Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Question Guys- what about the "Grand Gesture"?

In a female's attempt to maintain a relationship- she often considers the
    "Grand Gesture". That fantasy moment in the movies when she does something completely bizarre/dramatic or unbelievable to make the point
    that she has chosen you and wants no one else.
    Guys- how does that concept sit with you? Are you impressed at all?
    Flattered? Does it sway your perception of the female? Good or bad?

Gold Member
    I am not really sure what grand gesture you would be referring to...

For me, the grand gesture would be if my girlfriend runs up to me, hugs me, and starts making out with me in front of everyone else. LOL.

You ask what perception it would give ? I don't know...who cares about what other people think of you. If you love each other and are committed to each other, that is all that matters.

I remember I was staying in a hostel in Australia once, and there was this German couple there that were making out on the balcany for over three hours. Then they went down stairs into a "movie" room ( a tv with a dvd player near the entrance) and spent another 2 hours making out. LOL. But if you love each other, who cares what other people think...

I'm not a guy, but I do understand what you're asking here... IMO it's always nicest when the GUY is the one fronting the "grand gesture" hehe. And I am a total sucker for it. I've never been the, uh, grand gesturER (at least not yet) but would hope that if my BF was on the receiving end of such a display he'd be flattered and smitten. Looking forward to more responses to this thread!
    Jayar

What if you don't know if the other person loves you?
    Grand gesture like:
    Sleepless in Seattle (top of the Empire state building)
    Say Anything (holding a boom box up in the rain)
    My best friend's wedding (telling him you love him on his wedding day)
    Wedding Crashers (professing your love in front of a crowd)

breaking into song in a crowded room
    etc,
    etc.

Those are all movies.

What about real life?
    "A productive and happy life is not something you find. It is something you make." Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Be kind. Everyone you meet is engaged in a great struggle." -Plato

"I have sad misgivings that I shall never find any consolation in life save in music" - Bela Bartok

Platinum Member BeStrongBeHappy's Avatar
    those kind of things work quite well in movies (music swelling in the background, etc. etc.), but depending on what you do and how and in front of whom, the guy might not appreciate it, or think you are cracked...

a good relationship is built on lots and lots of small good (and great) moments, not just grand ones, and a bad relationship won't be saved by a grand moment, which in fact might push the person into recognizing the one making the grand gesture doesn't 'get' that the feelings not mutual...

so a grand gesture can be fun if everyone is on the same page (love all around), but mostly only succeeds in the movies when the relationship is rocky or non-existent when the gesture is made...

Never had any grand gestures in my life.

Can't say I am missing them. For me they are something that only exists in the movies. I don't crave any grand gesture at all.

Sometimes it's difficult to tell the difference between Grand Gestures and mental instability.

I'm not a guy, I'm a woman. lol. But I know what you are getting at.

My Grand Gestures have often actually been displays of slight instability and/or 'that last stab' to make something work.

I've had mixed success. Overall, I'd say they were tolerated when the person already loved me and we already had a good relationship.
    Sometimes tolerated with a grin and thought 'charming' (a quirk of me, I suppose), other times tolerated with annoyance! and followed by a discussion of how I need to express myself more readily and practically.

80's movies!! The Highlight of Grand Gestures As Charming....and totally corny.

Are you thinking of executing a GG?

I am considering a Grand Gesture move- but it would be to get answers to unanswered questions.
    Like the last attempt concept.

Gold Member
    A hot air balloon ride and a candle lit picnic under the stars would be a grand gesture i guess...thatz what i would like....

but as another poster said, its about lots of little things, not a few big things, that really makes the difference...

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
One of the biggest causes of stress and unhappiness in life are failed relationships. Making a relationship work is one of the most important life ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It has been universally acknowledged that having a long distance relationship is not such a good idea, especially if there is no known end-date to ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Some people say that when we deeply love or care about someone we automatically open the door to betrayal. I am not sure whether such statement holds ...