Friend Zone Quote

This is a quote I came accross online today about guys stuck in the dreaded friend zone.

"A woman has a close male friend. This means that he is probably interested in her, which is why he hangs around so much. She sees him strictly as a friend. This always starts out with, you're a great guy, but I don't like you in that way. This is roughly the equivalent for the guy of going to a job interview and the company saying, You have a great resume, you have all the qualifications we are looking for, but we're not going to hire you. We will, however, use your resume as the basis for comparison for all other applicants. But, we're going to hire somebody who is far less qualified and is probably an alcoholic. And if he doesn't work out, we'll hire somebody else, but still not you. In fact, we will never hire you. But we will call you from time to time to complain about the person that we hired."

Discuss:

I find it to be very ammusingly accurate.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't your line of thought their a little treacharous? I may be approaching this from the perspective of a guy here. It seems alot of guys dont' feel its right to try to get romantically involved with a girl until they've earned her trust as a friend. Not saying I believe this methodology, but its definitely out there.

I think that I've read far too many posts by men complaining or showing how jilted they are of being friends and nothing more. They get stuck in a situation they don't like, but don't let the girl go and move on to a more fruitful relationship else where.

To follow your analogy, would you only apply at a job that continued to not hire you and told you they wouldn't ever hire you?

You have a point there.

(though I have miraculously overcome the friendzone before.)

I think a part of the problem here is that guys are very challenge motivated, and when a guy is turned down, he only wants to work harder and overcome that challenge to be accepted. I know there were alot of girls I was only somewhat interested in until it seemed that they lost interest in me, then it totally hooked me and I was completely intrigued with them then.

My theory is this- if you get 'friend zoned' you were never going to date them anyway. The exception to this rule is when one or the other person has a partner when you meet.

I will not say NEVER, but rarely have I heard of a girl being strictly friends with a guy (or vice versa), and I mean, no attraction beyond friendship, and then suddenly (or even over time) decided they wanted to date the guy.

If you're in the friend zone, that's where you've always been. I don't look at my male friends as anything othre than friends. If I did, I would at least attempt to date them.

KileOriginal-

Yeah, I see what you're saying. But I guess for me, personally, I'm not the type of person who waits around for guys to ask me out. If I liked a guy, I would put things into place to try and move the relationship forward (i.e- ask them out). So I guess that eliminates the dilly dallying!

renaissancewoman101, I disagree. Men may have a woman very low on their list of dateable people, but a woman is never completely off the list. Where as woman may suddenly find the only man left alive on the planet is some one she had on her friends only list and that guy will still have a hard time being anything more to her.

It has nothing to do with her still seeing him as a man, he's not emasculated by her not liking him. She's probably annoyed he doesn't get with the program.

Exactly.

Men may have a woman very low on their list of dateable people, but a woman is never completely off the list. Where as woman may suddenly find the only man left alive on the planet is some one she had on her friends only list and that guy will still have a hard time being anything more to her.

This is often true. LOL.

Two problems with your quote:

1) It's comparing a relationship to a job.

2) It's assuming that you have to have certain characteristics or qualifications to become romantically involved with someone. But chemistry isn't logical or mathematical. You can't quantify it and list it on a resume.

The fact is, you can have all the perfect "qualifications" and have absolutely zero chemistry. Deciding who to date is completely different from deciding who to hire.

^ that's very true. A relationship is NOTHING like a job. Chemistry is everything when it comes to a relationship and sometimes, as hard as you try, there is NO chemistry and nothing can be done about it. It's sad and I've been in the position before, but what can you do but move on. It isnt as though if you put more effort into it, try harder, etc. that you can make it work. With a job, if you try harder and put more effort in the job, you can do quite well. That's NOT true with a relationship.

I'm really getting bored with this stupid "nice guys have it so tough" BS. Just because a woman likes you or sees something redeeming in you does not mean she has to develop romantic feelings for you. If you find yourself in the friend zone and you aren't mature enough to handle it, get out. A woman isn't a prize to be won, a challenge to meet, or a quest to take on. She's a real life human being with her own tastes and opinions, some of which may place you as someone she wants in her life as a friend *only*. If you want to throw something valuable like that away because your little ego is hurt and you are sore because she sees something in a guy you can't, please shut up about it. It's nothing but sour grapes.

And why is it that some of these self proclaimed nice guys bleed and whine for unattainable girls, yet won't bother to chase after girls in their own league? Drop the arrogant attitude like you know what's best for the object of your affection better than she does, it stinks.