Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I have a hard time focusing & reading with understanding?

Ok this is really a problem & this has been happening to me ever since High school.I didn't really do well in high school because of this & I think I need to face these issues now, especially since I'm going to college pretty soon. I'm currently taking drivers ed, I know I am super late as I am 19 years old. I'm like the oldest guy in my class LOL. Anyway when it comes down to focusing & reading, I just lose it seriously. I mean I have a hard time staying on track & it takes alot for me to obtain information with understanding. I can easily get confused with tasks & I often find myself lost while everyone else seems to catch on quickly & move on with their assignments.

For example today, we had to read a whole chapter in our books. Shortly we had to write down questions & answer it on a sheet of paper. I read the chapter but it was like I couldn't remember anything I read. So I had to scan through the book while everyone else was moving on rather quickly & proceeding to their next assignment. I eventually got frustrated & I had to stop one assignment & move to the next just to catch up with everyone.It's like I read but I often find myself not taking in the information & I have to keep reading over & over again until I can grasp it. But it shouldn't be like that though?Then when I try to learn new things, sometimes it takes so long for me to understand it! I feel sorta like I'm slow or something.

Another thing is focusing & paying attention. A teacher can talk or a video may be playing but I'm not listening. It's unintentional but I always do this.I find myself daydreaming or just off in another world. If I find the topic very boring, this will happen alot. This is what got me in trouble alot in high school. I get extremely sleepy, even if I had a decent night sleep. I find it so hard to just stay alert & listen to my teacher talk. Sadly I fell asleep today during a video & we had to answer questions. Again I was lost & I had to end up getting help from a peer.

I really lost confidence in high school & I let my grades fall ever since 9th grade. It's happening to me again now in drivers ed. I was always the kid that was left behind while everyone moved on. This was another thing I hated about school. I got help from teachers & I went to tutorial but even they got frustrated with me lol. Especially with math which I hate! Since I had so much trouble, I eventually stopped doing my homework because I got frustrated & I barely passed my classes every year in high school. I had such a sorry gpa to show for it! My parents got mad at me & claimed that I wasn't trying hard enough but I really am trying but I find it so hard.

It's frustrating for me honestly, I never really was a school type guy. Now if a topic interests me, I might actually focus & stay in tune but if it doesn't this is where I seriously get lost! I understand that I'm not going to like everything & I have to read & do things I may not like. Focusing & learning quickly are the main problems that I will have. I really feel that if I go to college, I'm going to fail because of what happened in high school. If I couldn't grasp high school, I don't know about college since I know it will be harder!
    New World Order... Not sure if it's true but interesting to look at anyway....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PpMdTmVMpo

Bronze Member
    Have you ever considered dyslexia?

Platinum Member
    Have you ever considered dyslexia?
    I don't think he would be able to write like this if he was dyslexic. Some of the symptoms do sound like dyslexia though.
    Last edited by melrich; 08-03-2006 at 12:03 AM.

4. 08-03-2006, 12:09 AM
    Reason
    obsolete

I've been doing exactly the same as you since I was at school. It was a waste of time revising for exams because the information wouldn't stick. Plus I had too much information to deal with.

Years later when I left school and decided to go to part time college I discovered that if I concentrated on one subject I wanted to learn then it was easier. However, I still struggled at times.

I've never mentioned it to the doctor maybe I should?

Sometimes I can read important letters 6 times and I still don't understand what it's about. I end up taking the letter to a friend and getting her to interpret it.

These days I have to read with a bookmark because I go from one line to the other and then realise it doesn't make sense.

I suggest you mention it to your doctor.

I hope you get help soon.

Good luck

Hi kidd,

Found more sites and deleted my first post.

As you focus when you are interested, it could be a mild case of ADHD.

The symptoms of ADHD include inattention, impulsiveness and hyperactivity that are inappropriate for a person's age level.
    Children who have ADHD often:
    • Are easily distracted by sights and sounds in their environment.
    • Are unable to concentrate for long periods of time on low stimulation tasks (homework vs. video games).
    • Are restless and impulsive.
    • Have a tendency to daydream.
    • Are slow to complete tasks.

Adults who have ADHD often:
    • Miss work deadlines.
    • Miss appointments.
    • Appear hectic and disorganized.
    • Have significant problems prioritizing.

1. http://www.webmd.com/content/article/89/100391.htm
    2. http://www.newideas.net/
    3. www.add.org.
    Last edited by nottoogreen; 08-03-2006 at 03:32 AM.

This sounds somewhat like attention deficit disorder.

I don't think he's dyslexic because KIDD writes extremely well...

My best friend has ADHD and he has the attention span and concentration capability of a rabid tick. However, when he takes his medication he's a straight a student...

You may need a professional diagnosis, but I think that MIGHT be it.
    "Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
    In the forests of the night,
    What immortal hand or eye
    Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?"

William Blake

Oh boy, I don't really know about being diagnosed with something. I guess I will set an appointment & look into it. The problem is getting to a doctor without my mother knowing. She'll probably talk me out of it saying that I'm looking for excuses to condone my actions.

It seems like I match some of the symptons but I'm really scared about taking medicine & all of that stuff though.Will I have to see a therapist or someone?

Hi Kidd,

Myself has mild ADHD since childhood, I realized this a few years ago when reading about it on the web. All I do is discipline myself. I never took med's.

It's not a big deal. Why not talk to mom, hiding it is honestly not good for your wellbeing because it makes you feel bad about yourself.

The doctor will evaluate you and come up with ideas on how to treat you.

You can also research self-help and please share with us here if you find anything.

BTW, do you have (had) stress at home? - I had abusive parents who fought with each other a lot too.

If you have questions or problems just ask.
    Last edited by nottoogreen; 08-03-2006 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nottoogreen View Post
    Hi Kidd,

Myself has mild ADHD since childhood, I realized this a few years ago when reading about it on the web. All I do is discipline myself. I never took med's.

It's not a big deal. Why not talk to mom, hiding it is honestly not good for your wellbeing because it makes you feel bad about yourself.

The doctor will evaluate you and come up with ideas on how to treat you.

You can also research self-help and please share with us here if you find anything.

BTW, do you have (had) stress at home? - I had abusive parents who fought with each other a lot too.

If you have questions or problems just ask.

Ugh, sorry I took so long. Life for me is pretty hectic & right now. My mind is spinning seriously with everything that I have to do.Anyway I'm wondering what I can do myself to focus better? Am I not trying harder enough? I want to see a doctor seriously & look more into this.. I feel that there's something definately not right with me. I talked with my mother about it & as I expected, she said that there's nothing wrong with me. She said that I'm lazy & I don't apply myself enough. I really think I do apply myself but I just don't catch on to certain things easily.

KIDD,

I dont think parents are always so open to admitting their child has a problem. If you feel you are applying yourself, and your still not retaining, of focusing on the task at hand, then maybe it is time to see a doctor. If you have benefits through your job, or can obtain benefits look into that first and take it from there. Best of luck.
    Forgive us our tresspasses, as we forgive those who tresspass against us. - The Lord's Prayer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
According to the findings of a recent study, married women may find themselves drinking a lot more alcohol than single or divorced women, while ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It turns out that, when under stress, men tend to be attracted to women with a more curvaceous body type, found a new research, according to which ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Marriage and divorce are linked to weight gain among both women and men, and especially those who are over age 30, found U.S. sociologists. However, ...