Meaning of kissing your hand??

Magic_star829

I never understood the kissing of the hand thing...I don't find it romantic at all. In the old days it was used both as a "romantic gesture" as well as a show of gallantry towards women in general. I think people do the hand kissing thing now because they think it is being romantic or gallant. I think it is obnoxious.

holy crud are you serious???? obnoxious??!!

My boyfriend does it when we are holding hands in the car, sitting beside eachother on the couch, and holding hands and walking around at random times... I asked him what made him want to do it and he said because he feels that he can never get enough of me and he adores me. I had never had a bf kiss my hand before him and it does make u feel kind of special...

You'd have to ask him. The bf!

Usually when I've bothered to ask a bf why he is doing what he is doing, the answer is along the lines of "thought you'd like it" "felt like doing it at the time"

or the ubiquitious

"I don't know. Why? " lol.

Questions, questions. If you liked it, enjoy it! It means whatever you want it to mean, really.

now thats true..like a random creepy guy... yeah that i understand. maybe thats what she meant by obnoxious.

Yeah, I was referring to someone you don't know well or you just started dating. It is different if it is your boyfriend. I was at a party once and this man tried to kiss my hand...I have met him several times before at the same yearly party. It wasn't a come-on, it was just his bizarre notion of gallantry (he is an off the wall, rather obnoxious know-it-all who rubs a lot of people the wrong way). I quickly yanked my hand back before he could do anything.

My hubby does this every now and then....we could be at a restaurant...in the car...wherever. Its usually when its more difficult to kiss me on the lips but he still wants to show me a bit of extra affection. I love it....it definitely makes me feel cherished and special. However, I wouldnt want some creepy guy I dont know trying to kiss me....blah.

• 2 weeks later...

What kind of kiss to the hand are we talking about her, I do a few personally. Are we talking the old fashion chivalric knights kiss on the back of the maidens hand? For me thats an attempt at being at being cute, or if its a girl I don't know very well, a way of saying I want to kiss you, but respect your space and want to let you make the move. I very rarely do this. The kiss to the hand I always do, is when a girl and I are sitting or lying together, I'll take her hand in both of mine and lay a soft tender one on the back while rubbing gently with my thumbs. I use this the same way as a kiss on the forehead. A way of non-verbally saying 'I love you, and not just in the physical sense.'

• 1 month later...

back in old england a man of nobility would kiss a womans hand to show some kind of connection and respect for her i am pretty sure. the man used to get down on a knee and kiss her on the back of her hand to be very suave and romantic.

these days i wouldn't do it to a stranger but if your a guy, your partner will def love it. its a very sweet sentiment kind of thing.

Archived