Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Member

The use of the "exclamation point" what does it mean?

So yea, exactly as the title says, why do people (in this case girls) use exclamation points when they talk on the internet. Does it mean they are excited or do they just like adding that extra "!!" at the end of a word. Sometimes when talking to girls online I feel like the conversation isn't going so well or maybe they arent interested...but they still use so many damn exclamation points in their responses. What exactly does it mean? it just confuses me.

Silver Member
    It's probably her typing style. I have a (male) friend like that.
    <33

Silver Member
    I do it to emphasize what I am saying!

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dietrying View Post
    It's probably her typing style. I have a (male) friend like that.
    Im not really referring to just one girl (even though right now it has to do with the one I am talking about in the Dating section), but there have been at least 3-4 girls that I have been talking to online that excessively use exclamation points, or if its not excessive its just not needed.

Platinum Member
    I find it is something teenagers and young 20s do far more than older people. I find it a bit immature and overbearing when it's overused in IMs or e-mails.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hueman84 View Post
    Im not really referring to just one girl (even though right now it has to do with the one I am talking about in the Dating section), but there have been at least 3-4 girls that I have been talking to online that excessively use exclamation points, or if its not excessive its just not needed.
    I know, seems to be common. Some people just pick it up from their friends. I've noticed a lot more excitable girls than guys on the Internet or anywhere for that matter. lol
    <33

I think it's a way of lightening up a conversation....!! To show that you are being jokey, and that it's not a serious discussion, perhaps.

I mean, I *know* that exclamation marks are undignified and bad grammatically, but then equally with so much communication being done now online and via text, then I figure it's equally important to try to get the tone right. So there you go - an occasional exclamation mark softens the message... (I also have started using the elipsis ... far too much. Too kind of reflect my voice tailing off, I guess?!)...
    “Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand - and melting like a snowflake…”
    (Francis Bacon, 1561 – 1626)

Quote Originally Posted by StarLily View Post
    I do it to emphasize what I am saying!
    .................................................. ..........................._,-~"――"~-,
    .................................................. ................__„-~"――:::,-~~-,_::::"-„
    .................................................. ..........„~"―::::::::::::::"::::::::::::::::::\
    .................................................. .__„„„-"::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::"~-,
    ..........................................__„-~"::,-'::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::"~-,
    ..........................._______„~"___„-~":::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::"-,
    ......................,~"::::::::::::::――::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::_„„-~,~~~~--,:|
    ....................:/:::::::::::::::::__„-~":::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::_,-~":'\'-,:\:|:\|::\|\:|:\:|
    ...................,'::::::::,-~~"~"_::',::|::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::,~':\'-,::',"-\::'':"::::::::\|:|/
    ..............._,-'"~----":::/,~"―"-:|::|::|:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::,~"::\'-,:\;;'-';;;;;;;;;;;,-'::\::|/
    ............,-'::::::::::::::::'-\~"O―_/::,'::|:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::,-',::\'-,:|::";;;;;;;;;;;;,-':\:'-,::\
    ............|:::::::::::::::::-,_'~'::::,-'::,':::::::::::::::::::::::::::::,-':\'-,:\'-,';;';;;;;;;;;;;;;,-':\:::'\-,|''
    ............|::,-~"::::::::::::::"~~":::,-'::::::::::::::::::::::::_,-~':\'-,|:"'";;;;;;;;;;;;;;,-'―::'-,:',\|
    .........../::/::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::_,„-~"―\:\'-,|;''-';;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,-'--,::\-:\:\|
    ........./::::|:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::,-';;'-';;;;',/;\/;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,-,|:::\-,:|\|..\|
    ......./:::::::\:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::,-';;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,-~'''("-,\:::|\:|::''
    ......,':::::::,'::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :,-'/;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,--'::::::/"~'
    .....,'::::::::|:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::,„-~"::|;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,-'::::::::,'::::/
    ..../:::::::::|:::::::::::::„---~~""―――::',:::::,';;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,'::::::::::: |_,-'
    ..,'::::::::::::",:,-~"―::::::::"-,::::::::::|:::/;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,':::::::|::::,'
    ./:::::::::::::::|:::::::::::::::::::"-,:::::::\:::|―――"""~-,~,_/::::::::,':::/
    :::::::::::::::::|::::::::::::::::::::::"~-,_::|::\: : : : : : |: : \::::::::/:/
    :::::::::::::::::|::::::::::::::",:::::::::::::"-':::\: : : : : :|: : :\::::::|::|\
    :::::::::::::::::|::::::::::::::::",:::::::::::::: ::::\: : : : : :\: : :|:::::|::|;;\
    ::::::::::::::::::"-,:::::::::::::::",:::::::::::::::/|\ ,: : : : : : : |::::,'/|::::|
    :::::::::::::::::::::"-,:::::::::::::::"-,_::::::::::\|:/|,: : : : : : :|:::|'-,/|:::|
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::"~-,_::::::::::::::"~-,_:::"-,/|/\:::::::::::\:::\"-/|::|
    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::"~-,__:::::::::::',"-,:::"_|/\:|\: : : : \::\":/|\|
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::"~-,_:::::\:::\:::"~/_:|:|\: : : '-,\::"::,'\
    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::"-,_:'-,::\:::::::"-,|:||\,-, : '-,\:::|-'-„
    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::,-,'"-:"~,:::::"/_/::|-/\--';;\:::/:||\-,
    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :/...'-,::::::"~„::::"-,/_:|:/\:/|/|/|_/:|
    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: |......"-,::::::::"~-:::::""~~~"―:::|
    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: |........."-,_:::::::::::::::::::::::::/
    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::\ .............."~--„_____„„-~~"
    I concur!!
    You can be more.

"Multiple exclamation points are a sure sign of a diseased mind." - Terry Pratchett

How true!!

Platinum Member
    I used to think along the same lines as Batya. !'s used to annoy the hell out of me. But now I tend to use them frequently. As HP says, it lightens up what I'm saying. It's my way of communicating to the reader that what I'm saying isn't to be taken seriously. It's supposed to take the place of raaised eyebrows and a geeky smirk on my face.

I don't, however, understand why people use several of them in a row!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Contrary to the common belief that online dating is only for the young individuals, the new research by two Bowling Green State University professors ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
How much are men willing to spend while dating highly depends on a number of women available around them, claims a new research by the University of ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It turns out that the real problem for unemployed men is not that they cannot pay their bills, but that they actually cannot get dates, a new survey ...