Is this further proof...

donkeybum

I think it can be an absense of that. Probably also has to do with the loss of certain values. A higher population, more diverse culture, and tolerance for different lifestyles also contribute.

India has a population of over 1 billion....divorce rate 1.1% !!!!!!

I am trying to understand this......

tolerance for different lifestyles do you mean people have become too self centred?? too selfish to accommodate the one they consider "THE ONE"??

DISCLAIMER: I am not trying to anger/offend anyone. please don't take this personally...

Divorce rates are high in America because America has no values.

I am American, born and raised in NYC but let's face it: our people have no culture, they lost it all when they their parents/grandparents came here. Women are pressured by society and their families to go to school, get a career and be "independent". These same women find themselves alone at 35 with no kids or husband, sad that they are not married and they wonder why? Because they decided family wasn't as important as the almighty dollar and now they are paying for it.

So they continue to date with these ridicoulous standards (regarding looks, money etc) and they go from man to man (dating a hundred people at a time) and never find anyone, then they do find one they think and rush into marriage and end up getting divorced.

THERE ARE SOUL MATES, ITS THAT IN AMERICA, PEOPLE DON'T INITIALLY VALUE WHAT REALLY MATTERS IN A PARTNER.

another thing that bothers me (and i am confused too) is this statistic:

The divorce rate in America for first marriage is 41%

The divorce rate in America for second marriage is 60%

The divorce rate in America for third marriage is 73%

source: link removed

from what i have heard and read, people are supposed to learn from their mistakes and logically these numbers should go down!!!

I guess I am one of those career-minded independent women who hasn't been married...but I would much rather be me than one of those 20 year old brides who by 30 has had a couple of children, a husband who cheats on her, no income of her own and has to rely on what her husband decides to give her. I may be alone, but at least I have choices in my life and I am not abused by a man. In India the values are different and I seriously doubt if the divorce rate is so low because everyone is blissfully happy and content in their marriage. I think in the rural areas women are not treated very well. Look at a lot of countries...women are not treated well and can't escape abusive marriages. Better to be single, independent and free than shackled to an abusive person (be it male or female).

Thats a bit unfair...getting married young doesnt mean your completely devoid of choices...you and your example of a 20 y/o married are quite extreme. I know people who have had successful marriages in their 20's.

I think the divorce rate in India is so low because (generally) they dont believe in love at first sight, or 'mr. right'. They believe that you grow to love someone which is why arranged marriages are quite successful there. Its more economics before love.

Anyway, Atheist have a lower divorce rate vs. religious ppl.

Religion % have been divorced

Jews 30%

Born-again Christians 27%

Other Christians 24%

Atheists, Agnostics 21%

link removed

You can use google for more/better info.

I am sure that the divorce rates in India are not low because they are happy, I agree, but I can also tell you that, that has a big part to do with it. There are many countries whose divorce rate is low and it is surely not because they are content, BUT there are FAR MORE places were the divorce rate is low and it is attributed to HAPPY FAMILIES knowing what it means to be A FAMILY. This is heavily seen in most Latin American countries.

I am not putting down career oriented women. What is wrong, in my opinion, is that American women want a family and a career, yet they will choose the career over pursuing a family. Family is what holds everything together and in America, this "everyone for themselves, independent" - feminism garbage mentality DESTROYS the family unit.

You make it sound like most women who get married young and prefer A FAMILY over the ALMIGHTY DOLLAR end up sad in abusive relationships ... that cannot be any further from the truth. In actuality, you will find MANY MORE women SINGLE AND LONELY who have money up their you know what....

Again, I am not knocking women who want a career, money etc ... that is understandable...I am bashing the fact that in America, MONEY rules all...even family. Most people don't get a career because they LIKE IT...its because it will pay them ALOT. There is no PASSION. And it is sad that, again, MONEY rules over FAMILY. This is even a bigger problem because I believe deep down, subconsciously, most women want a family over money...but they have been brainwashed by this capitalistic mentality that money comes first.

By the way, my sister is 21. She is absolutely gorgeous, men flock to this girl. She just finished school and is now getting her masters. Her boyfriend is in Medical school abroad. These two have sucess written all over them, yet you know what their number one love is before anything? Family. They are planning to get married when my sister turns 24-25, they want kids before 30 so they can enjoy their youth with them. They've been together for 5 years with no breaks, or breakups, NOTHING. I can assure you this comes fromt he fact that they were both raised with the same values, mainly; FAMILY HOLDS EVERYTHING TOGETHER.

Perfect example of an INDEPENDENT WOMAN who wants a career, yet values family dear to her heart and won't let it slip.

well, i don't think you will find a completely blissfully happy marriage ANYWHERE in the world...there is no such thing, as far as my opinion...women in india have started to come up in the business/career chain too. agreed that a few low areas where poverty and illiteracy is extremely high, they are a bit down. and we cannot deny the fact that abuse occurs everywhere in the world not just developing/under developed countries...

ex: Pepsico CEO, Indra Nooyi, Forbes most powerful women in the world list number 1 is Sonia Gandhi, a politician in India!!!

