Come down with the flu real bad... any suggestions?

Hi all,

Overnight I have come down with the flu real bad. I got minimal sleep, my throat is so sore it feels like sandpaper and my nose is so blocked I don't think even a jackhammer could do anything.

I will try and rest as much as I can today, and also going down to the pharmacy to get some drugs.

Does anyone else have any home remedies on how to beat the blues

PR

Not much you can do in terms of medication to "get rid of" the flu. Echinacea may help, as well as taking vitamin C to your saturation point. Cold FX does seem to help the flu or cold run it's course a bit quicker, but since you're in the worst part of the sickness right now, it won't take that away.

As for home remedies, all you can do is up your bodies defense against the sickness (vitamin c) and soothe symptoms with tea, lemon, ginger, honey and drink TONS of fluids, room temp juice (nothing too cold), flat gingerale, tea, water, etc etc.

And get to bed!!!

Hope you feel mucho better soon.

Like everyone said, liquids, liquids, liquids...But it's important to have some food, too, even though you may not be hungry. When you're sick, you really do need strength (read: nutrition). Chicken ramen noodles work magic for me, they are easy to make and easy to eat, virtually no chewing required (just go easy on the flavoring).

for the throat: Vicks chloraseptic whenever it starts burning. The ingredients in that stuff will num the throat and make it feel better.

When you go to sleep take 2 advil. It will also help if you have a headache or fever.

For cough and extra snot take some cough syrup and/or plenty of cough drops

Also get this product called "airbourne" You throw the tablet in some water and it fizzes sort of like an alkaseltzer. You drink that stuff 3 times a day and it will reduce the symptoms and duration of your sickness.

Lastly, make sure you eat enough, drink a lot of water (not soda, not beer), and take a multivitamin. This will also help.

doyathink, that reminds me...

A very simple and effective way to clear your nasal passages is to just boil some water, put a towel over your head, lean in as close as you can without it being uncomfortably hot, and inhale the steam for a while. My mom would make me do it all the time when I was little...

doyathink, that reminds me...

A very simple and effective way to clear your nasal passages is to just boil some water, put a towel over your head, lean in as close as you can without it being uncomfortably hot, and inhale the steam for a while. My mom would make me do it all the time when I was little...

yep yep yep! You need it loosen congestion and phlegm. Without moisture it will take ages to go away. I would do as you suggested if you don't have a vaporizer. Or you can run a steamy shower for awhile and sit in the restroom.

In no time you will be

Thank you everyone for your replies, I am feeling much better now...

I did the boiling water with the towel thing, but it got a little too hot after a while althought it did clear my sinuses for a few hours.

Codrel Original is what I went with from the pharmacist, day and night. Day tablets are non drowsy and night obviously make you a little drowsy to help you sleep better. After taking two of the day tablets my sore throat had almost completely disapeared and what nose had somewhat cleaned up even though it is still a little runny.

I have also been taking in lots and lots of water, nothing but water actually... except one can of coke when I was feeling a bit better. The honey and lemon sounds good I will try that before I go to bed early tonight.

Once again thank you everyone for you replies, much appreciated!

PR