Masterbation addiction?

valenski

Whats up enotalone,

I was having a discussion with some friends about a week ago and the topic of masterbation came up, some interesting questions came up that I'd like to ask you guys to give your opinions about.

1. Can one become addicted to masterbating? Its like sex and since it can be addictive so can masterbation but on the other hand there is so much more envolved in sex, what do you think?

1b. What are the symtoms that one would use to identify an addiction to masterbating?

2. What are, if any, the damaging effects of masterbation?

3. What kind of treatment would an addict receive, abstanance? Drugs?

4. If this were a serious addiction, would you say cybersex is an instigater?

5. Do you think there might be people out there addicted to masterbation and yet be unaware of it?

Looking forward to your views, thanks all.

I think that masturbation can be addicting, and that it would be characterised by having a comopulsive need to masturbate, and masturbating in places and at times that it is inappropriate to do so.

I don't think that cybersex is an instigator, but would probably be another part of a bigger problem.

If someone is addicted to masturbating I don't think that they would be unaware of it, rather that they would be in denial about their behavior.

Mastubation isn't damaging of itself, but extremely overdoing it could cause soreness and lack of sensitivity.

Treatment I'm guessing would involve abstaining from masturbation as well as identifying those things that trigger it off in the person.

I think the need to act in this matter may be fueled by other issues. Low self-esteem, social outcast, abused as a child etc.

Life is beautiful and mysterious, there are plenty of things to do, so keep yourself busy. And for fun, throw in some masturbation occasionally too!

People can get addicted to just about everything. TV, drugs, sport, alcohol, sex, masturbation, sugar, internetsurfing - you name it. People seem to be quite adept at finding their drug of choice.

I believe addictions are mostly a form of escapism, which becomes a problem when it prevents people from dealing with their real life.

(not that masturbation isnt real life, but I am sure that you get my point)

As someone who would love to someday be a monk, it seems like the most difficult hurdle to jump over is sexuality. A guy I know used to be a monk in Thailand, but eventually stopped when he gave in and started a family with a woman.

I'm not saying be celibate, but engage yourself in other desires. Surely there are better habits of desire and pleasure that may at least in part satisfy your craving for sexual pleasure. In any case, get away from the computer more. Get involved with other people, go for walks, read some books.

So in general, there are very few activities that are bad when done in moderation. Sexuality is a natural urge, so unless you are looking to become a monk or nun, don't worry about it -- just make sure masturbation isn't your only hobby.

I see addiction as a constant and time-consuming habit which interferes with other aspects of your life (responsibilites, friends, etc) and has a negative (during or after) influence on one's and on others.

• 3 weeks later...
Whats up enotalone,

1. Can one become addicted to masterbating? Its like sex and since it can be addictive so can masterbation but on the other hand there is so much more envolved in sex, what do you think?

Yes and I hate when people think you can't. Of course you can. It releases drugs into your brain when you have an orgasm.

1b. What are the symtoms that one would use to identify an addiction to masterbating?

You do it all the time like 4-5 times a day? maybe you ignore your work or school bf/gf. You don't want sex anymore because you are too tired? lol You can't stop thinking about it? You can't go a few days without doing it.

2. What are, if any, the damaging effects of masterbation?

I have no idea! Maybe mess up your insides or make your private parts sore??

3. What kind of treatment would an addict receive, abstanance? Drugs?

Learn to cut down on doing it. therapy?

4. If this were a serious addiction, would you say cybersex is an instigater?

Yes because it leads to it.

5. Do you think there might be people out there addicted to masterbation and yet be unaware of it?

Sure because there are alcoholics out there who don't know it. the only way the ppl who are addicted to masturbating would find out is if a friend/family member told them OR if they tried to cut down or stop and found out they COULDN'T!

Looking forward to your views, thanks all.

No prob!

p.s. I am NOT addicted

Archived