does anyone's skin break out in rash during winter weather??

Hi, kinda embarrassing... but ever since the weather has changed to now very cold dry weather my skin is freaking out and forming these itchy patches of small red bumps mainly along the sides of my torso and chest area, and it likes to spread. I notice that this only happens during the months of really cold weather. When spring/summer hits i do not have this problem at all!. Does any one else have this problem and does anyone have advice on how to prevent/treat this problem??

I have the same thing in wintertime but on the upper arms and on the calves. It itches like hell. I have creams based on hydrocortisone for it, and it helps. I also go to solariums once in a while (too much is of course unhealthy), which helps.

Ilse.

I have the same exact problem. I went to a dermatologist about it and he gave me this moisturizing ointment. I think it happens during the winter because the air is much dryer, so your skin gets very dry too, and thereforeeee, itchy, and forms the rash, whereas in the summer there's more humidity in the air so it doesn't dry out your skin as much. Something that might help is Aveeno, (the lotion or bath powder). It should soothe and moisturize your skin a bit.

thanks for you replies, i actually asked my dad about this (he's a doctor) and he recommended claritin for hives (an anti-histamine) and my rash has cleared up since ive taken it (for like 3-5days). I think it was something due to the release of histamines in my system or something some kind of reaction to the weather change? anyways its almost all gone so im sooo relieved

lol I have excema and my skin breaks out whether it's cold or hot! I don't think you need to see a dermatologist unless it gets serious or botheres you a lot. They like to prescribe steriodal ointments which actually do you less good in the long run. Just take care of your skin, wash it daily and put some moisturiser on it after a shower or something and ride it out.

If it keeps coming back etc then see a local GP first.

That's what i think.

Hasie

My kids get it in the winter time. Exzema... yes, my kids were prescribed Claritin to help with immediate relief. And I use a topical non-steroid prescribed medicine for them. I try to cut down on the bathing in the winter time. And when they get out of the bath.. I lube them up with a good good moisturizer...

Drink lots of fluids. Summer time you are drinking all the time. Winter time you cut back and it causes changes in skin condition to. This will help your skin from the inside and out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gosh, i finally found something due to this particular situation. Last winter i couldn't find anything about this problem. I noticed i just started to have this problem oh... Last year i should say. It was pretty cool and embarrassing. All of my friends and teachers at Highschool (currently a senior) asked if it was hickey. Yet... i complied and answered yes

Yeah, this is a huge problem for me because, it breaks out on my neck. It started to, today during class when i noticed my neck was VERY dry, and it started to itch a bit. I didn't want to rub or itch 'cause i remember from last year, it broke out really fast when i did that. Since that would be irritating the skin then.

I went to my doctor last winter and she prescribed me.. Elidel. It worked, but at first i thought it didn't since it was "SO SEVERE" like huge red patches on my neck. The whole freakin school thought it was hickey on my neck but it was huge. Put about 3 quarters and put it on both side of your neck bunched up into a circle. That's how big it was.

Like what everyone said, moisturizers. Lotions/cream that's specifically made for "extremely dry skin"

Yeah, that's my story. I just wanted to contribute on my own behalf since i've been searching all year for something like this and finally found a board on this topic. Thanks

• 11 months later...

Well, I'm so glad that I'm not the only one having this problem.

I went to the dermatologist and they did allegy test on me and I'm not allegic to anything. When they did the cold test they just put an ice pack on my arm and nothing happen and I told him that it only happen when it's cold outside. He didn't prescribe me anything. He told me I can just get the Anitihistamine (not sure if that's how it spells) It doesn't really help that much anyway. I just stop going to see him. everytime I go it cost me money and he just ask me if it gets worst and I just keep telling him that it only happen when it's cold outside. The itch will break out when there's a sudden change in temperature. I know it eventually go away when I sit still in a normal room temperature. But it's so annoying to have my face, my back and my chest look like I just got stung by an army of bees.

My aunt said her husband has the same problem before and he's now taking Fish oil vitamin and it's not gone away but she said it takes times before you can see the result. Does anybody know how to remedy this?

• 1 year later...