Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Body language of a shy guy who is interested?

Body language of a shy guy who is interested?

What are the give away signs that a shy guy is attracted to you? There is a guy at work who I think is really nice but he's known for being a little, though not painfully, shy. I think he likes me because sometimes I catch him watching me and before we got friendly with each other there was a lot of eye contact across the room. But then sometimes I get signs that suggest the opposite for example it's always me who initiates conversation, though most of the time he does become smiley and talkative and responsive when I do. But then there is the odd time when conversation is a bit stunted or even non-existent because I don't initiate anything. Also I've noticed sometimes that he will avoid my gaze when we are chatting quite close to one another which makes me think he's trying to tell me he isn't interested. I'm quite confused... any opinions?

From what you're saying,and I've recently overcome my shyness so I can kind of relate to the guy , I'd say he actually -is- interested, plain and simple. If he's not talking to you much, he actually probably is. And like you said, there are times when he sort of does show hints of being fond of you, this should come as a sign. Sometimes things slip through the shyness.

yeah, I'd have to agree, I am sort of shy, in a way, and avoiding eye contact with someone you're interested in is common, maybe more common than keeping eye contact, after all, he is shy. At least for me, maintaining a conversation with a girl Im interested in is not the easiest thing ever and sometimes it is easier of she does more of the talking

Silver Member
    Try and judge him each time you guys meet, talk, or see each other.. If he warms up to you quicker and easier each meeting, or run-in, then he's into you.. One thing you can do to make it easier, is when he makes a "pass" at you, compliments you, or says something, even if it's cheesy, or off the wall, reciprocate it back, it'll build his confidence and make him open up much much faster.

If he can maintain eye contact with you while talking, and doesn't wonder off too many times, I'd say your doing a good job of getting him to open up.

I don't know about him, but when I see a beautiful girl that I like, I will glance alot, but sometimes I don't think I have any chance with her so I don't try to initiate conversation. If he doesnt make perfect eye contact during conversation, hes probably just anxious. I try to avoid it, but I find myself doing the same thing sometimes.

Re: Body language of a shy guy who is interested?

When you're shy, eye contact and conversation with someone you really like can be extremely overwhelming. Shy people already have to deal with their usual insecurities, but when you add in the pressure of impressing someone they genuinely like, it's no surprise conversation is stilted etc. Btw, if a shy person avoids you all together, that's an extremely good sign.

Seriously from everything you've said, it sounds like he really likes you, but due to his shyness doesn't feel comfortable doing anything that would make himself vulnerable to rejection like initiating conversation etc. If he's responsive and talkative when you initiate contact, that's a really positive sign. Being talkative is out of character for shy folks, so obviously you're having some odd magical effect on him.

Rather than keep guessing what he thinks, why not invite him out for coffee, ice cream, or lunch and have fun getting to know him better? His reactions sound like they're worth studying a little more.
    "Sigh... I guess you're an adult now and know what you're doing." -- Smallworld's Mom 3.05.06

shy guy

but what if the shy guy acts the way described, and he KNOWS you like him, but it's been a month since you went out with him (which you asked him to)? Wouldn't knowing that you like him boost his confidence to ask you out? What would be the hold up?
    What should you do to encourage him to ask you out?

Quote Originally Posted by anon. View Post
    but what if the shy guy acts the way described, and he KNOWS you like him, but it's been a month since you went out with him (which you asked him to)? Wouldn't knowing that you like him boost his confidence to ask you out? What would be the hold up?
    What should you do to encourage him to ask you out?
    Ask him out ten more ten more times. If he's shy he will still have doubts that you like him after only one date. You may actually have to kiss him before that fact sinks in.
    @}->-- --<-{@

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    Btw, if a shy person avoids you all together, that's an extremely good sign.
    Sorry to barge in, but could you explain that? That doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, and though I believe you, I don't quite get it...

To the topic creator, it does appear as if this guy likes you. I would suggest getting to know him a bit more -- it's not like he'll mind you initiating more conversations with him if he likes you! You'll be able to tell if he's not interested if he doesn't pay attention to you when you're talking to him.

Quote Originally Posted by ExarionUniverse19 View Post
    You'll be able to tell if he's not interested if he doesn't pay attention to you when you're talking to him.
    I don't know about that, that seems to be going a bit far. I don't ever remember a guy not paying attention to a conversation I was having with him, and I certainly wouldn't assume that every guy I have ever conversed with was attracted to/interested in me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Contrary to the common belief that online dating is only for the young individuals, the new research by two Bowling Green State University professors ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
How much are men willing to spend while dating highly depends on a number of women available around them, claims a new research by the University of ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It turns out that the real problem for unemployed men is not that they cannot pay their bills, but that they actually cannot get dates, a new survey ...