Wisdom tooth peeking out... but no pain?

freeindeed

This morning I noticed a corner of a wisdom tooth sticking out of my gum, but there is no pain. When people say, "wisdom tooth coming in" does that mean it's actuallly growing in? Or rather that the gum that covers it is just receding? Will I have to pull out my wisdom teeth or can I just leave it there?

haha its odd that you're 26 and you just now see it coming in. that should've already happened by now. its not uncommon to NOT have problems with wisdom teeth. however almost everyone i know had to get them taken out, though i have all four of mine and zero problems. wisdom teeth have to get taken out if they are coming in at weird angles, not enough room in your mouth, or they start to cause pain.

I'm actually a dentist, so I can answer this one for you Wisdom teeth (like all teeth) actually DO grow in. They grow because as the root forms, the tooth gets longer until it begins to peak through the gums. They may or may not hurt depending on a number of circumstances. Mine hurt like CRAZY when they grew in. I was like a teething baby lol. Some people don't even know they're growing in until they're in the mouth because they have no pain at all.

The pain is not necessarily because it is "pushing against other teeth" which many people believe, but because of the same reasons it often hurts when a baby's teeth grow in. The gums around the teeth often become tender. Some people actually have jaw pain because there's just not enough room. But the pain that some people experience is caused by a number of different things...it just depends on the case.

To know whether or not you need to have them pulled, you need to see a dentist. There, they will take what's called a panoramic x-ray which will enable the dentist to see how the teeth are growing in. If you don't have enough room in your mouth for them, or they're growing in sideways or crooked, you will have to have them pulled. Just because you see a small part of the tooth peaking through the gum, it doesn't mean that they're growing in straight. The dentist (who will probably be an oral surgeon; your dentist can refer you to one) can pull them while you are sedated if you want (in some cases, they have to), so you won't feel or remember anything. Mine grew in straight when I was about 16. I had enough room and they're still there today. Some people choose to get them pulled just because they're often hard to keep clean and getting a cavity in them can be a pain in the butt later on in life.

If you do have any pain at any time due to your wisdom teeth coming in, you can take over the counter pain meds that you would normally take for a headache.

Hope this helps

I URGE ANYONE WHO HAS THEM PULLED TO BE SEDATED! LOL

I had two pulled while awake and it was traumatic. Took the dentist FOREVER and even tho numb i could hear bone breaking and he jarred my head all around. After well over an hour he gave up and said i can't get it you will have to come back. I got very upset and said i sat here all this time i can't leave until this is done. He had to get his DAD to come in and finish the job. His dad had it out in three minutes. The son was in his 40s and the dad was retired and worked there once a week and just happened to be there. He said "my son is a wuss he just wasn't strong enough". It was a horrific experience.

It made me never want to set foot in a dentists office again. I had the third one pulled while i was OUT!

To know whether or not you need to have them pulled, you need to see a dentist. There, they will take what's called a panoramic x-ray which will enable the dentist to see how the teeth are growing in. If you don't have enough room in your mouth for them, or they're growing in sideways or crooked, you will have to have them pulled. Just because you see a small part of the tooth peaking through the gum, it doesn't mean that they're growing in straight.

I must *strongly* recommend you go follow this advice right now. My wisdom teeth were coming in, no problems, no pain, as far as I knew. What I did not know was that they were coming in sideways. The pushed up against my back two molars.

Long story short?

All wisdom teeth pulled and two root canals & gold crowns. Don't ask about the pain. Besides the bill I received, it hurt really bad, too.

Yes, choose to be sedated! I love the fact that I don't remember a thing other than them counting and the last number I remember was 3. I woke up 30 minutes later and told them I wanted to go back to sleep. I was told I couldn't and they helped me down a hall to a room to recover.

The pain killers were really bad! I took one and then was puking all over the place. I wasn't in that much pain either but I was told to take them! I decided that puking everywhere was was worse than the ever so slight pain. Yes, I ended up throwing out a whole prescription of pain killers.

Archived