sinus infection or something more serious?

bulls03

Hi,

Well I have been stressing for around 2 weeks about an odd tender spot that was painful to touch on the top of my head, which was accompanied by odd headaches and an earache. Well I went to the Dr. and she told me I had a bad sinus infection. She checked me for other more serious things like a tumor (by checking my pupils, eye movements, facial movements, etc.) but said it was a bad sinus infection. She said even though I do not have a stuffy nose I can still have a sinus infection. I was just wondering does this make sense to anyone that without a stuffy nose, or pain on my forehead and cheeks it is still an obvious sinus infection? Also, has anyone ever gotten a pain on the top of their head from a sinus infection i find this hard to believe. please tell me you opinions.

Yes, i have a recurring sinus infection and it can manifest itself without a stuffy nose and cause pain elsewhere. There are cavities in the cheek associated with the sinuses and the ears and throat can also be affected.

Did she prescribe an antibiotic?

Yes she prescribed me allegra. But still isn't the very top of my head an odd place to be affected by this. My cheeks and brows are not sore at all.

Allegra is not an antibiotic, it's an allergy medication. She would give you that if your sinusitis was caused by allergies, but it does not treat infection.

Are you certain she said you had an infection?

You have sinuses that go up into your head so it is possible that if you have a sinus infection, you would have pain in your head, but allegra is not a drug that will treat infection, and is typically used to treat inflammed sinuses related to allergy problems.

Why don't you give your doctor a call tomorrow just to clear things up and find out why she prescribed that if she thinks it is an infection?

I get nasty sinus infections every now and again. Allegra D alone is what my Dr prescribes and it goes away. I usually get the one that causes the tear ducts to plug up, migraines etc. and it's very painful.

link removed

under "symptoms";

"Infection in the sphenoid sinuses can cause earaches, neck pain, and deep aching at the top of your head, although these sinuses are less frequently affected."

well i called my dr. and she said the allegra was for the symptoms and that it should take care of them regardless of an allergy or not as it is an antihistamine. She said my sore head is a result of the sinus. But the i just find it so weird that the top of my head feels like a deep painful bruise when touched and this is the result of a sinus? She seems to think so, but is it just me or is this weird?

She said my sore head is a result of the sinus. But the i just find it so weird that the top of my head feels like a deep painful bruise when touched and this is the result of a sinus? She seems to think so, but is it just me or is this weird?

link removed

under "symptoms";

"Infection in the sphenoid sinuses can cause earaches, neck pain, and deep aching at the top of your head, although these sinuses are less frequently affected."

I understand where you are coming from. I have had a head pain since the day after Thanksgiving. It was on the top of my head for 2 wks. Now it is on the lower right back side of my head like a sore muscle. I have no insurance, so I can't just run to the DR. I work for a dentist and the girls & I took a few x-rays to see if we did see something, I know alot of times it takes a MRI, but I figured i'd see if anything jump out at us. I did go to one urgent care Dr. & he looked at my pupils deep in and said just take motrin. I NEVER get migraines. I also have "creepy crawleys, little sensations, cold rushes through out the top of my head. Do you or anyone ever get these?? Hope you get better. I will be praying for you as GOD is my HEALER!!!

• 2 years later...

Dear Bulls03 and everyone else,

I have been suffering from VERY similar symptoms.

For about a month now I have had pain on the very top of my head, doesn't feel like bruising, but more of a pressure.

I went to the doctor over and over again with all kinds of tests and no answers...she finally proscribed me with Allegra (fexofenadine), as well as flonase.

This seemed to give be relief for about a week, though the symptoms have come back.

Let me know if there are any knew developments,

Giraffe!

Archived