The use of the "exclamation point" what does it mean?

hueman84

So yea, exactly as the title says, why do people (in this case girls) use exclamation points when they talk on the internet. Does it mean they are excited or do they just like adding that extra "!!" at the end of a word. Sometimes when talking to girls online I feel like the conversation isn't going so well or maybe they arent interested...but they still use so many damn exclamation points in their responses. What exactly does it mean? it just confuses me.

It's probably her typing style. I have a (male) friend like that.

Im not really referring to just one girl (even though right now it has to do with the one I am talking about in the Dating section), but there have been at least 3-4 girls that I have been talking to online that excessively use exclamation points, or if its not excessive its just not needed.

Im not really referring to just one girl (even though right now it has to do with the one I am talking about in the Dating section), but there have been at least 3-4 girls that I have been talking to online that excessively use exclamation points, or if its not excessive its just not needed.

I know, seems to be common. Some people just pick it up from their friends. I've noticed a lot more excitable girls than guys on the Internet or anywhere for that matter. lol

I think it's a way of lightening up a conversation....!! To show that you are being jokey, and that it's not a serious discussion, perhaps.

I mean, I *know* that exclamation marks are undignified and bad grammatically, but then equally with so much communication being done now online and via text, then I figure it's equally important to try to get the tone right. So there you go - an occasional exclamation mark softens the message... (I also have started using the elipsis ... far too much. Too kind of reflect my voice tailing off, I guess?!)...

I do it to emphasize what I am saying!

............................................................................._,-~"¯¯"~-,

..................................................................__„-~"¯¯

............................................................„~"¯

...................................................__„„„-"

..........................................__„-~"

..........................._______„~"___„-~"

......................,~"

...................,'

..............._,-'"~----"

............,-'

............|

............|

.........../

........./

......./

......,'

.....,'

..../

..,'

./

: : : : : |: : \

: : : : :

,: : : : : : : |

: : : \

: : '-,\

: '-,\

I concur!!

I used to think along the same lines as Batya. !'s used to annoy the hell out of me. But now I tend to use them frequently. As HP says, it lightens up what I'm saying. It's my way of communicating to the reader that what I'm saying isn't to be taken seriously. It's supposed to take the place of raaised eyebrows and a geeky smirk on my face.

I don't, however, understand why people use several of them in a row!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it's a way of lightening up a conversation....!! To show that you are being jokey, and that it's not a serious discussion, perhaps.

I mean, I *know* that exclamation marks are undignified and bad grammatically, but then equally with so much communication being done now online and via text, then I figure it's equally important to try to get the tone right. So there you go - an occasional exclamation mark softens the message... (I also have started using the elipsis ... far too much. Too kind of reflect my voice tailing off, I guess?!)...

Here here, i use exclamation marks when im in a light hearted mood & intend my comments to be read in jest. When you're chatting to someone online its hard to interpret the conversation as you cant actually "hear" their tone of voice. In my opinion there's nowt wrong with using excited full stops!

Archived