Eating, but never getting full!

Does anyone else have this problem? Lately, I have been eating, and I never get the message to my brain that says "I'm full." I could seriously just eat all day and never stop. I don't know what is going on, but I am afraid of blowing up! I'm already trying to slim down, and this isn't helping. This is something that is recent.

I'm trying to drink lots of water, decaf tea, fruits and veggies. Somehow it isn't helping. And I'm not pregnant or on any medications. I am kind of stress out these days, I am not sure if that is it or not. (I can be an emotional eater if I am not careful.)

Any suggestions how to get this to stop?

annie, i know how you feel. i love food. what helps me a lot actually is exercising. i hate to ruin hard work by eating it all away also it really helps me get out my stress and i love getting outside to do it. also, this might sound weird. but i brush my teeth a lot. b/c i hate eating after i brush my teeth!

annie you need to eat with others, what you have is a case of the "hungry ghost" no matter what you eat, your stomach seems slightly bloated and are never satisfied. Ask a friend to go with you to your favorite restaurant, spend about three hours, order wine, order desert, savor every bite but MOST of all start conversations before you eat anything, and only eat after you have felt that your stomach wants it to be nourished by the food.

Indian food is good for that, very savory. Not able to eat it that fast.

Annie,

Are you eating protein, too?

Fruits, veggies and water don't fill me up. Bread and other 'carby' stuff don't cut it long term, either (I get hungry after a bowl of oatmeal, for example). But if I add an egg or a few slices of bacon to my meal, I feel satiated longer and as a result, I eat less.

How are your hours? Are you staying up late a lot? When I do that, I seem to feel/get more hungry.

So in a nutshell:

1) Eat more protein

2) Get sufficient sleep

3) Add exercise (walking is great)

4) Never deprive yourself of food or an occasional treat (because that is when you'll end up eating more)

Maybe it is worms. I had worms when I was a child. They the worms eat all the food you eat, so you are never full. I remember I would eat and eat and eat but was still hungry. So my mom took me to the doctor, and they discovered worms inside me. Not to gross you out, but they had to pull them out manually out from my anus.

Go to a doctor and tell your doctor about your symptoms.

Does anyone else have this problem? Lately, I have been eating, and I never get the message to my brain that says "I'm full." I could seriously just eat all day and never stop. I don't know what is going on, but I am afraid of blowing up! I'm already trying to slim down, and this isn't helping. This is something that is recent.

I'm trying to drink lots of water, decaf tea, fruits and veggies. Somehow it isn't helping. And I'm not pregnant or on any medications. I am kind of stress out these days, I am not sure if that is it or not. (I can be an emotional eater if I am not careful.)

Same with me, my roommate, my room mate's GF, and my other roommate. I think it's just something in the air

But to feel full, you need more fiber in your diet. Incorporate more water and oatmeal.

I am kind of stress out these days, I am not sure if that is it or not.

Yes thats it. I used to eat a lot of chocolate when i was studying or a lot of brazilian nuts, almonds...

Also I tend to eat always just a little bit less - I stop eating my lunch when I am not having this feeling of beeing completely full. I just learned to live with it!

Oh, but I eat pretty much often - ever 5 to 4 hours because of that.

How to stop?

I don't know. Try to control yourself.

Buy healty snacks - like fruit and forse yourself to eat that only between the meals.

The trick I used - I was chewing a chewing gum when studying for example. Kept me occupied from bitting my lips and eating almonds, raisins and chocolate.

So I was constantly on the chewing gum ;-) with a bottle of water.

Chewing gums are not the healthiest thing in the world...but what can you do?

Be careful they can have laxative effect if consumed in big amounts.

I am kind of stress out these days, I am not sure if that is it or not

Stress makes you seem like you haven't ate even when you know you have a stomach full of food.

You can do some exercise to balance out what you've taken in. Then just wait till stress go by.

That's the most accessible way.

The other way is to handle stress by being proactive about your source of stress.

That kind of situation happens to me when I feel like i wasn't prepared for an exam or that a project is due soon. It would have been better to prevent it, but at the critical times, I try to handle stress by studying/doing my assignments. That'll make me feel better at the end of the day & less stressed out the day after.

I've seen some of my friends add 10-20 pounds in their post secondary life.

I'd second what hosswhispra said about protein and also remind you that it is the fat content in food that gives saiety value (feeling 'full') and carries flavor. That egg or a few slices of bacon she mentioned in her post not only have protein, they also have fat. If I have my usual breakfast of cereal, milk, fruit and tea I'll get hungry after 4 or 5 hours. If I add a couple strips of bacon, it adds 1-2 more hours before I'm hungry. Don't always have time for the bacon, nor do I want it every day...but that's just what I've noticed.

