Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Using expired medicine?

Does anyone do this? My mother says it's fine, and you know how it is, "mother is always right," or so she insists. Doesn't mean I'm just like "phew, that's a relief."

I got pink eye and have expired eye medicine for it from 2 years ago. I can't go to the Drs and she won't take me-- It's too hard to get to by myself, I have no idea how to navigate through all that, and I need the insurance card and $20 down payment to see my Dr so she's just like "use the stuff we've got!"

She said she'd take me there if it didn't work but I don't want this longer than I need it for. I'm thinking of exaggerating tomorrow and being like "it burns!"

I know this is probably such a stupid question, but I'm always seeing little medical related questions so I figured this is at least less serious... kind of.

I also thought it would be kind of funny to hear who's mom insists it still works.

Platinum Member renaissancewoman101's Avatar
    Have you used the eye medicine before, meaning was it opened? If it was opened, I would advise NOT using it since medication, esp when opened, can go bad rather quickly. Still, even it is sealed, I would not advise using the medication because meds have a shelf life before they start changing in their structure, or breaking down. That means the medication might not be as effective.

Medication starts to lose its maximum potency after the expiration date. If you used it a few weeks after it expired, it would work efectively. If you use it a few years after the expiration date then its useless because its potency and effectiveness would've diminished to zip.

Martha

Is it just the erythromycin eye ointment?

Go ahead and use it- that stuff lasts for-bloody-ever!

(seriously, it's not harmful, the worst thing that could happen is it is not potent anymore and you still have pinkeye in 3 days and have to go to the doctor anyway- but that ointment rarely goes bad unless it's like 10 years old.)
    Mama to a beautiful baby girl born 6-25-09. :) AND a beautiful baby boy born 6-14-11. :)

Baby # 2 forever missed lost 6-3-10.

"An angel in the book of life wrote down my baby's birth.
    Then whispered as she closed the book "too beautiful for earth".
    ~author unknown

"Victory is sweetest when you have known defeat"
    ~ Malcolm Forbes

Yup, that's it, the erythromycin. The expiration date was 05/04.
    Have you done this before with using it after the expiration date?
    I'm wondering if I have in the past... she's always kind of had us use what we had, but when we were younger we always got it (my siblings and I) This tube was from my sibling... taken care of, never touching their eye as my mother did it for them, just opened. I lasted a while without getting it.

ugh.. I can't believe I got pink eye. I'm so careful to never touch my eyes but it's going around on campus. I passed it off as contact lens irritation for a couple of days now because I never touch my eyes unless they are washed so thoroughly. I didn't get any other signs except redness in one area but it's certainly it without a doubt at this point

just buy some new stuff, who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Diggitydave
    just buy some new stuff, who cares
    You could not have read what I wrote if you're saying that.

I would throw out the contacts you were wearing when you got it, wear your glasses and go ahead and use the ointment- it's likely fine. I have used expired erythromycin opthalmic ointment before and it's worked with no problem- those ointments typically last longer than the expiration date.

Just be sure to wash your hands frequently, don't touch your eyes and toss your contacts out and wait until the pink eye is well cleared up (a week to 10 days or so) before putting in a new pair of contacts. (this is assuming that you wear disposables).
    Mama to a beautiful baby girl born 6-25-09. :) AND a beautiful baby boy born 6-14-11. :)

Baby # 2 forever missed lost 6-3-10.

"An angel in the book of life wrote down my baby's birth.
    Then whispered as she closed the book "too beautiful for earth".
    ~author unknown

"Victory is sweetest when you have known defeat"
    ~ Malcolm Forbes

Yeah I tossed my contacts, but fortunately they were at least halfway. I have the monthly ones. I'll probably wait until next weekend until I put them in again I think.
    Thanks!

I'm glad to hear it works so at least maybe I won't wake up with it worse in the morning. I was really worried about that and wanted to see what people though because even if she was going to take me, I wouldn't have been brought there today and it's been 3 days I've shrugged it off as nothing.

I think you should go to the doctor. Seriously, you are 20 years old, a grown woman, time to take charge of your own health and life.

Now, I know it is just pink eye, but I don't believe in taking chances with your body, especially your eyes. I work with a blind man, he does extremely well, but seriously, you don't want to risk losing your vision.

If hope says it's fine to take, do so. But I still think you should start taking yourself to the doctor if you feel you need to go.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
According to the findings of a recent study, married women may find themselves drinking a lot more alcohol than single or divorced women, while ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It turns out that, when under stress, men tend to be attracted to women with a more curvaceous body type, found a new research, according to which ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Marriage and divorce are linked to weight gain among both women and men, and especially those who are over age 30, found U.S. sociologists. However, ...