Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

How common is it to end up marrying your first love?

I'm almost 19 and I have been dating this one guy for the past 5 and half years (since the 8th grade). It started out as what young love should be- innocent and not sexual in any way. Over quite some time our relationship progressed. We are now very close, are each other's best friend, and we love each other very much. We never fight, but we still do have disagreements, which we talk over and resolve the same day. He makes me feel special and loved, and I do the same for him. He is so caring and respectful, and has almost everything that I would want in a lifetime partner. I have never come across anyone else that I could see myself dating. I think he quite possibly could be the one

The thing is, he is my first boyfriend, and I'm his first girlfriend. I don't need to date other guys to see how they are, and realize what jerks they can be. Is it possible to have found the perfect match without dating others?

Platinum Member
    Yes, it is.

Meeting the right person is a matter of chance. For some people it might be the third or tenth person with whom they have a relationship. But it could just as easily be the first. It is not at all unusual for people to reconnect with their first love several years after breaking up and resuming the relationship and wishing they had not wasted the intervening years on other people.

There are many, many couples who marry and live happily together.

Me, personally, it took about 8 women, but NOW the time has come and I have found the perfect partner.
    Advice given is only as good as the details you provide, and even then it's just an opinion. No one knows the situation as well as you do, so trust your gut.

Hi Pesh,
    I think that what you have is great, but you are also very young. I think that yes it is possible to have your first love be your soulmate. I have 6 sisters, and 4 of them married their first loves. I have had many conversations with a few of them on this issue. I am 32, and still am not married. I have dated, traveled, lived on my own and have had lots of fun. Every one of my sisters have said that they wish that they had done it like me. They wish that they had seen a little more and experienced a little more before they married. They are all happy and have great guys, but all married their firsts.
    I think that if you feel in your heart that he is the one, and you enjoy him, then follow your heart. Remember though, you are young and have not experienced what it is like with anyone else to compare it too. Just enjoy what you have now, and don't worry about is he the one. If it is meant to be, it will be, now or ten years from now.. Have fun,live and enjoy life. you may be suprised how much you change over the next few years... Good luck!!!

you could have! my parents were each others first love and have been married 35 years! it sounds like you have the real deal but........with age, people do change, I say grow a little together first. I actually grew out of my first love. you change into different people when you get older so, just give it time.
    Last edited by Yvette84; 04-18-2007 at 09:10 PM.

I don't think it's very common, but it does happen.
    By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest. - Confucius

You have a right to experiment with your life. You will make mistakes. And they are right too.- Anais Nin

I've seen it happen a lot.
    I've also seen people spend decades seeking the imaginary perfect spouse.
    << Vigilance.

no such thing as a perfect spouse unfortunately. love comes in all shapes and sizes, if you find what you truly want..go for it, thats my philosophy

Platinum Member
    Well for a snap survey...I have 10 close friends, we have all known each other from schooldays and continue to hang around as a "group" and all are now married.

Of the group, 1 basically married his first love. Instinctively I feel it would be something around this mark, 1 in 10 people marry their first love. I think DN said it best,

Meeting the right person is a matter of chance. For some people it might be the third or tenth person with whom they have a relationship. But it could just as easily be the first.

I have "dated" well over 50 people... and my current bf is the closest I have come to the "perfect" man.

Im jealous, there is no reason why you and this guy shouldnt be together, DONT listen to other people if they tell you to break up... YOU decide what is good for your relationship.

You are a very lucky woman
    Dont let the self-rightous dictate your own mind to you...

12. 04-18-2007, 10:10 PM

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Contrary to the common belief that online dating is only for the young individuals, the new research by two Bowling Green State University professors ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
How much are men willing to spend while dating highly depends on a number of women available around them, claims a new research by the University of ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It turns out that the real problem for unemployed men is not that they cannot pay their bills, but that they actually cannot get dates, a new survey ...