Personal Growth, what does it mean?

OmegaMan

What does personal growth mean to you?

Does personal growth means always changing, always striving to become someone else?

Or does it mean getting to know you and accepting who you are (as opposed to trying to become someone else).

I was jogging today and this question kept swirling around my mind like a angry tornado (for lack of a better metaphor).

Part of me is assuming this is one of those pointless questions that you can't really answer much like the meaning of life or religion.

I'm reading a lot of things here, from different from different people all over the world. Different culture, different perspectives, different ideas, different concept of right and wrong.

Some people seem to suffer from one aspect of their personality.

My question is: Should we change those things about ourselves that make us suffer or should we learn to accept how we are, understand and function while being aware of our bad habits.

Instinctively I would assume the best answer here is to change all the time, to keep growing. But how can there be satisfaction if we always pursue something else, if we are never satisfied with who we are?

This is probably the result of too much of thinking but I'd like to hear your thoughts about that.

By all means they certainly don't have to be the same as mine.

Very philosophical question! I have so many bad habits that I never even know where to begin to reform myself, but like you, it feels instinctive to keep improving and to change for the better. Especially when I feel I am having problems with people, relationships, etc, but then you come back to... why should I change who I am? Should other people and indeed, myself, just accept that I am who I am? I don't know the answer to that one!

your right this post is a result of thinking to much...

To me personal growth is not really trying to be someone else but more just bettering ones self, learning and experiencing life.

being content and accepting who you are is part of the personal growth process which will still continue even if you are happy with everything.

you cant stop the process, nor would you want to. you'd just be static.

like a 8yr old kid saying he's done, doesn't need to grow anymore, he's satisfied with his life.

or i could just be on a completely different page than you...

What does personal growth mean to you?

Living in a more skillful way by paying attention to others and one's self; becoming experienced in the world.

Should we change those things about ourselves that make us suffer or should we learn to accept how we are, understand and function while being aware of our bad habits.

Well, from a Buddhist's perspective, of course I am going to say that we should work on our bad habits. However, I think regardless of what you believe in, what you follow, etc... it is always a good idea to at least become aware that what you do has an impact on others. Acceptance is relative. You can still accept yourself while in the process of change.

Instinctively I would assume the best answer here is to change all the time, to keep growing. But how can there be satisfaction if we always pursue something else, if we are never satisfied with who we are?

I think it depends on the person. I tend to think in terms of long-term gratification. I am satisfied with my life at the moment, but there is always something new to embrace as a human being. Like acceptance, you can still be satisfied but want to grow. You have to grow. There is no way around it. We are always changing, even if it is subtle.

The answer is simple, always changing, always learning, and always trying to better yourself. Reading any leadership books there are a few theories regarding the evolution of a human and the growing up they do at stages of there life.

I'll ask you a question in response to yours, what would your life be like if you never changed or improved yourself since birth?

I see your point, Cooperstown.

And to answer your question:

I'd be retarded.

But this isn't exactly what I meant. I'll think it for a while and try to rephrase it to my formulation is more representative of what I'm getting at.

Either way, the input is appreciated.

To me, personal growth is trying to improve yourself, in your areas of great weakness...whether it's in memory, love, career, or anything else. I guess that comes under the idea of perfectionism a little, but I choose to believe it is a time for us to push ourselves, until we are the best person, we can truly be..

Archived