teeth whitening and smoking

well, I wanted to know - how much harm exactly smoking does to teeth (the appearance). I believe there are smokers among those people who have whitened/bleached their teeth, so - I would like to know their experience.

My teeth are yellowish genetically, occasionally I do some whitening at the dentist, and the results are nice (I`m a student and cant`t afford more whitening sessions for BRILLIANT results ). I do it once every six months.

But last time I did this, the effect started to fade faster. I don`t know why - well, yeah, I drink a lot af coffee and I also smoke (and i`m not quite ready to give up these two things... not yet). Maybe I do this more often recently, perhaps that`s the reason. Or, it`s possible, I just started it too soon after the whitening... but I did wait for 48 hours.

Well, in a couple of words - please tell your experience. I`m planning to invest some more money to get a really nice looking smile, but... will it be worth the money, if I need to do that again soon. Are cigarettes and white teeth so uncompatible things, do I have to choose?

P.S. Don`t answer if you just want to judge me, I`m old enough and responsible for my decisions. (... just in case ) thnx

you can get do it yourself whitning kits there pretty cheap last ages and really work iv tried them giv me great results. i uhh saw one on some shopping chnnel once llooked pretty good its called rapid white pro. but yes smoking and cofee make your tetth yellow i know from expericne.....but yo should try them products they work....

Hi faerie,

Well i have had my teeth whitened lately by my dentist. Although I didn't go for the bright white Hollywood smile, my teeth are a lot whiter now. I paid £400 UK pounds to do this procedure and am very pleased with the results.

What they did to me was they took a mould of my teeth and produced a 'gumshield'. I then had to put a gel and wear this gum shield overnight for two weeks. The results were really amazing. I have been told by others that the over the counter stuff you buy isn't nearly as effective.

So since my dentist has a copy of the moulds all I have to do when I want a top up is go back to the dentist and just buy a top up gel which will be considerably less than the amount I paid to get the moulds done!

goodluck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Baking soda will help, but you have to be careful to not use it too often because you can damage the enamel!

I tried the Crest White Strips and my teeth were *so* unbelievably sensitive that every noise was like nails on a chalk board. I laid in bed for three days crying, unable to touch anything, to eat anything. It wasn't worth it for me. And they tasted horrible.

Is it possible to get something like Invisalign? At least then you'd be doing the damage to the retainer/braces and then you could pop it out when you aren't smoking?

Why are you wasting your money on teeth whitening when you continue to smoke and drink coffee? Both of those will make your teeth yellow again. I would wait until you can at least cut down on both of those before investing again in teeth whitening. You can buy teeth whitening tooth paste, but I wouldn't be buying expensive stuff since it won't last as long as you continue your bad habits.

Why are you wasting your money on teeth whitening when you continue to smoke and drink coffee? Both of those will make your teeth yellow again. I would wait until you can at least cut down on both of those before investing again in teeth whitening. You can buy teeth whitening tooth paste, but I wouldn't be buying expensive stuff since it won't last as long as you continue your bad habits.

This thread is 5 years old and the OP has not signed in here for 5 years!

• 1 month later...

Yes, smoking & coffee do make your teeth yellowish! There are lots of good teeth whitening products out there, and that you can use in your own home, which are not expensive and work really well!

If you are serious about having the white smile, then perhaps one coffee a day would not make that much difference, but, as a casual smoker myself for nearly 30 years, I can say, it's not good for your teeth of your breathe! Try & go without it!

Well, my advise is exactly what you didn't ask for advice on.

As an ex smoker, I should tell you, quitting smoking is not that hard. I have the vague suspicion that the gum manufacturers and the cigarrette manufacturers are behind the myth that it's harder than heroin. I LOLVED smoking. It relaxes me and makes me calm and balances my mood. I love the taste. It kept my apatite in check. Smoking is great except for the terrible effect on the cardiovascular system.

The first time I quit I was on a camping trip and didn't have any on me. I was distracted, admittedly, but... I didn't get the shakes, I didn't start muttering, I didn't get horribly depressed, I didn't gain wait, I didn't even feel the uncontrollable urge to crawl bloody kneed to the nearest town and drop my last change on a new pack.

I started smoking again in exam season months later with the knowledge that it really isn't that hard to quit. But MAN, the smell bothered me. The knowledge that I smelled bad to other people bothered me even more. So I gave the rest of my second pack to someone else, and never looked back. I would recommend it. Don't cut back, don't buy the stupid gum, just stop smoking. Seriously, the best thing about smoking is how CLEAN you feel after you quit.

