Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    haha well I used to be in your situation and felt the exact same way.. than i changed majors..... :b

but ya, a lot of people here are just here for the fact that it is the beaten path, and everyone said "go to college" and well.. here they are!!!

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by astatine View Post
    I never went to a cc, but I would assume what you say is true. With that said, I think with most universities, most kids are just festering there for a few years before being dumped out into the real world. I go to a major research university and the (vast) majority of kids at my school are liberal arts majors which will likely find no use for their degrees. I have little respect for academic culture and as much as I enjoy my research, I look forward to leaving it.

Education is stamped as noble and good, and even though learning is of formost importance in my life, I think the collegiate system in this country is mostly a scam to make money. Supporting well off detached professors pursue their hobby at expense of postdocs and grad students. I learned 100x more in a 3 month internship than 4 years of undergrad (which I was getting paid $3500 a month to do).

Regardless, if your heart is set on university and community college is the only way to get there, then you know what you have to do. Crappy situations are temporary and you can get through it. I hate university, but I spend 60 hours a week doing it because it is necessary to obtain my goal of getting a good job and getting the heck away from this campus.
    I agree. I even chose to stay away from research universities, because almost any professor at a non-research university is there just to teach. On the other hand, many of the professors at research universities are there just to get funding for research, and teaching is just the price they (or their students) have to pay.

Many degrees are very pointless, and every degree has a level of pointless requirements its pursuers are required to go through. My degree is an amalgam of electrical and mechanical engineering--two very large and difficult majors summed into one very large and difficult major. The school even had to cut out about half of the general education requirements just so we can graduate in five years. That means I'm putting up with about as little BS as anyone, and yet the BS is still grossly abundant.

Still, my advice to SBJ is to take advantage of the people you'll meet at community college. I know in my classes there (mostly physics, manufacturing and engineering classes) I met a number of people who had worked for years as mechanics or industrial electricians, or worked with nuclear reactors for the military, among a variety of interesting backgrounds. At university, while it is perhaps more fun to be around more people, younger and with more money, you tend not to find these very insightful individuals.

And, at a community college, the teachers are there to teach. Not for research, and certainly not for the paycheck. And if you asked around, you'd probably be surprised how many teachers there left their high-paying and highly prestigious jobs at bigger universities for the love of teaching, which they get at a community college.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick32x View Post
    haha well I used to be in your situation and felt the exact same way.. than i changed majors..... :b

but ya, a lot of people here are just here for the fact that it is the beaten path, and everyone said "go to college" and well.. here they are!!!
    Hehehe, Well I did not got to college for the sake of going to college and I don't think switching majors is going to change my opinion of college. Although I love my field of study (engineering) but being in school past 10pm 4 nights a week with no reward wears down on you and yea, I am tired of school and don't like being here in academia anymore.

It really depends on the college. I absolutely hated the first community college I went to and felt like my brain was rotting. Then I moved three thousand miles and started at LB, where I really found my niche. I get a lot of one on one interaction with my professors, and I've developed personal relationships, references, and experiences far beyond what I could have gotten in my first few years at a university, where I would've been just another face in the crowd.

I wouldn't give up my experiences at a community for anything. Outside of the classroom, I've met so many people from different places. The woman from Costa Rica who is taking classes so that she can teach Spanish, for example, or the mother of two who sits beside me in my geology lab and tries to balance her classes with kids, a job, and getting divorced.

Community colleges get a bad rap that I really feel is undeserved. Some are horrible, yes, but there are others that offer better 100, 200, and even some 300 level classes than some universities. You get as much out as you put in.

You guys go to some pretty crazy Community Colleges! I love mine. Its 2 miles from home, cheap as hell for my parents. 30 students max per class (good for speech) and everyone is their for a reason. Unlike high school. NOW THAT IS WHAT I HATED.
    I drive fastly, call me Jeff Gordon, in the Black SS with the Navigation.

Silver Member
    Community college does suck. I only went there because I was too depressed to do anything else.

I go there for free. Actually, I get paid to go there. I bought my car with the extra scholarship money and still have some left. Love the car, but still hate that school so much and wish I would have stopped crying and gone to a university as I was supposed to.

Looking at it in an unbiased way.....it's transfer credit which is much better than nothing. Can't be that bad.
    Last edited by dietrying; 10-14-2007 at 03:48 PM.
    <33

Whats worse than the scam is the ridiculous amount of time it takes to complete a degree and the fact they're structured in such a way that it prevents students from holding proper jobs.

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet View Post
    Whats worse than the scam is the ridiculous amount of time it takes to complete a degree and the fact they're structured in such a way that it prevents students from holding proper jobs.
    How so? Most of the people I knew at community college worked 20+ hours a week. Sure, it took a while, but that's only because most people at university aren't working nearly as much, and surely work takes effort away from studies and delays the process.

All I'm saying is, I think it's mostly perspective; if you don't like community college, don't expect university to be much better. Unless of course you're all about the party scene, or research projects; otherwise, they're not all that different.

Community college is cheaper, gives you more time to work- financially, you are better off- just ask me. Anyway, I went to community college because I was homeschooled and didn't have a diploma and or a transcript with all the usual high school stuff- it wasn't because I got bad grades in high school.I needed to adjust to a classroom too. I have a mixed opinion on them- the instructers are more down to earth, and often better at applying things to real life, and they don't look down on students as much as some professors at 4 year places do. Then again, there are some real jokes of instructors- it varies- I've been there.

As for what you learn- some of it is more hands on than four year, the instructors tell more stories, apply it more to real life. But some classes are a joke. It is generally more entertaining than four year college in some ways..it is easier. But you do learn more in four years generally, but it is more real life at CCs. The people.. well, I will get to that.

It's way easier. I went from a community college where I got straight As to a prestigious private college. The classes were much harder and had a great deal more to do with real life. In community college, you learn a lot of facts. At a four year college, you learn how to apply those facts to real life. I am now in Grad School which is all about the application to your chosen career.

•  

• Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Related Articles & Books
    by Margarita Nahapetyan
    How much are men willing to spend while dating highly depends on a number of women available around them, claims a new research by the University of ...
    by Margarita Nahapetyan
    Flirting at workplace can indeed help women to get ahead and build their way to success. However, their colleagues will not like it at all, saying ...
    by Margarita Nahapetyan
    It turns out that the real problem for unemployed men is not that they cannot pay their bills, but that they actually cannot get dates, a new survey ...