I think I have a major cold/flu

Last night I ate a burger late in the evening. Went to bed and woke up a few hours later feeling queasy. Couldnt go back to sleep real well because stomach felt queasy. Took some TUMS thinking heartburn. Slept a few. Woke up and threw up badly. Then went back to sleep for a few more hours. Now I am awake, my body is aching like hell (muscles and bones ache), I feel hot and cold, and I feel like crap. My stomach is also acting up again. Ugh!

I have drank water like hell, drank white soda. What else should I do to take care of this problem. I don't think I need to see a doctor, but I feel like crap. And my stomach is still not feeling good, but now it is not the throwing up thing anymore.

Last night I ate a burger late in the evening. Went to bed and woke up a few hours later feeling queasy. Couldnt go back to sleep real well because stomach felt queasy. Took some TUMS thinking heartburn. Slept a few. Woke up and threw up badly. Then went back to sleep for a few more hours. Now I am awake, my body is aching like hell (muscles and bones ache), I feel hot and cold, and I feel like crap. My stomach is also acting up again. Ugh!

I have drank water like hell, drank white soda. What else should I do to take care of this problem. I don't think I need to see a doctor, but I feel like crap. And my stomach is still not feeling good, but now it is not the throwing up thing anymore.

Could be a gastric bug or equally could be food poisoning from the burger, although I will steer clear of making such an accusation against the establishment that you bought it from for fear of legal action!

Either way the advice is going to be pretty similar. Keep up your fluids, if not water then weak diluted fruit drinks. Take paracetamol for the fever and aches/pains as it is likely to be the least harsh on your stomach. Get plenty of rest, take Tums/Rennies/other antacids to quell the over acidity you are bound to be experiencing. When you're not sleeping then try to keep your mind occupied with something, like reading a book.

If you don't feel much improved within 48hrs of the onset of symptoms then see your doctor. And similarly if the symptoms worsen significantly then see your doctor.

I really hope you feel better soon, take care...

p.s. this is only my unprofessional opinion based on zero medical training. Based purely on good advice that I have received in the past.

Fluids (water, lucozade)

Rest

Regular Paracetamol

If you can get up and walk to the bathroom without feeling like you need to stop and rest half way there and then lie down when you get there it's not flu.

Lucozade (allowed to go flat if fizzy) is a really good call. Can help a lot, I have used it with stomach upsets in the past. Why didn't I think of that, darn!

You don't need to see a doctor unless your symptoms worsen and by worsen I mean you can't physically get out of bed, you haven't kept any fluids down for over 48hrs, your temperature increases to abnormal levels or your breathing is affected. There aren't any meds the dr will prescribe for flu or flu like symptoms except the normal everyday over the counter stuff like paracetamol. Proper flu will take up to three weeks to recover from. A bad cold a week to a week and a half. If you suspect some kind of infection (chest, uti ect) then see your dr if symptoms don't improve after 72 hours.

Oh, and see your dr sooner if you're asthmatic.

What's paracetamol? Is it like Panadol?

Also, what's Lucozade? I dont think we have that here in the States.

I think I have a nasty stomach bug that I either caught last night from eating a burger, or the day before from eating sushi and sashimi.

Yes, Panadol is paracetamol, it should state paracetamol as the sole ingredient (possibly 500mg). It is the safest to take with upset stomachs as it is gentle on the stomach.

Lucozade is like an energy drink that contains rehydrating salts, I think possibly you have Gatorade? That is remarkably similar. It will help rehydrate you to compensate for the loss of fluid you have suffered. The rehydration will help you feel less nauseous.

Take care...

Well, food poisoning GENERALLY occurs 24-72 hours after eating the contaminated food (this is what my doctor told me).

The best thing you can do is drink plenty of clear fluids. Drink gatorade since you'll be so dehydrated after all of that vomiting.

You'll need to try and eat something. Saltine crackers and those Nilla Wafer things are great. Clear broths, you can dissolve a bouillon cube in some water, that will give you a little something. Chicken flavored Ramen Noodles are good (and cheap!!!) for upset stomach.

Drink ginger ale. The ginger helps soothe your stomach.

If you're a tea drinker, try drinking some peppermint herbal tea.

By the way, this is coming from someone (me) who gets the flu VERY often. I have a terrible immune system.

Don't eat anything until your stomach feels better. If you keep throwing food up you'll put your electrolytes out of balance so keep yourself nil by mouth until you're pretty sure you're not going to just chuck it all up again. And start with dry toast or plain biscuits and just nibble on them to "test the waters".

As in a previous thread:

It sounds like you have Norovirus...

What should I do if I have symptoms of Norovirus?

1) Drink plenty of fluids so you don’t become dehydrated.

2) Wash your hands often.

3) Contact your health care provider (but remember that antibiotics don’t treat viruses).