Does skin shrink with weight loss?

I've been trying to lose weight for a while now, and have finally fell into a consistent routine. I heard that if you lose weight gradually then you won't have excess skin? Is this true, will my skin shrink as I lose weight?

I've lost about 30 pounds in the last two years, after going back and forth with excercise and diet. I want to lose 40 more pounds but I'm going to try and do it consistently, not going back and forth for a couple years. If I make it a goal to do this with in the next 5-6 months, is it too much too fast for my skin to keep up?

Yes, the more gradually you lose it, the more easily your skin will tighten. I lost 50 lbs over the course of about 6 years, and didn't notice any excess skin, even on my breasts.

Just make sure you don't gain any of the weight you've lost. The yo-yo thing is the worst thing you could do for your skin. And drink lots of water.

How did your skin respond when you lost the 30 pounds?

The younger you are- the more likely it is to be stretchy and bounce back.

Everyone is different though.

BellaDonna

I haven't noticed any excess skin, its kinda hard to tell though. I guess I was worried if I lost alot of weight again then there was bound to be some excess. I mean I have lots of stretch marks and stuff, it seems like there's too much for it to go back where it was 6-7 years ago.

Yes, the more gradually you lose it, the more easily your skin will tighten. I lost 50 lbs over the course of about 6 years, and didn't notice any excess skin, even on my breasts.

Just make sure you don't gain any of the weight you've lost. The yo-yo thing is the worst thing you could do for your skin. And drink lots of water.

oh no! its only after the yo-yo thing the past couple years that I've finally settled at losing 30 pounds from my original weight. I guess I just have to make sure not to gain anymore, its so hard to be consistent though!

I am working at it though, trying to make my eating habits better, etc., and I definitely drink lots of water, so I'm glad about that.

Make it your main goal to keep off what you've already lost. For instance, lose 5 lbs and then spend the next couple of months maintaining your new lifestyle. Once that's become habitual, move on to the next 5 lbs. You say you want to lose 40 more lbs and that makes me a bit apprehensive because it's such a huge goal. When you set really big goals it's easier to have relapses, so just pat yourself on the back for the 30 you've already lost and focus on the next 5 for now. You have the rest of your life to be thin. Take your time getting there!

• 1 month later...

I am losing weight or really trying (again). I was concerned about the sagging skin issue. What to do to make the skin shrink with the weight loss or if I would require surgery afterwards when maintaining the weight loss.

I am 49 and have done the yo yo thing most of my life since 18, but have never had the sagging skin problem. I have an older sister that lost weight several years ago and has the "turkey neck waddle" and she hates it. I am doing the neck stretch exercises to try and prevent this.

When I started doing this, I was 285 pounds, I am 6'2". In the past two weeks, I have lost a total of 22 pounds. Simply by cutting back on the bread and not eating after 7 p.m. at night. Eating before bed was my biggest problem, I think. But the weight loss I have been experiencing has me feeling I am right. I want to lose about 40-60 pounds more.

Will water help the skin keep the elasticity? Or improve it. Are there any vitamin suppliments that should be taken? I have noticed no sagging yet, but anything to help prevent it would be nice. Any suggestions anyone??

Thanks!

PS... I have felt fantastic and more energetic since this weight loss. Anyone wanting to know what it feels like, go to the grocery store, pick up 4 5 pound bags of sugar and carry them around all day for a while...

I was heavy my entire life, but lost 100 pounds between the ages of 28 to 30 simply by diet and exercise. (Funny how that actually works ) Anyways, I had tons of excess skin that I couldn't do a thing about. I spoke with a couple doctors and they said my only option was plastic surgery. Ended up getting a tummy tuck which removed 10 pounds of skin. Still have some loose skin on the back and the arms that I may decide to nip and tuck at a later date.

Hopefully your skin will be more elastic.