I fell and hurt my tail bone - have a question

Jennster

I slid on my stairs yesterday because I was wearing socks and going too fast down them. Anyway I landed straight on my butt and then slid all the way down the stairs. I had to go to a big 3 hour meeting at work a half hour after I fell so I had to sit for a long time. The pain has subsided a bit overnight but I fell it every time I move. I'm most worried about every time I get up from sitting - it's excruiating pain, especially when I get out of my car, it's a very low to the ground car. Also, every time I cough or sneeze I experience pain every worse than when getting up. While walking or just sitting straight up I don't really feel any pain, I just know it's still there.

I'm trying to determine whether I should visit my doctor over this. I did take IBuprofen right after I fell as well as again before bed. I know there's really not much treatment to be done as it is so is it worth visiting the doc. Someone at work says I may have cracked my tailbone...I'm just not sure.

Anyone have any advice? I'm trying to determine this because I am very short on time...I go to school everyday as well as work full time so I don't have a lot of time to visit a doctor.

Hey There,

I'm most worried about every time I get up from sitting - it's excruiating pain, especially when I get out of my car, it's a very low to the ground car. Also, every time I cough or sneeze I experience pain every worse than when getting up. While walking or just sitting straight up I don't really feel any pain, I just know it's still there.

It sounds as though you may have herniated a disk.... or possibly fractured your coccyx. You should definitely get an appt with your doctor to be seen.

Keep us updated!

I fell a couple times a few years ago. Landed on my rear and hard. At first, when standing or trying to sit down, I had excruciating pain! Went to the hospital. They prescribed a pain killer and also a muscle relaxer. A pulled / bruised muscle is what I had. I've also heard of people having a pinched nerve.

The pain was terrible and barely tolerable. Is the ibuprofen working? Will you have time to relax and let your body heal? I can tell you, without medicine, I don't think I would have healed nearly as quickly.

It may not be something serious like a disc but still a good idea to have it looked at or if you can lay around ALL weekend and see if you feel better.

Definitely get it checked out. They'll probably take an X-ray, give you a doughnut pillow, and prescribe pain meds, and maybe something to prevent infection. Sometimes if you fall on your tailbone the impact was hard enough, it can cause a cyst to form at the bottom (happened to my father- he neglected to seek medical help and then he ended up having to get a cyst drained as a result- not fun)

Most certainly get checked, just to be on the safe side.

BellaDonna

A fall on the coccyx bone (tail bone) can REALLY hurt. The pain can last a long time.

I fell off of a horse back landing straight on my coccyx bone, back in 1992. The impact was so hard that I got a concussion (falling on your tailbone, not just hitting your head) can jostle the brain and cause a concussion. I did not break or fracture anything BUT the pain lasted for 3-4 months.

Definitely get it checked out. Ibuprofen is good as it's an anti-inflammatory...so it will help with muscular inflammation. A muscle relaxer like Flexeril or Skelaxin might be in order, too....but you need prescriptions for those...so see your doctor.

My tailbone is twisted from falling off a horse. The docs took x-rays and gave me drugs, that's all they can do. I still have trouble with sitting straight and sitting long periods of time. My friend broke hers skiing and has slipped disks now, she sees a chyropractor (sp??). Like me sitting was painful for her, we were both TA's with hours of grading so we'd need breaks to get up and walk to relieve the pain.

Yes, definitely get it checked out as the very knowledgable people on this forum have recommended.

At the very least you can get a prescription, referral, etc.

Try to take it easy until you can see your doctor, no lifting heavy objects/weights, try to sleep in a position that doesn't inflict pain in the area, and I hope you feel better very soon.

Edit to Add: CB brought up a great point, a chiropractor or an accupuncturist may be very useful, but check with your M.D./D.O. first to see if they recommend seeing one based on your condition.

Hugs, Rose

And here I thought I was going to be the "expert" on the topic, but apparently this is a common injury!

I, too, had a fail on my behind. I went to the ER had x-rays done and they found nothing (although the doctor said I may have "dented" my coccyx aka tailbone, but there was no way to tell.) They did very little for me other than telling me to take pain killers and attempt to sit comfortably (and that was hard.) Being that the pain hasn't disappeared, I really think you should seek a physicians advise. Make sure it's nothing serious. Sorry to hear it!

hey jennster, i had the same exact problem..

everytime i got up it was sooo soo painful..to the point where i went to see a doctor.

after getting a cat scan, he told me i brused the coccox bone and recommended that i try to use upper body strength when getting up to limit the pain. he gave me a prescription for it as well, but that didnt help much.

the pain lasted a few months and now its completely healed. i recommended seeing a doctor cause you never can be too sure.

Hey all - after being in pain on the train all the way to school today I called and made an emergency appointment to see my doc. So I went today and he felt around...he definitely thinks my coccyx is either broken or severly bruised - but as most of you already know, there's not much that can be done other than let time heal. We didn't do an xray cause really there was no point...the treatment is the same whether its bruised or broken. So I got some naproxen for the inflammation - I declined the Loritab just because I'm not in much pain while standing or sitting comfortably (leaning a bit forward) - the only pain is when I get up and go up stairs or get out of the car. So I bought one of those donut seats as well as some big ice packs to keep on the area.

