors for the military, among a variety of interesting backgrounds. At university, while it is perhaps more fun to be around more people, younger and with more money, you tend not to find these very insightful individuals.

And, at a community college, the teachers are there to teach. Not for research, and certainly not for the paycheck. And if you asked around, you'd probably be surprised how many teachers there left their high-paying and highly prestigious jobs at bigger universities for the love of teaching, which they get at a community college.

haha well I used to be in your situation and felt the exact same way.. than i changed majors.....

but ya, a lot of people here are just here for the fact that it is the beaten path, and everyone said "go to college" and well.. here they are!!!

Hehehe, Well I did not got to college for the sake of going to college and I don't think switching majors is going to change my opinion of college. Although I love my field of study (engineering) but being in school past 10pm 4 nights a week with no reward wears down on you and yea, I am tired of school and don't like being here in academia anymore.

It really depends on the college. I absolutely hated the first community college I went to and felt like my brain was rotting. Then I moved three thousand miles and started at LB, where I really found my niche. I get a lot of one on one interaction with my professors, and I've developed personal relationships, references, and experiences far beyond what I could have gotten in my first few years at a university, where I would've been just another face in the crowd.

I wouldn't give up my experiences at a community for anything. Outside of the classroom, I've met so many people from different places. The woman from Costa Rica who is taking classes so that she can teach Spanish, for example, or the mother of two who sits beside me in my geology lab and tries to balance her classes with kids, a job, and getting divorced.

Community colleges get a bad rap that I really feel is undeserved. Some are horrible, yes, but there are others that offer better 100, 200, and even some 300 level classes than some universities. You get as much out as you put in.

Archived