Can childhood sexual abuse cause mental illness later?

New_Horizons

Ok ... this thread caught my attention because you referred to childhood sexual abuse - something which I know about, but mental illness is something that I don't know a lot about so anyone reading this who knows better please correct me if I'm wrong in what I say ...

As far as I understand, bipolar disorder is a brain disorder so I've always had the impression that it is something that is either within you or isn't.

But ... I believe that childhood sexual abuse can cause a person to display behaviour, signs and symptoms that are very similar to someone having bipolar disorder but the difference would be that it was caused by an experience, not a brain disorder and could thereforeeee be alleviated with the correct therapy.

Obviously it is also posssible that someone who was sexually abused as a child could also have bipolar disorder as well, but I would doubt that it is possible for the abuse to be the cause, the trigger yes, but not the cause.

I don't know if this is any help, as I said, I'm no expert, but it's how I understand it. Would be interested to hear others responses.

LR

I think these are questions that even science has no absolute answers to. In many articles I have read that people who have been traumatized (by abuse in some form or another) have a increased risk of developing bipolar disorder and multiple personality disorder. That does not imply that all people who have this disorder have a past of abuse, of course. My friend is bipolar without genetic or traumatic background though. I have a tendency for major (unipolar) depressions and I have a history in my family of people with the same disposition.

I think your last question is even more difficult, one would have to find evidence that trauma causes changes in the GENES (in addition to hormonal inbalances that co-occur with these mental illnesses). Only then can it be inherited. That would require longitudinal research on families, maybe a place to look for studies are psychological research centers of universities.

Ilse

I guess your questions relate to the "nature vs nurture" argument. Of all elements of the argument, one thing aspect is fairly well agreed. That is that some sort of situational trauma (ie "nurture") will not in itself cause a genetic predisposition in subsequent generations. Thats all to do with DNA etc... etc...

They are two very different topics, one dealing with what effect traumatic situations have on someones emotional wellbeing later in life, the other being what effect gene's have on your propensity for emotional wellbeing to be effected. They only relate in that they can combine... ie... someone is genetically predisposed to bipolar being "triggered" by a traumatic incident in childhood.

I believe the statistic is as high as 1 in 5 people will experience mental illness at some stage during their life, typically a depressive episode. This figure is commonly used in advertising for mental ilness research here in New Zealand, although I have no idea what basis it is made on. Regardless, many people who have traumatic evens go on to lead normal and happy lives, and sometimes people with no particulary traumatic events end up off the rails

I'm curious as to why you'd ask.

Characteristic Sequelae of Childhood Sexual Abuse (Brier, 1989)

1. Intrusive memories or flashbacks to and nightmares of the abuse

2. Abuse-related dissociation, derealization, depersonalization, out-of-body experiences, and cognitive disengagement or "spacing out."

3. General post-traumatic stress symptoms, such as sleep problems, concentration problems, impaired memory, and restimulation of early abuse memories and emotions by immediate events and interactions.

4. Guilt, shame, negative self-evaluation, and self-invalidation related to the abuse.

5. Helplessness and hopelessness.

6. Distrust of others

7. Anxiety attacks, phobias, hypervigilance, and somatization (conversion of emotions into physical complaints).

8. Sexual problems.

9. Long-standing depression.

10. Disturbed interpersonal relatedness, including idealization and disappointment, overdramatic behavioural style, complusive sexuality, adversariality, and manipulation.

11. "Acting out" and "acting in" including parasuicidal acts (i.e. cutting) and substance abuse.

12. Withdrawal.

13. Other-directedness.

14. Chronic perceptions of danger.

15. Self-hatred.

16. Negative specialness -- that is, an almost magical sense of power.

17. Impaired reality testing.

18. A heightened ability to avoid, deny and repress.

The reason I asked is because I guess I had a slight problem with the term 'mentally ill' ... my issue, not yours ...

Now that you've posted your reply then I must say that I agree with your original statement, although before I was unsure about it.

I don't think I had a real understanding of what the term 'mentally ill' meant and certainly wouldn't have imagined all of those things on the list being included in a definition.

I suppose I have always thought of many of those problems as effects of the abuse, issues resulting from the abuse but not signs of mental illness.

Thank you for your response, it helped me to understand what you meant.