Thanks again all for the good advice. It's amazing how much you take granted - something as simple as the coccyx can cause so much pain when it's injured...every movement you make irritates it.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a miraculous procedure done and even though I was deeply affected by it all, I was curious I quickly logged on to see if the treatment is common and whether I could find more info on it. I found this forum to see so many of you going through similar torture I had, & I feel I just have to share my experience with you.

Not sure if traditional chinese medicine (TCM) is common where u come from, but many felt that the practices are under researched and not scientifically proven. However, its gaining huge popularity where I'm at (Singapore), and these days, the government recognises its healing benefits and has given recognition to several TCM practioners. (Of course there would be opportunistic fly-by-night sort of self-aclaimed TCM physicians, but key is to research and find one through tried-&-tested or more credible means like word of mouth or medical certifications.) I'm sure perhaps you guys have read that Singapore is the medical hub of Asia.

Anyway I had similar experience of slipping and landing on butt, it happened a week ago. I did an x-ray at the hospital but was told that it will heal by itself. However, I could not turn in bed, my tailbone hurts when I cough or sneeze, I couldn't bend, squat or sit properly. I was in deep pain and frustrated. So I went to a TCM physician, thinking I could do with some chinese massage and maybe some herbal plasters to relieve my pain.

However, the physician suggested "fixing the tailbone" after pressing around my butt crack to detect the source of pain, and within few mins, she diagnosed that my tailbone was dislocated and pressing on nerves, hence the perpetual pain due to the impact. No x-rays, no scans, nothing! The only catch and most horrifying part was she told me she had to reach through my rectum to "push" the tailbone in place. I was utterly shocked. It sounded soooo freaky and obscene. Many thoughts were running through my mind - what if I became paralysed, what if I bled, what if she broke my tailbone, etc. I wanted to back out. I flooded the doc with many questions, and she told me I have to be mentally prepared. Several moments later, I decided to go for it, since if people could wait 7hrs to see the doctor, she must be something. I was assured by the nurses and therapists that I'll be ok, kicking and running immediately after the procedure. I decided that what is another minute of pain compared to the torture for the past week?

Anyway the doc put on latex glove, rub some lubricating ointment and then reeeeached for my tailbone with me in the most compromising position. It was painful as hell, but within 5 secs, she told me as a matter of fact, "done!" and amazingly, I could get into a sitting position w/o any pain and i moved down easily from the examination bed that very moment. I felt so light and I walked with a spring in my feet. It was miraculous.

I was advised that dislocated tailbone is very common when one falls and lands on butt. However, it'd be tricky if its fractured or cracked. The chinese physician asked if the hospital doc saw from the scan that my tailbone was dislocated. When i said no, she mentioned "so they tell u the scan was ok, and gave u painkillers & relaxant?" oh mann! these was exactly what the hospital doc prescribed. like a one-size fits all solution. If I hadn't done the treatment, I would have to get used to the pain as it will never get back in place by itself. Anyway, I hope the above encounter hasn't put you off, but I just wish to share a personal experience. I'm so relieved this pain is over and glad I do not have to change certain holiday plans due to this horrible fall.

In a nutshell, no harm seeing a chinese physician for a 2nd opinion, no? Hope TCM is as accessible in your country. and I wish all a speedy recovery.

Hi, Jennster...expect it to be about a month for the discomfort to completely subside. The same thing happened to me last year when I fell down snowboarding. I was very concerned that the pain lingered as long as it did...several weeks. But, I did heal and it went away.

• 1 year later...

Hi Chong, Can you please let me know the contact details of the TCM you went to in singapore? I'm from singapore and I've been living through some rough times with the tail bone irritations.

I also desperately looked out for many TCM's after reading your post but couldn't find any who have had the history curing tailbone or related injuries! One of them suggested Accupuncture and convinced me to have a session which hasn't help any great deal.

Your help would go a long way in my search for the cure.

Sumi

• 1 month later...
I broke my tail bone about 6 years back. I didn't go to the doc. It still hurts now, if I sit too long in the wrong chair. My grrrlfriend broke hers three years ago, and has the same problem, despite going to the doc.

me too i injured my tailbone 3-4 years ago. The pain went away after several months but lately has been returning and since yesterday it has been horrible despite pain medicine I still can not bend down or sleep soundly becuase of it.

• 1 year later...

I broke my tailbone once. I slid down some ice on a hill and hit a wood fence butt first. It was cold so I didnt feel it at first but an hour later it hurt like hell. I went to the emergency room to get an x ray and it was broken but not major. It took a few weeks to heal. During that time I had to walk sort of leaning back from the waist up. If I slouched over it hurt bad.

• 2 months later...

i too fell yesterday on my bum on a hard wood floor.what happen my parrot got out to greet me but instead of greeting she wanted to go after my feet so i sped up my walk and i guess my foot went up (happened all to fast) and bam flat on my tailbone n back. since then, i cant bend too much,and my body is feeling abit different

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi my friend also had a very bad fall on her tailbone and is still in hospital suffering from extreme pain. X-rays and MRI and CT Scan shows no fractures. However, the pain is intense.

As we are in Singapore, can you please tell me the name of the TCM doctor that helped you? I would like to take my friend there once she is discharged from hospital. Thanks!!

Archived