Taking a shower more than once a day bad for your skin?

Just wondering, Is taking a shower more than once bad for your skin?
    "Some people more than others judge people by their looks, moreover attractiveness probably most affects first impressions" (Livingston)

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift."

"To be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord." IICorinthians 5:8

Yep, you wash away all the natural oils that keep your skin supple and soft!
    "Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful." -Joshua J. Marine

Don't think so - mind you, I'm a moisturising fiend, and always slap on loads of body lotion. I often shower twice a day; have to shower in the mornings no matter what, and then I like a shower before bed as well.
    “Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand - and melting like a snowflake…”
    (Francis Bacon, 1561 – 1626)

Hi!

I think showering too much is bad for the skin as it does was away all the natural oils. It's like your hair, if you wash your hair to frequently it damages it and makes it lifeless.

MG x
    "Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you will land among the stars".

Or my personal favourite:

"If you want the rainbow ... you have to put up with the rain".

Platinum Member Miss Firecracker's Avatar
    http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologi.../dry_skin.html

This is good information. I have extremely dry skin and have learned how to deal with it better lately.

Platinum Member tylercdurden2004's Avatar
    I think you can get ringworm from showering to much and not drying off. I used to shower 3 times a day because I love the water.
    "Depend Upon it, Sir, when a man knows he is to be hanged in a fortnight, it concentrates his mind wonderfully." - Samuel Johnson

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Avatar: Whale Skin Hubcaps Dealer.

Are you a nice guy/gal? Read:

http://www.enotalone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136757

It can be. I've hurt my own skin in the past by being 'too squeaky clean' and found that it's okay to rinse off perspiration in cool water for a few minutes, but it's even better for my skin if I minimize soap usage and/or switch to a liquid glycerine soap (i.e. Neutrogena facial cleansers) which is less drying.
    Appo Deepo Bhava

It can be as it can dry out your skin.

As for ringworm another poster mentioned, that is actually a fungus you need to catch first from someone, though it does thrive in damp areas (like on wrestling mats or wet towels) so if you already have it, it may increase risk of an outbreak if you often have damp skin - otherwise you really need not worry about it unless you are in a high exposure hobby/occupation (like the aforementioned wrestling).

However, I often do shower twice a day (except of course when I am camping in middle of bush...then I jump in the lake a few times a day instead!) because I go for a run in the mornings and shower before work, but then I shower again after my commute (by bike) when I get home or after football practices/games. I only wash my hair one time/day though, and one shower tends to be just a rather short rinse with some moisturizing soap to get the perspiration off. And, I have no problems with dry skin or anything.

I think just find soaps/lotions that are moisturizing (many of the liquid soaps will have moisturizers added for example) and moisturize afterwards if you find your skin dries easily. Try not to use really hot water, as that will just dry your skin out even more.
    Last edited by RayKay; 08-13-2007 at 01:15 PM.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=darkolivegreen][B]<--- [COLOR=sienna]Carbun the Super-Bunny[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#556b2f][/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=darkolivegreen][B]At the end of the day, how you imprinted on someones life and heart is the only true mark any of us leave on this earth and is what we are most proud of... [/B][/COLOR][/FONT][I][SIZE=1]- My Biggest Hero and Mentor: My Mum.[/SIZE][/I]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=orange][B]Il faut d'abord durer [/B][/COLOR][/FONT][I][SIZE=1]- Ernest Hemingway[/SIZE][/I]

Platinum Member
    It depends on your skin type. Some people have very sensitive skin and showering too much can make them more susceptible to infections, either bacterial or fungal, depending on the ph, etc. of the skin and their exposure to various pathogens.
    If it works for you and you do not develop any sensitivity to the soap or start developing other problems, then you can keep showering as much as you'd like.

Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
According to the findings of a recent study, married women may find themselves drinking a lot more alcohol than single or divorced women, while ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It turns out that, when under stress, men tend to be attracted to women with a more curvaceous body type, found a new research, according to which ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Marriage and divorce are linked to weight gain among both women and men, and especially those who are over age 30, found U.S. sociologists. However, ...