An exercise bike will give you a similar workout however there will be a lot more focus on your leg muscles, i.e. your legs will hurt more - your quadriceps. hamstrings and calf muscles particulary so make sure you stretch. Maintaining a straight posture will help tone your core or stomach muscles and your will also use your back muscles.

Bikes like treadmill can be cardiovascular exercise, so when u work for over 20 minutes of continual exercise you should start to burn fat which is good news for the love handles!

Bikes are great because they are low impact and you are less likely to sustain an injury than when running (unless you fall off of course!) They can just be a little uncomfortable on the rear if you know what i mean Goodluck

Hi Ruthlah,

From personal experience u can never loose weight in one paticular area (the term usually called position spotting), regardless if its treadmill, step ups etc. Using the bike may slightly tone your legs.

If you want to loose your lovehandles or weight of your stomach is to have right balance diet and also exercise. Basically burn more calories than u take in.

A year ago i had love handles and bit off a belly they way i lost the weight was to get rid of my junk food. I usually have a day where i get a take out or eat something sweet (chocalates, sweets etc). Also i goto the gym 5 times a week doing cardio/weight training exercises.

As HomerSimpson said, spot reduction is not possible (wow, ive never said that before!). In other words, any cardiovascular exercise that you do can not just burt fat from one particular place on your body. Although, in general there are areas of the body that will lose fat faster than others. For example, men generally lose external fat first and find it harder to burn off the internal fat around organs, whereas women will generally lose that internal fat first and have trouble burning the external fat (big hips and bums).

Using an exercise bike will, however, help to tone your quadriceps, hamstrings and calf muscles. It is also a much lower-impact exercise than running is, that means it is better for your bones and joints! The only drawback is that most people usually burn more calories per minute when running compared with when they are on an exercise bike.

• 4 years later...