Of course; I understand. The stigma attached to the concept of mental illness arises from the general misunderstanding that someone cannot or will not recover from it -- even schizophrenics usually see improvement over time -- and that there is a clear-cut divide between the ill and the healthy, with the ill being almost "cursed by the gods," their dysfunction a mysterious thing that just appears, rather than the logical outcome of growing up or coping with overwhelming destructive events in their lives. Most mentally ill people also have a variable degree of function; some are more than competent in most environments, and only become unable to cope in specific situations, while others, who are more damaged, find it difficult to cope in most environments. But all have moments of near-normal function.

Many people have a terror of the mentally ill. They do not understand, but for some fortunate circumstances, that could have been them. There is a limit to human strength. No one is surprised that if someone is beaten with a baseball bat, they have broken bones; they understand that. The injuries from abuse, although hidden, are injuries nonetheless. The sequelae of torture, of abuse, of rape, are the same no matter who experiences it, what culture they come from, or what language they speak.

Although it may not be possible for everyone to be involved in helping the mentally ill, everyone can be involved in the prevention of such injuries. We can be a more compassionate, responsible society. We can try to create an environment that defends the helpless and comforts the injured. We do not need to take part in condemnation or prejudice that further isolates and stigmatizes people who are struggling to regain their full humanity, which is their birthright.

I think your last question is even more difficult, one would have to find evidence that trauma causes changes in the GENES (in addition to hormonal inbalances that co-occur with these mental illnesses). Only then can it be inherited. That would require longitudinal research on families, maybe a place to look for studies are psychological research centers of universities.

Nothing that happens in life has the possibility of changing someone's genes, so the only way that children of a bipolar person could have an increased risk of developing bipolar is if the mental illness in the parent causes them to treat the children so badly or obscurely that they themselves develop mental illnesses as a result, though I think this is very unlikely.

There is a limit to human strength. No one is surprised that if someone is beaten with a baseball bat, they have broken bones; they understand that. The injuries from abuse, although hidden, are injuries nonetheless. The sequelae of torture, of abuse, of rape, are the same no matter who experiences it, what culture they come from, or what language they speak.

That is so true, so true.

"The abuse survivors primary need is for safety." I repeat this to myself frequently, because people who've been abused have "boundary issues." It's not really just a matter of finding the right therapy. Recovery from abuse means changing your life. And if you're currently in an abusive situation still, hang on, because it's quite a ride.

Abuse victims need to learn to protect themselves, and it's very difficult for them, because they so desperately want to be helped, they very often end up turning to people who take advantage of them again. They don't understand that their safety has to come from themselves.

So, the first thing that abuse victims have to do is establish that they have to rely on themselves. They have to scrupulously avoid any person or situation that hurts them, or makes them feel unsafe. Got a friend who likes to "tease" you, or who bullies or yells at you? Lose them. Know people who are "nice" to you, "tolerate" you, "overlook" your "many faults" because they're so wonderful? Get rid of them. You need to start at ground zero to recover your self-respect, and that means getting anything toxic out of your life. People who mistreat you or who are contemptuous of you are gone, now. No exceptions.

After you look after your emotional health, you have to look after your physical health. Make sure you have enough to eat, a place to live, a job to pay for your food and shelter, and warm clothes. You need to get enough sleep, and you need to eat three times a day.

Once these goals are reached, you can begin therapy. Therapy that is undertaken while you are in an abusive and unsafe environment will not work. First get safe, then get therapy. Although some are more efficacious than others, in fact any therapy will show good results over time, if the therapist is skilled enough. I personally recommend DBT for abuse victims, because of it's realistic assessment of personal responsibility. I strongly advise against therapy that involves being yelled at, confronted, or punished (yes, there are such therapies).

If you have any destructive habits, like drinking too much, drug addiction, cutting, you must begin to stop them. Be aware that there are psychological issues involved in ending any addiction that are transitory in nature.

You should keep a journal, and write down the events of the day and your feelings about them. If you have flashbacks, you should record them, and the feelings you have about them, if any (initially flashbacks frequently come without any emotional reaction). You should find a hobby that you enjoy -- music, art, reading, carpentry, sewing -- and enjoy it as often as possible. Make sure you get outside frequently, and go for walks in your area.

