Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eating, but never getting full!

Eating, but never getting full!

Does anyone else have this problem? Lately, I have been eating, and I never get the message to my brain that says "I'm full." I could seriously just eat all day and never stop. I don't know what is going on, but I am afraid of blowing up! I'm already trying to slim down, and this isn't helping. This is something that is recent.

I'm trying to drink lots of water, decaf tea, fruits and veggies. Somehow it isn't helping. And I'm not pregnant or on any medications. I am kind of stress out these days, I am not sure if that is it or not. (I can be an emotional eater if I am not careful.)

Any suggestions how to get this to stop?
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1.

annie, i know how you feel. i love food. what helps me a lot actually is exercising. i hate to ruin hard work by eating it all away also it really helps me get out my stress and i love getting outside to do it. also, this might sound weird. but i brush my teeth a lot. b/c i hate eating after i brush my teeth!

annie you need to eat with others, what you have is a case of the "hungry ghost" no matter what you eat, your stomach seems slightly bloated and are never satisfied. Ask a friend to go with you to your favorite restaurant, spend about three hours, order wine, order desert, savor every bite but MOST of all start conversations before you eat anything, and only eat after you have felt that your stomach wants it to be nourished by the food.

Indian food is good for that, very savory. Not able to eat it that fast.

Deep inside myself searching for motivation and inspiration
    Annie,

Are you eating protein, too?

Fruits, veggies and water don't fill me up. Bread and other 'carby' stuff don't cut it long term, either (I get hungry after a bowl of oatmeal, for example). But if I add an egg or a few slices of bacon to my meal, I feel satiated longer and as a result, I eat less.

How are your hours? Are you staying up late a lot? When I do that, I seem to feel/get more hungry.

So in a nutshell:

1) Eat more protein
    2) Get sufficient sleep
    3) Add exercise (walking is great)
    4) Never deprive yourself of food or an occasional treat (because that is when you'll end up eating more)

6. 04-09-2007, 01:22 AM

Gold Member
    Maybe it is worms. I had worms when I was a child. They the worms eat all the food you eat, so you are never full. I remember I would eat and eat and eat but was still hungry. So my mom took me to the doctor, and they discovered worms inside me. Not to gross you out, but they had to pull them out manually out from my anus.

Go to a doctor and tell your doctor about your symptoms.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by annie24 View Post
    Does anyone else have this problem? Lately, I have been eating, and I never get the message to my brain that says "I'm full." I could seriously just eat all day and never stop. I don't know what is going on, but I am afraid of blowing up! I'm already trying to slim down, and this isn't helping. This is something that is recent.

I'm trying to drink lots of water, decaf tea, fruits and veggies. Somehow it isn't helping. And I'm not pregnant or on any medications. I am kind of stress out these days, I am not sure if that is it or not. (I can be an emotional eater if I am not careful.)

Same with me, my roommate, my room mate's GF, and my other roommate. I think it's just something in the air :P

But to feel full, you need more fiber in your diet. Incorporate more water and oatmeal.

I am kind of stress out these days, I am not sure if that is it or not.

Yes thats it. I used to eat a lot of chocolate when i was studying or a lot of brazilian nuts, almonds...

Also I tend to eat always just a little bit less - I stop eating my lunch when I am not having this feeling of beeing completely full. I just learned to live with it!
    Oh, but I eat pretty much often - ever 5 to 4 hours because of that.

How to stop?
    I don't know. Try to control yourself.
    Buy healty snacks - like fruit and forse yourself to eat that only between the meals.
    The trick I used - I was chewing a chewing gum when studying for example. Kept me occupied from bitting my lips and eating almonds, raisins and chocolate.
    So I was constantly on the chewing gum with a bottle of water.
    Chewing gums are not the healthiest thing in the world...but what can you do?
    Be careful they can have laxative effect if consumed in big amounts.

I am kind of stress out these days, I am not sure if that is it or not
    Stress makes you seem like you haven't ate even when you know you have a stomach full of food.

You can do some exercise to balance out what you've taken in. Then just wait till stress go by.

That's the most accessible way.

The other way is to handle stress by being proactive about your source of stress.

That kind of situation happens to me when I feel like i wasn't prepared for an exam or that a project is due soon. It would have been better to prevent it, but at the critical times, I try to handle stress by studying/doing my assignments. That'll make me feel better at the end of the day & less stressed out the day after.

I've seen some of my friends add 10-20 pounds in their post secondary life.

I'd second what hosswhispra said about protein and also remind you that it is the fat content in food that gives saiety value (feeling 'full') and carries flavor. That egg or a few slices of bacon she mentioned in her post not only have protein, they also have fat. If I have my usual breakfast of cereal, milk, fruit and tea I'll get hungry after 4 or 5 hours. If I add a couple strips of bacon, it adds 1-2 more hours before I'm hungry. Don't always have time for the bacon, nor do I want it every day...but that's just what I've noticed.

If you have cut out/cut down fat, that may part of your problem. You may need to add some back in. While that may be counterintuitive, wouldn't it be better to have some fat, feel full, and eat less/feel less hungry overall than to be eating piles of vegetables and never feeling satisfied?
    "And all I can think is that it must be a kind of rebellion
    to arm your fears like soldiers and to slay them...." -The Airborne Toxic Event

"All you need to understand is everything you know is wrong." - Weird Al Yankovic

LOL, I don't think it's worms (although I have had that concern when I've traveled abroad and came back losing weight for no real reason!)

Thank you for all your suggestions, I'll give them a try. Yeah, I have been really stressed and busy these days, I kind of just scarf down my lunch to get back to work (usually a sandwich, diet soda, fruit) in like 7 minutes and I think I am still hungry because my brain doesn't remember eating. Eating slower may be a way to go.

I usually eat a healthy breakfast and lunch and have small snacks (low fat pudding, yogurt, granola bar), but then around dinner, I'll wind up eating a lot + chocolate! And still wind up hungry! I hope this passes in a few weeks, I'm not gaining weight yet, but I will if this keeps up. yikes.

I'll try your suggestions and see if anything works. I would love to use those appetite control pills, but all I've heard is that they are bad for you.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
According to the findings of a recent study, married women may find themselves drinking a lot more alcohol than single or divorced women, while ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It turns out that, when under stress, men tend to be attracted to women with a more curvaceous body type, found a new research, according to which ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Marriage and divorce are linked to weight gain among both women and men, and especially those who are over age 30, found U.S. sociologists. However, ...