Family is not always everything...and family doesn't always stick together. This whole "family values" thing is just a buzzword. Many of the politicians who promote this "family values" notion cheat on their wives. Families doesn't necessarily equal happiness...just look at the posts on these boards. Also, plenty of women have successful careers and families...you don't have to forgo a career in order to have a family. Also, not everyone wants children and there is nothing wrong with couples who choose to not have children. Plenty of women, both career women and those with who have jobs simply to support themselves, do want to get married or get married and have children but they haven't been fortunate enough to find a suitable match. There is nothing wrong with feminism in the sense of equality for women, equal chances for women and the choice of having children or not having children. Feminism is not evil it has opened doors to women that weren't there before. It is really unfair to blast women who either choose not to have a family or choose a career over having children. Far better to have a person who knows they don't want children and chooses not to have children, than the many dysfunctional people who have families and then mess up their children's lives because of their own dysfunction. Having a family is not the be all and end all of our existence. We can all make our mark on this world by simply being good people and TOLERANT people.

I don't see why a woman would choose a career OVER children... I'm thinking over mitigating factors may play a role in such a decision. Certainly, it's her choice, but to me... it makes no sense. And I'm a male... who wants kids and a wife, which is rare.

I have yet to meet a girl/woman who does not want to have kids.....i do admit not all females i know are career women, but quite a few are...

I never wanted children and I know quite a few women who also never wanted children, some of these women are not career women but do have a partner or husband. Also, in regards to someone's previous post, just because a woman wants a career, doesn't mean her motivating factor is money. I have a career and it certainly is not making me rich...but it is making me very happy because I enjoy the learning, growth and intellectual challenge which comes from my career. I also enjoy the interactions with other professionals. I am sure a lot of career women feel the same.

I don't see why a woman would choose a career OVER children... I'm thinking over mitigating factors may play a role in such a decision. Certainly, it's her choice, but to me... it makes no sense. And I'm a male... who wants kids and a wife, which is rare.

First of all, it is not at all rare for a man to want a wife and children. In fact, it is hard for a woman who doesn't want children to find a man who also doesn't want children.

I also don't understand why you think it is so odd for a woman to choose a career over children. Not all women want children and there is nothing wrong with that. I love dogs and pour my "maternal instincts" into my dog. I don't feel the need nor the burning desire to have children...never did. People told me I would change my mind as I got older. I never did change my mind. I like my career, I like my freedom, I like to be able to go out and run errands without having to worry about a child. I am not interested in reading the Little Mermaid over and over and over again...I am not interested in going to Disneyland, children's birthday parties etc. I am not interested in dirty diapers, spitting up, constant laundry, running to daycare, taking the kids from one activity to another, making sure the homework is done, lunches are made etc. I am not interested in dealing with the teenage years and all that angst. I have a lot of love in my heart which I give to my dog and my parents and to the people around me (volunteering, being a shoulder to cry on, helping friends in need). There is nothing unusual about my life just because I never wanted children.

It may not be "rare" for a male to desire a family, but it is less likely than a woman to desire one. That was my point.

My answer to the second part is because of genes, maternal instincts and the like. I'm sure I don't need to explain that to you. Hey, if you're happy, then that's all that matters, right? It's your life. I'm glad you sow into other people's lives, such as family, friends, volunteering and the like. That's good stuff.

I still find it unusual and that's that. I do not understand how anyone (especially a female) could love an animal over a human child. But why should what some stranger on the internet thinks matter? As long as you're happy... As I said, it's your life and that's that.

I still find it unusual and that's that. I do not understand how anyone (especially a female) could love an animal over a human child. But why should what some stranger on the internet thinks matter? As long as you're happy... As I said, it's your life and that's that.

agree.....

The feminism movement has been blown out of proportion. I can understand equal rights, but most feminist activist indirectly try to preach that the way to live is their dream of a messianic vision of a gender less utopia. GENDER EXIST. Most are very ignorant and the more recent are just trendfollowers. They believe being in tune with women's rights and women's advancement is the "cool" thing to do. They live to spread plain and simple the STUPID idea of a political-economic concept like equality on a personal, biological and mystical basis between genders, WHEN THAT IS NOT TRUE. There exist, I repeat THERE EXIST, biological.....psychological.....and mental differences between genders!! Otherwise there wouldn't be any genders!

ACCEPT THAT MEN ARE BETTER THAN ALOT OF THINGS THAN WOMEN WILL EVER BE AND THAT WOMEN ARE BETTER IN THINGS THEN MEN WILL EVER BE.

I was once called a sexist because I said in class that I would rather walk home my sister who was 5'2 than my male friend who was a football player and 6'3-245, to protect her. Are you serious?

In general I think that basic values are mostly distroyed and more and more people start living egoistic and selfish lives.. For no other reason I can imagine how can you start hating or dislike someone you once loved..

my point exactly....

good luck on your MBA and with everything else...

Cheers

Thank you

Don't let statistics bring you down, exeptions make the rules

statistics are just for the sake of discussion......life has already taught me there is no such thing as love....it's just two people trying to satisfy their individual selfish causes....once one of them is done, the "love" vanishes....

Archived