Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Spotting, barely-there bleeding... this is not a typical period. Am I pregnant?

My cycle is an exact 28 days, and my period was due January 7th. On that day, there was nothing. Later on that night, when I wiped, there was some reddish brown spots and stuff, but no full-out period. The next day, the 8th, the same thing, all day. Reddish brown spotting and the occasional red spot or two. Not even enough to wear a tampon, pad, or even a panty-liner.

Today was the 9th, and the same thing. In fact, for a couple of hours it seemed the 'bleeding' stopped completely. Then we had sex a half hour ago, and afterwards I went to the bathroom and urinated. When I wiped, this time instead of brownish fluid, there was a few streaks of bright red, more than earlier.

Still, this is all very strange because always by day 3, my period is heavy, full out flowing. It barely even seems like a period. I don't even have cramps.

My sister told me today that she has a bad feeling I am pregnant. I told her about my barely-there period and she told me that very same thing happened to her when she was pregnant with her second child.

Advice, please.

Well there are a few things to considder. If you have a regular 28 day cycle, then what days were you having sex? Normally 10 to 14 days after the FIRST day of your last period is you most fertile days.... calculate those.... then are you using contraceptives? If you are on the pill, did you use antibiotics during the last month (sometimes the cancell out the pil)

Did you drastically lose weight, or exercise or stress this month? It could have an effect on your cycle!

Spotting on the day your period is supposed to start can be implantation bleeding, when a new ovum implants into your uterus to become a baby. The best thing for you to do to be sure, is get a home pregancy test!
    About Kids...

Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.

Kids need love the most when they're acting most unlovable.

The reason grandparents and grandchildren get along so well? A common enemy...

Quote Originally Posted by sonjam View Post
    Well there are a few things to considder. If you have a regular 28 day cycle, then what days were you having sex? Normally 10 to 14 days after the FIRST day of your last period is you most fertile days.... calculate those.... then are you using contraceptives? If you are on the pill, did you use antibiotics during the last month (sometimes the cancell out the pil)

Did you drastically lose weight, or exercise or stress this month? It could have an effect on your cycle!

Spotting on the day your period is supposed to start can be implantation bleeding, when a new ovum implants into your uterus to become a baby. The best thing for you to do to be sure, is get a home pregancy test!
    Yes, I was having sex on those days indeed. I have a real handy tool called Mymonthlycycles that caculates it all.

I haven't used any contraceptives at all. We've been having unprotected sex for a few months now. I haven't lost any weight or anything like that. I've heard of implantation bleeding, but heard it only lasted a day or two. This light, barely there spotting is going on day 4 tomorrow.

Well, you are obviously trying to get pregnant, and by the looks of things, you might have been able to do it.... so .... go buy the test, and take it!
    About Kids...

Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.

So ya mean the bleeding is definitely a sign of pregnancy, even if it's starting to turn bright red and it's going on 4 days since it started? If so, I'm quite happy.

But really though, what's happening definitely sounds like implantation bleeding??? Rather than just a very very light unusual period??

No, no - that is not what I'm saying at all! I'm saying It COULD indicate that there MIGHT be a pregnancy - only a blood or urine test will be able to tell you.

Your period might just be late, due to a variety of factors.
    About Kids...

This is what http://www.babyhopes.com has to say

Implantation Bleeding

What does implantation bleeding look like?

Implantation bleeding is vaginal discharge which usually contains a small amount of pinkish or brownish blood. Only about a third of pregnant women experience implantation bleeding.

When does implantation bleeding usually occur?

It can happen at the time the fertilized egg implants in the uterus, on average between 6 to 12 days past ovulation.
    Should I worry about implantation bleeding occurring?

Unless accompanied by cramping, backache or increased bleeding, a small amount of blood being discharged should be considered as implantation bleeding which is nothing to be concerned about.
    If this is implantation bleeding, when can I test to see if I am pregnant?

Home pregnancy tests are based on a very simple principle. They work by through the detection of the hormone Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG) in a woman's urine. This hormone is a hormone secreted by the developing placenta shortly after a fertilized egg has been implanted in the uterine lining.
    If a woman is pregnant, the amount of Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG) in her system should be around 25 mIU at 10 dpo (days past ovulation), 50 mIU at 12 dpo, 100 mIU at around two weeks dpo. Because of their high sensitivity factor ( 20 mIU/ml hCG ) in detecting human hCG, both the AimStick pregnancy tests can confirm pregnancy as early as 6-8 days past ovulation. To help lower the chances of a false negative, the best time to test at 9 or 10 days past ovulation would be advisable.
    About Kids...

Thank you for the information! I muchly appreciate it.

A pregnancy test should tell you as soon as one day after your first missed menstrual period. I would go buy a couple and test. That's the best anybody can offer you.
    Better to trust and be deceived than to live a life in torment never trusting at all, suspecting and being mistaken. -- Anonymous

On Day 4, it stopped completely. It never went into a medium or heavy flow, and what was happening was merely spotting, not even a light flow. And it stopped completely on day 4. I last the full 7 days.

So, I'm worried now. Is it too soon to take a pregnancy test now? I know Dilly said you can take one as soon as your first missed menstrual period, but I've read how a lot of people will test too soon and they don't have enough HCG in their systems yet, and it will turn out negative. My boyfriend said he is buying me a test tomorrow. Is it too soon? Should we wait another week?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Babies who are conceived with the help of some methods of fertility treatment are at more risk of birth defects than babies who are born to parents ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Women, who suffer from excess weight or have Type 2 or gestational diabetes during pregnancy, are at an increased risk of having a child with ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Pregnancy may decrease a woman's risk of developing the debilitating illness multiple sclerosis, Australian researchers have found. It has already ...