Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum Member

Straightening upper back/lower neck

I have a slightly arched upper back/lower neck, but I'm no hunchback either. It's not an insecurity of mine, but it's hard to find clothes that look good on me.

Is there anything I can do that can gradually make that part of my body more erect? I'm afraid if I don't pay attention to it, years from now I may be slightly hunched, which I'd prefer not to be. I figured since I'm young, I can try and do something about it.

Any suggestions?
    "Where there is no love, pour love in, and you will draw love out."
    -St. John of the Cross

yoga.

focus on walking and sitting upright, tall spine.

don't be a hunchback. it's not attractive.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1.

Contrary to popular belief, having a "hunchback" isn't due to poor posture, it's actually a result of osteoperosis. So.. Keep up with your calcium intake!

What you're describing sounds like scoliosis. I have it too only my back curves slightly to the left. If it's mild usually no treatment is required but I believe that in more severe cases a brace can be worn and I also believe surgery is sometimes preformed.

oh! go to the doctor then and get things checked out!!!!

Have you ever been checked for scoliosis? My ex had mild scoliosis, as did my brother. They had certain stretching exercises to do, to reduce some of the complications, but in severe cases braces or surgery can be done.

If it's bad posture (ie NOT scoliosis or another medical issue), you may want to look into yoga, swimming, working out to strengthen your muscles to support your back, as well as to work on improving posture (yoga and dancing are good for this). And, visualize yourself walking tall, like there is a rope coming out of top of your head holding you up from the sky!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=darkolivegreen][B]<--- [COLOR=sienna]Carbun the Super-Bunny[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#556b2f][/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=darkolivegreen][B]At the end of the day, how you imprinted on someones life and heart is the only true mark any of us leave on this earth and is what we are most proud of... [/B][/COLOR][/FONT][I][SIZE=1]- My Biggest Hero and Mentor: My Mum.[/SIZE][/I]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=orange][B]Il faut d'abord durer [/B][/COLOR][/FONT][I][SIZE=1]- Ernest Hemingway[/SIZE][/I]

Platinum Member
    Thanks, everyone.

It's most likely do to poor posture. I've spent many a days sitting at the computer, which is a laptop, and thus I have to look down some to use. I guess I've never really thought about focusing on walking tall and straight, but I'll try to get into the habit of doing that now (and in other situations, too, not just walking or running).

Various bad postures have most likely attributed to it.
    "Where there is no love, pour love in, and you will draw love out."
    -St. John of the Cross

while I was writing my thesis, I had some horrible lower back pains, probably from the way I was sitting. now that it is over, it is gone!

maybe readjust your laptop and get some "ergonomically correct" desk furniture.

I used to look a little hunched over myself... but if you just look in a mirror every once in a while and get used to how it feels to be all straightened out you can undo it pretty easily.
    "Whenever I meet a beauty, I escape or hide in a corner. Not that I think they are intimidating, but they attract horrible people. Some guys really do their utmost to make these beautiful women believe how good they are..." - Thom Yorke

If possible, you might want to get checked out by a chiropractor. In addition to doing a complete exam of your spine, he or she can instruct you on proper alignment/posture and give you exercises to help you maintain proper alignment.

Besides that, getting a chiropractic adjustment usually feels really good.
    "And all I can think is that it must be a kind of rebellion
    to arm your fears like soldiers and to slay them...." -The Airborne Toxic Event

"All you need to understand is everything you know is wrong." - Weird Al Yankovic

Silver Member
    Hi.

As a fellow IT geek, I can tell you one thing: GYM!!!!

And when you walk, you need to get used to walking tall by looking into mirrors often and tightening your ab muscles.

You need to go to the gym and do Core workouts on the abs and obliques and back excercises like rows and pull downs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
According to the findings of a recent study, married women may find themselves drinking a lot more alcohol than single or divorced women, while ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It turns out that, when under stress, men tend to be attracted to women with a more curvaceous body type, found a new research, according to which ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Marriage and divorce are linked to weight gain among both women and men, and especially those who are over age 30, found U.S. sociologists. However, ...