Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Incubation for stomach bug?

I am getting so nervous because I saw my boyfriend Friday night until 10, and then he left and was to have work in the morning, but at 2am he woke up with this terrible stomach bug that is going around. So he started throwing up at 2am Saturday, and I last saw him 10pm Friday and was completely involved with him at.... hmm, 7:30 or 8pm, haha.

Do you think I'd have it by now if I was going to get it from him? I do noooot want this thing; just figured I'd ask if anyone knew how long the incubation is for a nasty stomach virus. Supposedly it's a 24 hour bug, but last night he sounded miserable still.

Martha

The incubation for the norovirus (the nasty stomach bug that's going around) is betwen 48 and 72 hours. So it's definitely possible that you were exposed, and if so , you should be developing symptoms in the next day or so.

I'm sorry.... it's an awful bug! Did you kiss your guy when you saw him? Maybe there is hope that you won't get it if you weren't in his face or very close to him.
    Mama to a beautiful baby girl born 6-25-09. :) AND a beautiful baby boy born 6-14-11. :)

Baby # 2 forever missed lost 6-3-10.

"An angel in the book of life wrote down my baby's birth.
    Then whispered as she closed the book "too beautiful for earth".
    ~author unknown

"Victory is sweetest when you have known defeat"
    ~ Malcolm Forbes

Oh, and depending on the person, once you start showing symptoms it lasts anywhere from 24-96 hours, the median being about 48 hours.
    Mama to a beautiful baby girl born 6-25-09. :) AND a beautiful baby boy born 6-14-11. :)

Baby # 2 forever missed lost 6-3-10.

"An angel in the book of life wrote down my baby's birth.
    Then whispered as she closed the book "too beautiful for earth".
    ~author unknown

"Victory is sweetest when you have known defeat"
    ~ Malcolm Forbes

I don't know if it's me being nervous or what, but I feel off. It might be nerves... for now, because it's not been 48 hours yet until tonight =\

It was the whole shebang Friday night when I saw him. I was a little in his face during the rest of the time, too. He said he's all better today but is tired.
    I can't tell my nerves apart from how I'm really feeling. If I get it, once it happens I'll be fine, but wondering and knowing how a stomach bug feels is like torture!

I had it last month. Mine started 33 hours after exposure. I read on the CDC website that 32-38 hours is the average incubation time. Anyway, it hits fast, so you may not want to make any plans to go anywhere today. It is very contagious, so even only a bit of exposure to your bf could give it to you. I hope you don't have it. I would recommend not eating. The faster your stomach clears out, the faster you will get better.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1.

I had it not this past week, but last week. I got it on Tuesday and it wasn't until Saturday that I felt better. The only think that I could keep down was coffee that had one teaspoon of sugar and some milk. The coffee not only filled me up, it helped clear me of all that yucky stuff(sorry for the grafic description). I really hope you do not get it cuz it sucks having it.
    "Learn the rules completely so you can break them correctly"
    ---Dalai Lama

"Whether we're a preschooler or a young teen, a graduating college senior or a retired person, we human beings all want to know that we're acceptable, that our being alive somehow makes a difference in the lives of others."
    Fred Rogers (The World According to Mister Rogers)

Usually if I am gonna come down with a stomach virus it tends to be between 24- 36 hours after exposure.

It has been just about 48 hours in another hour or two since I last kissed him/saw him. Do you think I'm in the clear?
    I still feel off but I could be nervous-- it is just so unpleasant and I genuinely do not want it at all. No way. Knowing the incubation definitely calmed my nerves especially now.
    I almost made myself sick earlier being so nervous that I just had to post and ask. Sooo unpleasant... I think it's worse to feel sick and not know if you'll puke or not. After that you at least know! haha
    Last edited by xmrth; 02-18-2007 at 08:17 PM.

well, it could take longer, but it is certainly a good sign you are not sick yet! you could have just eaten something that slightly disagreed with you, which is why you don't feel great yet.....
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1.

Just some facts...
    Duration of Illness: Symptoms usually begin 24 to 48 hours after ingestion of the virus, but can appear as early as 12 hours after exposure. There is no evidence that sick persons can become long-term carriers of the virus, but the virus can be in the stool and vomit of infected persons, from the day they start to feel ill to as long as two weeks after they feel better.

Transmission: Noroviruses are found in the stool or vomit of infected people. People can become infected with the virus in several ways, including:
    1) eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated with norovirus by foodhandlers who have not washed their hands adequately
    2) touching surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus, and then placing their hand in their mouth or eating before washing their hands
    3) having direct contact with another person who is infected and showing symptoms (for example, when caring for someone with illness, or sharing foods or eating utensils with someone who is ill)

Symptoms: Common symptoms include:
    nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramps
    Other symptoms may include:
    headache, fever/chills, muscle aches
    Symptoms usually last 1 or 2 days. However, during that brief period, people can feel very ill and vomit, often violently and without warning, many times a day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
According to the findings of a recent study, married women may find themselves drinking a lot more alcohol than single or divorced women, while ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It turns out that, when under stress, men tend to be attracted to women with a more curvaceous body type, found a new research, according to which ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Marriage and divorce are linked to weight gain among both women and men, and especially those who are over age 30, found U.S. sociologists. However, ...