Pills (BC pill) stuck in throat, lose effectiveness?

I can't find this on google or anything.

Last night I was in my car and it was time to take my birth control pill. I had a water bottle in my car but it was so old. I used it anyway, but I KNOW the pill got stuck in my throat for 8 minutes... because I really didn't want to take a big gulp or anything.

Do you suppose it's less effective because part of it may have been absorbed through my throat? Like I aid it was in there for maybe 8 minutes... maybe a minute or two more or even less.

I'm thinking of calling my Dr, but on top of not hearing from her until 6 tonight (as it's not an emergency) I want to hear of a lot of responses too.

This was the 4th one of the new pack.

You suppose it's not going to be as effective because it was stuck in my throat for 8 minutes, give or take? I washed it down with an iced coffee, ehhh.... I always wonder about what to drink it with, too. I always do with water but I was out and just got that. That one little pill does a lot of work, so...

Martha

Hey Martha,

Okay, I am going to say it dissolved in your throat but still got into your blood stream. Kind of like those pills that dissolve on your tongue. Still effective. But I would call your doc just to be safe and use other means of protection until you know for sure.

You are probably going to be okay. Even if it dissolved in your throat, it should end up filtering down to your digestive system. It does not really matter what you swallow it with, there are no warnings to take or not take with food/liquids. I always swallowed mine plain (they are tiny suckers, so never got one stuck) but it was at end of night after a snack usually.

As far as I know, you would only have to be worrying if it was a broken pill or something as you may be missing enough hormones, etc, but from sounds of it, you would of absorbed/dissolved it all.

I think you'll be fine, but yes, just call and check with your doctor today.

I've never called or contacted a pharmacist-- would it be the same as contacting a Dr?

It would be good because my Dr calls at 6pm every time I've ever called for her, non-emergency, and that's a long time away; I don't know if I'll be around for the call.

I PMed HossWhispra, though!

Thanks very much for responses; I have a feeling I may have the same problem sometime in the future if I ever am stuck without water, haha. So this will be good to know indefinitely.

I've often called a pharmacist to ask questions. They know better about prescriptions than some doctors! one time a pharmacist refused to give a prescription to my mother for my younger brother because he said that dosage would kill him! So my mother went to another doctor and they completely freaked.

Yes, a pharmacist should know what they are doing!

Yes, call the pharmacist. BeyondtheSea is right. Sometimes they seem to know more than the doctors. I have a friend whose mother is a pharmacist and she lost count of how many times doctors prescribe patients more than one medication that can kill someone if taken together.

Alright, I called them up. The pharmacist said it doesn't matter where along the lines it was, 8 minutes or not as it's still absorbed into my system.

So that is good to know... I'm sure it will happen again with me, haha.