Straightening upper back/lower neck

I have a slightly arched upper back/lower neck, but I'm no hunchback either. It's not an insecurity of mine, but it's hard to find clothes that look good on me.

Is there anything I can do that can gradually make that part of my body more erect? I'm afraid if I don't pay attention to it, years from now I may be slightly hunched, which I'd prefer not to be. I figured since I'm young, I can try and do something about it.

Any suggestions?

Contrary to popular belief, having a "hunchback" isn't due to poor posture, it's actually a result of osteoperosis. So.. Keep up with your calcium intake!

What you're describing sounds like scoliosis. I have it too only my back curves slightly to the left. If it's mild usually no treatment is required but I believe that in more severe cases a brace can be worn and I also believe surgery is sometimes preformed.

Have you ever been checked for scoliosis? My ex had mild scoliosis, as did my brother. They had certain stretching exercises to do, to reduce some of the complications, but in severe cases braces or surgery can be done.

If it's bad posture (ie NOT scoliosis or another medical issue), you may want to look into yoga, swimming, working out to strengthen your muscles to support your back, as well as to work on improving posture (yoga and dancing are good for this). And, visualize yourself walking tall, like there is a rope coming out of top of your head holding you up from the sky!

Thanks, everyone.

It's most likely do to poor posture. I've spent many a days sitting at the computer, which is a laptop, and thus I have to look down some to use. I guess I've never really thought about focusing on walking tall and straight, but I'll try to get into the habit of doing that now (and in other situations, too, not just walking or running).

Various bad postures have most likely attributed to it.

If possible, you might want to get checked out by a chiropractor. In addition to doing a complete exam of your spine, he or she can instruct you on proper alignment/posture and give you exercises to help you maintain proper alignment.

Besides that, getting a chiropractic adjustment usually feels really good.

Hi.

As a fellow IT geek, I can tell you one thing: GYM!!!!

And when you walk, you need to get used to walking tall by looking into mirrors often and tightening your ab muscles.

You need to go to the gym and do Core workouts on the abs and obliques and back excercises like rows and pull downs.

Hi.

As a fellow IT geek, I can tell you one thing: GYM!!!!

And when you walk, you need to get used to walking tall by looking into mirrors often and tightening your ab muscles.

You need to go to the gym and do Core workouts on the abs and obliques and back excercises like rows and pull downs.

Actually, I've been doing that lately -- going to the gym and doing those kind of exercises. When I'm not at the gym, I usually try and do some ab workouts (crunches, situps) at home using various techniques. I have one of those yoga/stretching balls, which comes in handy a lot.

I guess it's one of those 'slowly but surely' things.

Anyway... a few minutes ago I found a stool that was not being used in the living room, so I'm using that instead of my chair for when I'm at the computer. And instead of keeping the laptop on the table surface, I grabbed an old textbook and a cloth, and set it on top of that... so I don't have to look down as much.