Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pills (BC pill) stuck in throat, lose effectiveness?

I can't find this on google or anything.

Last night I was in my car and it was time to take my birth control pill. I had a water bottle in my car but it was so old. I used it anyway, but I KNOW the pill got stuck in my throat for 8 minutes... because I really didn't want to take a big gulp or anything.

Do you suppose it's less effective because part of it may have been absorbed through my throat? Like I aid it was in there for maybe 8 minutes... maybe a minute or two more or even less.

I'm thinking of calling my Dr, but on top of not hearing from her until 6 tonight (as it's not an emergency) I want to hear of a lot of responses too.

This was the 4th one of the new pack.

You suppose it's not going to be as effective because it was stuck in my throat for 8 minutes, give or take? I washed it down with an iced coffee, ehhh.... I always wonder about what to drink it with, too. I always do with water but I was out and just got that. That one little pill does a lot of work, so...

Martha

all tho im not sure id say your best bet would be to wait 7 days before having sex but id say if your able to take one up to but not over 12 hours late and still be covered you should be save

Hey Martha,

Okay, I am going to say it dissolved in your throat but still got into your blood stream. Kind of like those pills that dissolve on your tongue. Still effective. But I would call your doc just to be safe and use other means of protection until you know for sure.
    "Let your soul be your pilot, let your soul guide you, it will guide you well." Sting

<---- me and my mom :)

"Get busy living or get busy dyin', damn right..." Morgan Freeman, Shawshank Redemption.

You are probably going to be okay. Even if it dissolved in your throat, it should end up filtering down to your digestive system. It does not really matter what you swallow it with, there are no warnings to take or not take with food/liquids. I always swallowed mine plain (they are tiny suckers, so never got one stuck) but it was at end of night after a snack usually.

As far as I know, you would only have to be worrying if it was a broken pill or something as you may be missing enough hormones, etc, but from sounds of it, you would of absorbed/dissolved it all.

I think you'll be fine, but yes, just call and check with your doctor today.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=darkolivegreen][B]<--- [COLOR=sienna]Carbun the Super-Bunny[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#556b2f][/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=darkolivegreen][B]At the end of the day, how you imprinted on someones life and heart is the only true mark any of us leave on this earth and is what we are most proud of... [/B][/COLOR][/FONT][I][SIZE=1]- My Biggest Hero and Mentor: My Mum.[/SIZE][/I]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=orange][B]Il faut d'abord durer [/B][/COLOR][/FONT][I][SIZE=1]- Ernest Hemingway[/SIZE][/I]

Personally I don't think you have anything to worry about. That has happened to me and so far I'm 100% baby free

It's never too late,
    in fiction or in life, to revise.
    ~Nancy Thayer

Every day you sit back and wait for something to happen
    is another day lost.
    ~Jennifer Flavin

I would call a pharmacist just to make sure. That, or hit up HossWispra because she's the eNotalone pharmacist.
    "Your mind is your greatest weapon." - David J. Lieberman, Ph.D

"Most every person or situation can be influenced through the power of psychology."

Platinum Member AntiLove_SuperStar's Avatar
    I really dont think it makes any difference, as long as its taken in orally.
    Don't even TRY it

I've never called or contacted a pharmacist-- would it be the same as contacting a Dr?
    It would be good because my Dr calls at 6pm every time I've ever called for her, non-emergency, and that's a long time away; I don't know if I'll be around for the call.

I PMed HossWhispra, though!

Thanks very much for responses; I have a feeling I may have the same problem sometime in the future if I ever am stuck without water, haha. So this will be good to know indefinitely.

I've often called a pharmacist to ask questions. They know better about prescriptions than some doctors! one time a pharmacist refused to give a prescription to my mother for my younger brother because he said that dosage would kill him! So my mother went to another doctor and they completely freaked.

Yes, a pharmacist should know what they are doing!

It's never too late,
    in fiction or in life, to revise.
    ~Nancy Thayer

Every day you sit back and wait for something to happen
    is another day lost.
    ~Jennifer Flavin

Yes, call the pharmacist. BeyondtheSea is right. Sometimes they seem to know more than the doctors. I have a friend whose mother is a pharmacist and she lost count of how many times doctors prescribe patients more than one medication that can kill someone if taken together.
    "Let your soul be your pilot, let your soul guide you, it will guide you well." Sting

<---- me and my mom :)

"Get busy living or get busy dyin', damn right..." Morgan Freeman, Shawshank Redemption.

•  

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Related Articles & Books
    by Margarita Nahapetyan
    According to the findings of a recent study, married women may find themselves drinking a lot more alcohol than single or divorced women, while ...
    by Margarita Nahapetyan
    It turns out that, when under stress, men tend to be attracted to women with a more curvaceous body type, found a new research, according to which ...
    by Margarita Nahapetyan
    Marriage and divorce are linked to weight gain among both women and men, and especially those who are over age 30, found U.S. sociologists. However, ...