Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Money = Happiness ????

Can money really make you happy?

Some would say yes and some would say no.

All I know is, when my pockets are full and I can blow a grand in a single night and not have to worry about it, I feel pretty good. When I can basically do whatever I want and not have to worry about finances, I'm generally in a great mood.

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness, doesn't have any or never had any"

-not sure where I heard that quote, but I like it.

Money buys you THINGS, not happiness - at least not in my definition of quality happiness.

Yes, there is something good about not having to worry about finances...though sometimes those whom worry the least also are those whom end up with the biggest problems around money. People tend to live above their means, the more means they have, the more above they are. Homeless people don't just come from poor families....they come from Wall Street, layoffs, and not having a backup plan, a reserve, or having huge enormous debts they always figured they would "pay off eventually".

It can relieve financial stresses which is definitely an advantage, however is happiness based on how much money you have? No. Some of the happiest people I have ever met were people with very little money, but a lot of family, friends, community ties. They felt they had a purpose in life and valued what they did have, and the simpler things. Can money make life a little easier - yes. But it also sometimes brings more job stress, less time with family, etc which can also negate some of that. But not having to worry financially can definitely reduce some financial worry.

I could not just arbitrarily blow a grand in one night simply because I place a big value on what can be done without that money, if I have that much to spend in a night, I would hope I would be putting it to good use, and not just in the pursuit of superficial happiness.
    Last edited by RayKay; 03-23-2006 at 12:10 PM.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=darkolivegreen][B]<--- [COLOR=sienna]Carbun the Super-Bunny[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#556b2f][/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=darkolivegreen][B]At the end of the day, how you imprinted on someones life and heart is the only true mark any of us leave on this earth and is what we are most proud of... [/B][/COLOR][/FONT][I][SIZE=1]- My Biggest Hero and Mentor: My Mum.[/SIZE][/I]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=orange][B]Il faut d'abord durer [/B][/COLOR][/FONT][I][SIZE=1]- Ernest Hemingway[/SIZE][/I]

As superficial as it sounds, I think money can buy happiness. However, that's not to say you don't need love, good health, friends, family, etc. Money makes life a heck of a lot easier, the difference between life and death for many unfortunately. It's not so much having money that people think about, but the lack of having any - that's where the stresses of life are.

But really, who really could say they wouldn't be more happy with more money?

There's a big billboard by my home that says "To get the right outcome, you need the right income." I laugh everytime I drive by it...it's so true :S
    and i was thinking to myself, this could be heaven or this could be hell... -the eagles

I think the song is..

"Money can't buy my Love" by the Beatles...

No it can't buy you love or happiness.. but it sure as HeII helps cushion the blow.

Since your are floating around with a grand in your pocket looking for places to spend it.. why not send me some..!!!
    "Sit vis vobiscum."

"nemo me impune lacessit"

"Libera Te Ex Inferis"

"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum"

I've had my income vary widely from year to year. At one point, a maid cleaned the house and a cook put the week's meals in the fridge.
    At other times, I shopped at Goodwill and ate lots of refrieds.
    When my X dumped me, I had some bucks and have tossed some away, but it didn't help much. I dunno, as a working-class type, I enjoy my friends more than money.

Lately, I'm going for minimalism and experiences over stuff. I've owned lots of stuff.
    Last edited by Dako; 03-23-2006 at 12:10 PM.
    << Vigilance.

Quote Originally Posted by mystik
    "To get the right outcome, you need the right income."

HOW FLIPPIN FUNNY.... !!!!!!
    "Sit vis vobiscum."

"Libera Te Ex Inferis"

I saw an episode of 20/20 a while back where John Stossel examined the question "Does Money Buy Happiness?"

Turns out, up to a certain point, it does. Mainly because a certain level of income provides things like a comfortable place to live, clothing, decent food and so forth.

Past that point, more money doesn't automatically translate to more happiness.

That point? About $50,000 a year....provided one manages it properly (not living beyond one's means). Mismanagement of any amount of money willl lead to unhappiness.

Here's an article about a book that was discussed in the John Stossel piece on 20/20... http://www.usaweekend.com/03_issues/...oneysmart.html
    "And all I can think is that it must be a kind of rebellion
    to arm your fears like soldiers and to slay them...." -The Airborne Toxic Event

"All you need to understand is everything you know is wrong." - Weird Al Yankovic

Shes2smart...

HEY.. I remember seeing that report!!! and its probably true.

If you look at Maslow's hiarchy... if all the basic needs are provided for at the bottom of that pyramid.. then I'd say more money "DOES NOT" equate to more happiness.

But if you are with a pond scum bottom feeding parasite who is sucking you dry... I'd say it'd be an ISSUE and you'd be not to happy.
    "Sit vis vobiscum."

"Libera Te Ex Inferis"

I pretty well agree with that figure. I make much more than that and all I can say is I am not very happy at all. For years, I have been stuck in my job because my lifestyle had expanded to use up all that money. I have struggled to get my standard of living down to a managable level and am living on half my income right now.

My plan is to find something to do that gives me a sense of purpose. Doing a job for money, and then taking that money to spend on things to make me happy because my job doesn't fulfill me has become tiresome.

I want to unlatch the golden handcuffs, leave the rat race and find my calling. Until that happens, all money does is reduce stress... but the stress caused by living with no purpose is far greater. Now, if purpose *and* money come together, so much the better... but, afetr years of doign what I have been doing, I know what's more important to me now.
    I just don't get it! She seems totally uninterested in me, despite my smothering obsessiveness! - Nathanial Mayweather

I'm *not* the moose! Nor am I a certified advice giver of any kind... so take everything I say as my opinion... throw away what doesn't work and keep what does. - Me

I agree we all need love, health etc. As much as I make I save a lot too, if I continue on the same path I'm on, I could retire at 35. But, since I'm a workaholic, I don't see that happening. I had so many dead end jobs before I opened this business and I worked my *** off at each one to make **** for money. So, with that work history, now that I make a really nice living, I'm happier overall. Money definately relieves a lot of other stresses in my life.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
How much are men willing to spend while dating highly depends on a number of women available around them, claims a new research by the University of ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Flirting at workplace can indeed help women to get ahead and build their way to success. However, their colleagues will not like it at all, saying ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It turns out that the real problem for unemployed men is not that they cannot pay their bills, but that they actually cannot get dates, a new survey ...