In a very short time, if you live like a normal person, your life will begin to change. You will get in touch with emotions you haven't felt safe feeling for years. You will understand who you are and what you want. You will have something to give other people, emotionally and spiritually. Whoever may have told you or made it seem that you didn't deserve the same chance at happiness, the same respect that everyone else gets, they were wrong. No matter how far down you may feel you are, you are a valuable person. There will be times when the work will seem more difficult than just letting the pain continue, but don't give up. Every step is worthwhile. The next year could be the one in which your happiness finally begins.

If there is anyone reading this who has suffered from abuse and is wanting to break free and know love and happiness then I really recommend that they read Juliana's message and take steps to try and put into practise the things that she says - her words are very wise and contain a lot of really helpful practical suggestions which I assure you will help.

You will get in touch with emotions you haven't felt safe feeling for years. You will understand who you are and what you want. You will have something to give other people, emotionally and spiritually. No matter how far down you may feel you are, you are a valuable person. There will be times when the work will seem more difficult than just letting the pain continue, but don't give up. Every step is worthwhile. The next year could be the one in which your happiness finally begins.

Some people might be reading this thinking that these words describe a place which seems impossible for you to get to but nothing is impossible. Surround yourself with good people who love you, seek people who are able to help you and I hope that this freedom to be yourself will be yours in 2007.

LR

• 7 months later...

This is a scary list, I was never sexually abused as a kid but was terribly physically abused, I read this list & just started putting ticks in boxes, I got given this site by a friend just today & this topic just stood out as I've had what seems to be bipolar disorder, or something like it, for years.

The practical help & suggestions given are very helpful, most of which I have actually already embarked upon, I must have a guardian angel cus nobody helped me get to where I am now it just "came to me" what I should be doing to get well.

As to the original thread, I think "you are what you know" applies more than most other influences, I read about an interesting case where an extremely troubled, mentally ill person was "experimented" on by the fbi back in the 50's, & had their entire memory wiped, while that in itself is a topic for debate, the interesting thing is that without any memories of the trauma, they were "healed" of their mental illness & went on to lead a healthy & productive normal life, albeit with the nagging sense that some of their "self" had been robbed.

Maybe Bipolar & associated conditions are genetically pre-disposed to but I think nurture plays a far far bigger role in mental health, though a cycle that passes from parent to child via long term abuse, can no doubt come to cause genes to alter, its a form of stress, & stress is most definitely a factor in genetic evolution, though maybe not always as a weakness, often the stress creates a far more resiliant gene.

Does the person already need to have a genetic predisposition towards developing bipolar or no? In other words, can abuse cause mental illness in people with no family history of it?

Furthermore, would this person's children inherit a greater chance of developing bipolar?

Firstly... yes, a child that was sexually abused can develop a mental illness...

I was sexually abused... and I feel that it's a major reason why I've got the problems that I've got. Some might be slightly more predisposed to developing a mental illness as a result than others...

Geneticallly though... no. You're children won't be effected genetically by you (or whoever you're talking about) being abused as a child. If you were abused... then you might pass on some problems to your children... but that would be nurture, not nature.

• 2 years later...

i was abused sexually frm a young age so young i cnt remember what age it started by my grandad. it stopped at 14 when he rotted in hell. and it crept upon me at age 19-20 im nearly 22 now and still dont want to be here. for full story plz read the word grandad makes me sick

I don't believe abuse causes mental illness, however, it can vastly accentuate an existing chemical imbalance. However, I do believe that syndroms such as PTSD and other responsive anxieties are illnesses, whether people brand them as such or not.

I was abused as a child, and have also dealt with depression and severe mood swings throughout my life. I know that when things pertaining to my abuse would come up, or something else bad would happen like a mentor dying, I would completely go off the deep end. It was like the combination between my emotions and the existing illness would set me off.

Either way, I don't believe that the reasons for depression or any other form of mental unrest are what's important, it is the treatment. Medication can sometimes be a scary route to take, but talk therapy can do wonders to heal. First and foremost, focusing on you and giving yourself the credit you deserve for surviving something so horrific is what's most important. Learning to love and respect yourself can be the most healing thing in the world.

• 1 month later...

Archived