Does Proactive work for blackheads?

I don't really get much "breakouts" anymore, but what I do have is blackheads, especially on my nose. How effective is Proactive solution on blackheads? I was under the impression that it was mostly for pimples. Or if anyone can share how they got rid of blackheads that might help too.

I don't know about Proactive. I do know that a white wash cloth (no dyes) and strong rubbing alcohol (90% or higher) and a good scrubbing works very well for me. It not only disinfects, but it also disolves the grease that makes the black heads and the terry washcloth reaches into the pores and cleans them out (along with the alcohol).

Also, drinking more water and reducing the fat intake in your diet also helps keep your pores clean, IME.

Before doing anything, take a hot shower or hold your face above a pot of hot water (carefully though, you don't want the steam to burn you)...It helps unclog the pores and really does make the gunk easier to get out. Then use a good exfoliator with salicylic acid (try Neutrogena). Follow up with a good astingent (witch hazel is cheap, but works really well, if your skin isn't sensitive to alcohol).

Every once in a while you can try using a clay mask after cleansing your face (Clinique has one that works well for me). And yes, do drink lots of water.

Archived