As for coffee, I have a new system... Strong in the morning, decaf in the evening. Brew the decaf strong, it still has caffeine in it, but since I've gone to that system, my skin is tons better and I don't get headaches as much. By the way, quitting coffee is tons harder than quitting cigs. I tried, and failed to quit coffee. I once ran out of money for groceries, and I spent it on coffee, not veggies, not fruits, not ciggarretts, but coffee. It's bad, I tell you... it's bad.

lol@smoking is great except on cardio system. It's bad for skin, it's bad for body function, it's bad for your stomach, it's bad for pretty much everything. Oh yeah, and then there's cancer. Neat little disease. I know what you mean though, smoking is pretty great.

I've had my teeth whitened professionally, cost around $500. Amazing results. THen I started smoking again, and drinking coffee. Teeth didn't get too yellow, but recently I tried the Crest Strips Pro, and had great results yet again. I would recommend them, but do be careful - if your gums are sensitive, I would stay away.

• 5 months later...

Smoking is really bad for your health and to your teeth. Your teeth turn yellow because of the tar in the cigarette and sometimes it is the reason of losing teeth. Smoking triggers the accumulation of bacteria in plaque. Thus, if you have plaque on your teeth (which we all have in varying degrees) then smoking just helps the bacteria stick better. So when there is bacteria on the teeth, it can cause an inflammation of the gums which if left untreated for long enough it can lead to the teeth becoming loose and eventually falling out. By the help of baking soda, it can reduce the stains in your teeth. The process of brushing teeth with a baking soda and salt mixture has been around for a long time, and for good reason. It can actually be effective in removing stains, especially with the help of peroxide. Baking soda will also help to kill bacteria which cause plaque, and reduce acids which can harm tooth enamel.

what's the fascination with 'white' teeth. are teeth really meant to be a perfect shade of white? seems like a bit of a crock to me. i blame hollywood...and only because years of parusing the breakup forum has taught me that i should feel good about finding someone to blame!! so hollywood: thanks for bolstering some more 'perfection through vanity' innuendo. thanks for giving people one more reason to feel bad about themselves.

ha!!

i like your post, ella. very informative.

• 2 months later...
lol@smoking is great except on cardio system. It's bad for skin, it's bad for body function, it's bad for your stomach, it's bad for pretty much everything. Oh yeah, and then there's cancer. Neat little disease. I know what you mean though, smoking is pretty great.

My Father never smoked a day in his life, yet died of a massive heart attack at 43. My best friend at college was a non smoker and developed lung cancer at age 29. My grandmother just turned 92, has beautiful skin and all her natural teeth. She eats whatever she likes and smokes like a chimney. My neighbor was an rude, aggressive anti smoking zealiot, like you, and on her 36th Birthday she was hit by a train. Oh well, I suppose you will most probably get ill or die on someday, too. Perhaps on your big soap box boring yourself to death.

My Father never smoked a day in his life, yet died of a massive heart attack at 43. My best friend at college was a non smoker and developed lung cancer at age 29. My grandmother just turned 92, has beautiful skin and all her natural teeth. She eats whatever she likes and smokes like a chimney. My neighbor was an rude, aggressive anti smoking zealiot, like you, and on her 36th Birthday she was hit by a train. Oh well, I suppose you will most probably get ill or die on someday, too. Perhaps on your big soap box boring yourself to death.

My soap box is amazing. It's great what some KNOWLEDGE does to people. Clearly you didn't pick this up, but I SMOKE. You're right, some people go their entire lives smoking and not have a problem to show for it. Good for them. You know how much smoking increases your chances of pretty much every disease out there other than sexually transmitted ones? Do you know the dramatic decrease in CVD, stroke, etc when you quit smoking? My dad has smoked for 20+ years, and he's just fine. My grandpa had to have his voicebox operated on because of smoking.

It's about increase in risk. That's all. I'm not an anti smoking nazi, but you apparently have some issues with your anger. Should get that checked out. While you're at it, you should check out some research on smoking related deaths. Maybe then you can get a shiny soap box of your own.

Anything else?

btw, glad you made an acct just to bash our posts. Awesomeness.

• 7 months later...
I too used the whitestrips and they also made my teeth extremely sensitive. I spoke to a seattle dentist and he suggested that I just come in for an in office whitening. It worked quite well
You can whiten your teeth easily with a strawberry and baking soda. I hope that can works out with you.
  • 1 year later...

Archived