Period Odor Problems

Cardinal

I am intimate with a female friend of mine who has very strong odor down below. About 4-5 days before her period started, I could smell her down there. That was about Sunday and her period still hasn't fully kicked in now on Friday. I know she doesn't have an infection and she told me her periods are normally very heavy. I told her about the odor, and she said it is normal for her and that it doesn't bother her. She mentioned that she could water douche but she said that isn't good for her and that it wouldn't be good to do often. Her diet seems to be decent and she is conscious to avoid anything that might lead to a yeast or other infection.

So far, the best we have been able to do is shower directly before sex. The smell is mostly but not completely gone after that. It returns within an hour or two and gets progressively worse as time passes. The reason I started the thread is that the smell is bad enough that is kills my arousal and is definitely impacting our sex life. I hate to use the word revolting, but it honestly is. I can easily smell it through shorts and panties to the point that we can't be intimately close without her showering right beforehand.

Those who know me know I am very attracted to that part of a woman's body. Among other things I love going downtown and anything else to do with stimulating that area. To be turned off by that is a very bad thing for both of us. Suggestions on what else we can do about it? My biggest fear is that it may not be just a period issue. She may have odor problems down there in general and I don't want odor problems to mess up what could be a great time for both of us. This isn't really something I can easily ignore, even during regular sex. She gets very wet down there and I want to be majorly turned on, not off by that.

This sounds very abnormal. A woman who showers frequently should not have odor like that unless there is something else going on. Periods do not even cause bad odor if one is very clean. She should see a doctor, a different one since she claims hers says no infection.

That does not sound right at all. And I don't blame you, what a turn off that would be.

Hazel,

We have a good friendship that will last with or without the sex benefits.

Let me rephrase. She is damn good in bed overall with a very high sex drive that surpasses mine. The list of problems I foresee with her is a very short list indeed. Currently, this is the only thing that is keeping us from having a great time together in bed.

Hence why I want to deal with it rather than move on.

A period can flucuate the odor, because of the ups and downs of hormones. Another thing that can affect that odor is stomach/ intestinal problems and/or different things she is eating.

That's all I can surmise from your post. Perhaps you are just very sensitive to that odor?

flower,

We haven't been together long. We have been friends for months but intimate only the last week or so.

jadedstar,

Yep. Now that I think more about it you are absolutely right. It is highly abnormal. I have smelled this type of odor once or twice before, but nothing even close to this powerful. The actual period smell and smell of blood can be kind of mildish. Or it seems to be most of the time for me with past partners. Never has been an intimate issue that is for sure.

Elektra,

Sensitive to her odor, yes. But I think almost all men would find that particular odor a problem. I am not sensitive to period or vaginal odor in general. I have even found some body odor on women to be quite hot.

She may have an STD such as BV (Bacterial Vaginosis). BV is associated with with a foul unpleasant odor. It is treated with an antibiotic such as metronidazole or clindamycin. Whenever I see a 2 gram dose of metronidazole coming in, I know the woman has BV She should get checked out by her physician because if it is a case of untreated BV, it can lead to Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)--which can cause infertility!

Any woman can get BV. However, some activities or behaviors can upset the normal balance of bacteria in the vagina and put women at increased risk including:

Having a new sex partner or multiple sex partners,

Douching, and

Using an intrauterine device (IUD) for contraception.

It is not clear what role sexual activity plays in the development of BV. Women do not get BV from toilet seats, bedding, swimming pools, or from touching objects around them. Women that have never had sexual intercourse are rarely affected.

For more information and to educate yourself about BV you can check out the following link:

link removed

Some women do have a stronger 'odor' down there more than others, and she may have some sort of endocrine imbalance that causes her to sweat more and thus have more odor.

But she should have a thorough exam just to rule out infection and then you can go from there.

You've already tried the showering before intimate contact, douching is bad for a woman and can actually give her an infection so it's not a good idea to encourage that- doctors actually recommend not douching as the vagina cleans itself naturally and to do so increases the risk of infection...

She definitely gets wetter down there than any other girl I have been with. So if that extra sweating is causing an issue, that could be part of it. Also, when she sweats normally she does have an actual body odor that isn't the greatest. A shower immediately fixes that body odor and we have no issues at that point.

I will broach the issue of a possible infection down there when I see her again. It is bound to be something out of the ordinary. I'll also do some independent research on bacterial vaginosis.

This girl works in molecular biology so she won't be averse to getting whatever tests she needs from her doctor. She is more astute than the average person wrt to hormones/biology etc.

Based on what I can gather from your post it sounds like this could be a dealbreaker for you but your'e not sure. It's very important to be honest with yourself about how you feel about it. Just be sure you're prepared and willing to do a lot of communicating and hard work for you two to work through it. Ultimately though, I think the make up of her body is what it is and you will have to decide whether you can accept it or not.

Sounds like an abnormal thing. Could it be her body make up as jul-els says?

I read about this topic a couple of times here, I wish I can help. It's really freaking me out, I mean, it can't be something that she's been living with forever. Maybe it's something she has recently developed.

I'd say it's either an infection or it's caused by her diet. I read somewhere that sodas and anything containing preservatives are too strong on the stomach. So in the process of digestion, they are flushed out in the form of a bad odor. It's somehow logical, I mean bad breath, and a bad odor in sweat or in one's private parts, all of that can be caused by one's eating habits.

Some women have stronger vaginal odors, diet and natural body chemistry can effect it. You said her sweat odor is strong, so it sounds like part of her. If she eats lots of certain veges or strong spices it will come out in her body secretions. Cranberry juice can help to a degree, but it won't change her scent completely. Also, the amount of water she drinks in a day can effect the strength of her odor, less water means the odor will be stronger.

There are some good and very mild "feminine wash" products sold over the counter that might be an option too. They aren't douches or soaps and don't disturb the natural balance. I had a girlfriend in college who had the same problem and she was very embarrassed by it. She had good luck with the washes.

I think there are also natural supplements sold at health food stores that claim to help with the problem.

Wow, perhaps she should see her gyno about that. It's isn't unusual to have an odor a few days before the start of her cycle and during but it shouldn't be overpowering. Perhaps she may not be washing herself properly. A vagina is much like a penis. You have to pull skin back and wash in between, etc. And no, douching is a very bad idea. I was told by my gyno to never do it again when I was doing it. Does she smell at any other time other than what you've specified?

I saw her again today after I made the post.

Definitely things were better. She had a shower before I came over. Maybe tmi, but she was definitely on her period now. Whatever the odor was, it wasn't anything like blood. She was bleeding heavily enough and I noticed no overt foul odor today.

Still thinking it may be some sort of odd infection/diet issue. That seems most likely.

I was with her long enough that if the odor was still there, it would have cropped up and I would have smelled it. Perhaps an infection can cause an odor only part of the time? Otherwise sounds more like her/her diet.

• 5 years later...

Bacterial Vaginosis is not an STD first of all. It is an imbalance in the delicate PH that a woman has down there. It can be caused by many things. I always had odor problems when the guy I was with would cum in me because for some reason his semen through me off. Usually when a woman has BV the odor is strongest when she is aroused and wet. It usually smells like a very strong fishy odor. Normally women don't really have a smell down there, unless it's a faint musky, clean smell. Anything beyond that (if her hygeine is good) is either due to BV, or the STD Trichomonius, which can commonly be mis-diagnosed as BV if the doctor doesn't put the specimen under the microscope . Trich is a parasite, not a bacterial infection, or it could just be that time of the month. A woman's smell can change around her period beccause not only of the hormone changes within the body, but also the fact that she is shedding dead skin from her uterus, keep that in mind. She should see a doctor.

Archived