At what age does a man generally want to settle down?

I think this is a question for the psychologists out there... but in my experience, generally around the early 30s. Much sooner (like, early 20s) seems to not be a lasting experience. As I noted in one of the previous threads, I am in my 40s and not one of my friends/brothers/cousins etc is still with the same partner they took in their 20s...

However: I have seen many men who still try to be "playas" in their 40s and 50s so it really depends on the person in question.

I think it really comes down to the character of each individual person.

Like IronLion, I would do the same (I'm 22, but have felt this way for some time). But my family brought me up on quite old fashioned values, and I'm really not sure what the norm is.

Perhaps there are some statistics out there that could help in answering this question?

I think it really depends....each person has different goals and wants in life but I would say late 20s/early 30s.

Still, I would rather get serious with someone who has "enjoyed" his youth and experienced a lot of things BEFORE settling down.

Asking that question shows that you probably don't interact with a lot of men as friends or even acquaintances or you would know there is no answer to that question. In general, a man is ready to be in a healthy marriage when he feels like he can contribute emotionally and financially to a marriage and when he find someone he wants to share his life with. Things like schooling, career changes, family situations, personal issues can impact when that time is. It's no different for a woman.

If you're trying to apply statistical data to one man, you'll have a rough time. I don't think there's any one age. He may want marriage and change his mind. Sometimes a "settled down" guy can get restless and bail out.

Luckily I did the whole marriage bit as a young man, and now feel really settled down.

You can't really apply an age to that...while the average age of marriage for men is about 29 or 31 (I have seen both quoted - average age for women I have seen at both 25 and 27) that also means there are those whom married much younger, and much older.

Also, there is a difference between wanting and thinking you are ready to settle down and actually BEING ready for that commitment - I find this true of both men and women.There are many relationships where the partner is saying they are ready, and even making plans, but that turns around when they realize the importance of it maybe, or some other things that turn them off it.

Batya is quite right in that there are however many variables and individual charateristics that go into when someone is ready.

When I was 21 I was quite comfortable with idea of marriage, but now years later I look back at that and I have gone through so much growth that I do not see my 21 year old self as having been ready at all! So women too are affected by these variables.

Now, with my current partner, whom I have lived with for a while, I can say I would definitely be ready to marry him with a better understanding of what marriage is, and what is required of both of you. But back then, I probably would have acted more on the infatuation feelings thinking that would last forever, whereas now I realize love and marriage is about much more than feelings! It also depends on your relationship compatibilities, your goals in life, what you have grown up to believe about marriage, timing and also emotional and mental maturity.

For me, originally, I did not want to get married until I was exactly 30. Then my mind changed when I met the love of my life, or rather, former love of my life. Then I wanted to get married at 20 or 21. But that didn't work out, obviously.

But for me, right now, I'd say I'd like to be married... oh, about three years ago or so. (I'm 25, BTW.) So I'm overdue, IMO.

And FYI, the mean marrying age for men in the U.S. and Canada is roughly 29 for men, which is old. But yeah, that's the average age of men marrying in North America at the moment. At its highest in history, in fact.

I suspect a difference between the average age of marrying and the average age of wanting to.

Maybe among discontented losers like me. But probably not for the average person. If the average guy is marrying later, it's because he chooses to wait until later to settle down. There's less incentive to marry early these days, so men (and women) see no desire or need to do so.

Archived