Do women find muscular men attractive?

Doctor Smurf

This is something me and my brother have discussed at length - do women find muscular guys attractive? I know that just about all of my female friends enjoy looking at photos of such men, but have never been out with one.

I am one, but not so much wanting to know if it makes me more attractive but could too much muscle be a turn off? Views from ladies in particular welcome!

Ok not trying to be a b***h. But i personally dont like guys with a lot of muscle. I mean yes i go by personality, but if there is not even a tiny bit of physical attraction then there is no relationship. Too much muscle is not a nice look. I like guys who have a little bit of muscle but not too much ... LOL.

Chicks usually just check out the guys in magazines, because they are different. You barely ever see guys like that. i dont know ... thats just what ive been told.

I love musclular men! It's so sexy! Now, I don't like men who are so muscly that their veins pop out and they look like they're about to explode when they flex. Like those guys on T.V. They're pretty gross. I do like a guy who looks like he's doing what he can to stay in shape. Nice legs and arms drive me crazy as I'm sure it does for most women! There are girls who prefer their guys a little lanky. My sister likes her boys puney. Not weak, but not built. For me, it doesn't matter your body type. Seriously. The last guy I dated was definitely not the kind of guy I'm initially attracted to but I loved him and he was good to me so that's all that mattered in the end.

As long as a guy isn't so muscular I'm left wondering how he brushes his teeth I can find muscular guys attractive. I can also find skinny attractive. Even a little extra baggage can be hot so long as it's not so much they appear lazy. It's about the personality that shines through body, not the body.

I have dated men of all shapes and sizes, but I am most attracted to men whom are active and fit - I think of it as "functional muscle" in that it's not muscle from spending hours at the gym, but rather lean, strong muscles from running, climbing, cycling - stuff like that, and with some weight stuff to add to it, but the weight stuff is more geared towards strength and endurance.

That is probably very confusing, but basically I am attracted to men whom look like they have FUN earning that muscle, they are outdoorsy and athletic - not pure gym rats. This is mostly in part because I am the same way...sure I hit the gym a couple times a week, but I also do yoga, running, cycling, paddling....things that I LOVE to do. I look for someone whom values that lifestyle as I do, and also cares for their fitness and health.

My boyfriend is tall, and lean, but very strong without being bulky...and I LOVE that

Hi Doctor Smurf!,

As the other's have said, I think that lean muscle wins.

The most important is that you are a gentleman with good value's, common sense and have some brains about you.

Personality is far more attractive than anything and looks help, but are very secondary.

You need to be able to be easy to talk to and be a best friend. The rest will follow.

I am a 43 year old mom of 7 kids and they are all smart and "TOTALLY ROCK BIG TIME!!!!!!"

P.S. I really hate guy's that have an overly huge neck or biceps/thighs. Yuck!

Lita~

I am most attracted to men whom are active and fit - I think of it as "functional muscle"

My boyfriend is tall, and lean, but very strong without being bulky...and I LOVE that

This is something along the lines of what I was going to say.

Big, bulky bodies only work for certain types of men. My biggest fear when contemplating being with a guy like that (when I was single), was that he'd constantly harass ME to be in a gym or expect constant working out and would nit-pick about what I ate. Fitness is a great thing, but I'm more casual and fun-oriented as opposed to scheduling workout times and 'weighing' my food. BORING.

Until I met my boyfriend I had NO idea what was truly attractive in my eyes. I now realize that it's someone who looks like him: tall (I'm tall, so it's a must!), slim, broad and strong shoulders, with big strong hands. He has an exquisite body in my eyes and certainly doesn't look like a body-builder.

Muscles are sexy...but my personal preference is toned. I like seeing muscles, but when I see some of these body building types or the guys who spend everyday at the gym to look like a "tank", I'm turned off.

I also like to see that a guy has a neck....or his elbows can touch his sides.

Necks are overrated! LOL j/k

It's strange, I've dated guys with great bodies who were never picky about my appearance. And then I've dated guys with less than perfect bodies who were bothering me about my diet and not going to the gym enough. Who are they to talk!?!

I like ALL kinds of men. Bodybuilder built - sure, that's sexy to me. Pick me up and throw me! ha.

I like thin builts, stocky builds, chubby guys, you name it. Not too important.

I have a preference for men that are fit. On any level that indicates caring about their health and body.

I think athetic/muscular men are sexy: not just the body, but it indicates to me that this is someone who will enjoy going to the gym with me, playing sports, doing active things, which I like. Complimenting lifestyles.

Yes, too much muscle could definitly be a turn off. It sure is for me and almost all women I know (There ARE exceptions). When you said that all the women you know like looking at photos of muscular men (?)...I somehow doubt that that's actually true. I'm not saying you're lying, but I think your perceptions must be distorted. Remember I am a woman, and I have a lot of women friends. Also, think of this, I think the most googled man-photo for some time now has been Orlando Bloom; not Vin Deisel or Hulk Hogan. Get it? I don't really have the hots for say...Lou Ferigno!

• 2 weeks later...

It's a good thing not all women fancy the body-builder type man, otherwise, I'd be screwed! Being quite slender myself (not by choice, I say again), I would be in a sad state of affairs if the only guys women ever went for were the hulk types. Not to say I don't have muscle, because I do... but I'll never have the same build as Schwartzeneger or Stallone (from his earlier years, anyway). I try to take care of myself and would hate to be classified as a wimp or a weakling, but still...

Fortunately, women place less importance on the external appearance for their mates than men do. Men tend to be obsessed with finding the perfect woman. Even going so far as to idolize the 36 inch D bust of the 5'6" 120 lb. "goddess" all the while ignoring their 44 inch beer gut and evergrowing nose hair problem. Quite the double standard, doncha think?

Archived