Sleep problems after breakup

It's coming up for almost 6 months now and it still hurts.

My biggest issue is that I am still not sleeping properly and after 5 months it's starting to give me problems. Has anyone got any suggestions for not only getting to sleep but for STAYING asleep?

I still have that aching pain in my neck shoulders and arms which I am convinced is excess adrenalin pumping through which would explain why sleeping is a problem.

I don't talk to her unless it's just being polite. In my head I know that taking her back would be stupid because she changed so much, she treated me quite badly towards the end and it would just never be the same. But my heart would have her back in a second I'm sure.

Sorry that turnned into a bit of a rant! So to recap: how can I STAY asleep?

Thanks

What helped me sleep right after my breakup was exercise and a hot bath. When you exercise your body is using a lot of energy so when you go to bed you are tired. Try lifting weights for an hour in the morning and then go jogging for 30 mins in the evening. When your tired, the last thing you want to do is be awake. So hit that gym. Also the hot bath before bed raises your body temperature which helps you fall alseep better.

If you have to...go to the drug store and ask the pharmacist for something that can help you sleep better.

For the first week after my breakup I took sleeping pills. I can't remember what they were, but they did have the side-effect of making me drowsy and slightly headachey during the day. But I got a fantastic nights sleep. Once I was able to get a few weeks worth of sleep my patterns came back fine and I was able to sleep without it.

Having said that, the fact it has been five months and you are still experiencing problems is of concern. Do you know why you are still troubled? Is it anxiety over the past, or anxiety over the future? I notice you are 22, do you exercise regulary? For myself, I have a very fast metabolism and if I don't exercise regulary I tend to not sleep for very long.

Also, do you lie in bed awake? It is best to get up if you don't feel tired and go do something constructive, such as going for a jog, reading a book, calling a friend, etc... But don't do these things in the bedroom. The bedroom should be a place of SLEEP. If you do this, your body will become tired to the point where you will have no trouble sleeping. Also, make sure you are waking up at the same time every day, regardless of it being a weekend or weekday - good luck!

Have you consulting with a doctor for sleeping pills. Lack of sleep is never good. If your depressed not getting any sleep can really make it worse.

I got into the gym thing. Started going almost everyday just to get my system to calm down and be tired. I did it until I couldn't move. It helped.

But maybe some sort of anti-depressent or sleeping med's could help.

I have had similar problems when I broke up with my ex twice. At first I would go out lots to keep things off my mind and I would drink some wine before I go to sleep (this helps you fall asleep)

The other thing I did was get an audio book, and everytime I would wake up I would turn it on and listen to it... so that I would not start thinking about him and hype myself up.

The gym idea is good aswell.. but if you are as lazy as me even a breakup cannot motivate you