Punching walls to feel?

Harmony1224

Is punching walls to feel the pain a self injury like cutting? I am a picker I pick my face till it bleeds. And my current boyfriend if he gets angry he will never hit anything living but he likes to hit walls and hurt his had. I was thinking this has to been a form of self injury. I mean I pick when I am upset and I know that cutters cut sort of the same way I pick. So I was thinking that this has to be something other then stupid angry build up.

Am I on to something or have I gone crazy?

I also punch walls...for what reason, I do not know....I bleed, but then I stop for a while till the part that bleeds has been a bit healed...Well..Then I kinda start again....

I like to feel pain....When people do stuff to me like who knows what, it's like I have resistance....A few people even called me "Iron Man" before. w.t.f i'm only 14. >_>

You haven't gone crazy, but you're right it is a problem. There are things you can do in the short-term and in the long-term to sort out the picking though. I'd suggest putting antiseptic cream on them and covering them up in some way. Also, reminding yourself of how it will scar, remind yourself of how ugly it looks. Even bits of masking tape over your nails so it isn't as easy to pick those scabs. In the long term though, I would suggest seeing a doctor or counsellor about this.

As for your boyfriend, he needs to deal with his anger. Can't you install a punching bag somewhere so he can use that instead of walls? Sounds though, as if he needs anger management classes for his own safety. He could really hurt himself.

wall punching usually isn't a form of self inflicted pain so much as it is a display of aggression. the reason guys punch things when mad is because its a primal instinct for us to attack/damage something when we are angry or feel threatened. him punching a wall is done so to satisfy both his release of anger as well as his internal want to show off his "manlyness" that he feels is being assulted.

none of this is good...but it is what it is. putting a punching bag right next to the wall might not even change him from punching the wall because its more of a display to punch a hole in something your not suppose to hit rather than just punch the thing that is suppose to be punched.

the trick here isn't to provide him with something else to hit, but he needs to learn to channel that energy into something. he needs to learn self controll and learn to handle his anger better than a cave man.

usually a person learns not to punch walls anymore when they hit a stud instead of just sheetrock...hit it hard enough just once and you'll break your wrist & maybe even a couple knuckles...after that...you learn that you've been acting really stupid.

Self-injury is not 'going crazy' or anything like that.

It usually occurs because the person has a huge amount of internal pain inside of them that is bubbling below the surface, looking for a way to come out. This pain could come from a long time ago in the past, or more recently. It may not even be remembered.

If you want to stop self-injuring, the best thing to do is to try to think back to the first time you ever self-injured. And then think about the pain in your past that you think may be causing you to self-injure. Then to resolve those pains without self-injuring. Once those problems have been brought to your mind, and dealt with, the need to self-injure will leave.

My boyfriend always punches walls when he is angry.

I don't think it's self injury. I mere think it is a way to deal with their anger without taking it out on anyone specifically. I think he has problems explainning how he's feeling, so he shows it by punching walls. I think it's a cry for anger management.

But that's obviously my opinion.

I'm glad my boyfriend is not the only one with this problem.

• 9 months later...

There are many forms of SI. I've read that in some instances.. a person would use a stone to bash against thier own body, over and over. I suppose that instance is rare, but it doesn't make the person crazy.

Maybe instead of punching walls, you should Push walls to feel.

As in, going out of your comfort zone, Or starting from the inside and working your way out. Whatever you chose.. Punching walls, or inflicting any pain unto yourself, is not the way to go. Talk about your feelings. Meditate. Read the books. Seek help. =]

Because You Are Worth It.

I don't think punching walls is a form of self-injury. I have done many things to take out my anger/frustration/emotion. When I usta cut it was because I was upset with myself and wanted a release or reason for such emotion so i cut. When i get angry, i'm more prone to hitting walls, not to hurt myself but to get the anger out. Then I started to do other self-injury...like punching myself. Punching a wall and punching myself are totally different!

While they both stem from the inability to deal with emotions properly, when one hits another object but has no motives of hurting themselves, it is not self-injury.

If someone punched a wall to make their knuckles bleed...and didn't stop until they saw the blood, that would be self-injury.

• 1 year later...

Archived