If you have cut out/cut down fat, that may part of your problem. You may need to add some back in. While that may be counterintuitive, wouldn't it be better to have some fat, feel full, and eat less/feel less hungry overall than to be eating piles of vegetables and never feeling satisfied?

LOL, I don't think it's worms (although I have had that concern when I've traveled abroad and came back losing weight for no real reason!)

Thank you for all your suggestions, I'll give them a try. Yeah, I have been really stressed and busy these days, I kind of just scarf down my lunch to get back to work (usually a sandwhich, diet soda, fruit) in like 7 minutes and I think I am still hungry because my brain doesn't remember eating. Eating slower may be a way to go.

I usually eat a healthy breakfast and lunch and have small snacks (low fat pudding, yogurt, granola bar), but then around dinner, I'll wind up eating a lot + chocolate! And still wind up hungry! I hope this passes in a few weeks, I'm not gaining weight yet, but I will if this keeps up. yikes.

I'll try your suggestions and see if anything works. I would love to use those appetite control pills, but all I've heard is that they are bad for you.

Yeah, I have been really stressed and busy these days, I kind of just scarf down my lunch to get back to work (usually a sandwhich, diet soda, fruit) in like 7 minutes and I think I am still hungry because my brain doesn't remember eating. Eating slower may be a way to go.

Annie,

I think with eating that fast (whoa! 7 minutes for lunch)--you won't feel satiated. I have noticed this about myself. I read/heard somewhere that your brain needs at least 20 minutes of eating to 'feel' satiated. Try eating/enjoying every bite of your food over a span of at least 20 minutes and see what will happen. I am willing to say that you will feel satiated longer.

I noticed that 'capping' my meal off with a hot beverage (tea, or decaf coffee) I will remain satiated longer. This is because hot liquids (in addition to fat--which is why we feel satiated longer after eating a meal with some fat in it) decrease the rate of gastric (stomach) emptying. The food stays in your stomach longer and in turn, you feel satiated longer.

In a nutshell:

1) Slow down the rate of eating your meal (i.e. at least 20 minutes vs. the 7 minutes you get now!)

2) Add a bit of fat (with the protein) 'carby' things spike your insulin and then cause it to fall faster (resulting in you feeling hungrier sooner)

3) Cap your meal off with a hot beverage (to decrease the rate of gastric emptying)

4) Add some exercise that you can keep up with on a long term basis (i.e. walking is great--I walk 5-6 days a week for at least one hour--my weight has not budged since I have been 16!)

5) Get sufficient sleep

6) Never deprive yourself of food or your favorite treats (I believe in following a craving--it is better to 'give-in' to your craving sooner rather than later--because if you put off your craving or deny it--invariably you may end up eating more of what you originally craved (i.e., everything in moderation)

I would also suggest that when you eat dinner, make sure you're not doing anything else. I've read a lot that say if you take the time to really pay attention to what you eat, and not spend your time online, reading, watching tv, etc, then you'll become fuller faster.

Also, like I think some others have said, eat around 5 meals a day and they should have some protein in them.

I have the same problem...although my problem is more during the day. At work we have junk food everywhere. Chocolate at people's desks, in the break room, and other junk food in the break room for us to eat. I can't resist!

Thanks, I will definitely go with those suggestions. I am focusing on eating a lot of "mini-meals" lately. I sleep a lot, at a minimum, 7 hours, but usually 8-9 hours a night. I exercise about 3 times a week, but getting closer to 7 would be great. I love walking, I want to go back to walking everywhere as opposed to taking the bus once the weather warms up again. That will help.

I lost a lot of weight about 5 years ago (30 pounds), but it has all slowly crept back. I was very strict with journaling everything I ate (I did weightwatchers). I know I can do it again if I put my mind to it, but I just DREAD the thought of having to journal everything. It was slightly obsessive. ie, "Ok, I can have the pasta for dinner, if I do an extra 30 minutes of cardio afterwards, and then cut back on tomorrow's lunch......" It just got crazy. I don't know that i want to do that again, my brain has so much other stuff to worry about!

But, on the other hand, it is also a financial issue..... I have so many cuter clothes in smaller sizes that I used to fit into, whereas I only have 1 pair of jeans in my size now. I keep telling myself if I lose weight, it will be like having a brand new waredrobe again! (Right now, I am between a size 10 and 12.)

But, I will definitely try your suggestions. I am having a cup of herbal tea (no sugar) now. And I just ate a mini granola bar to ward off the hunger pains after dinner (I ate at 6 PM).

I think it is all due to stress. When I am stressed out, when I eat, all the negative emotions and worries are out of my head. But then, 7 minutes later, they are back. I have to go back and replace the eating with healthier responses to stress, like I did back in the day I know what I have to do, I just have to go and do it!

Hey Annie,

First off, congratulations on that 30 lb weight loss! That is certainly not small potatoes in my book.

Yes, journaling everything you eat can get to the point of being obsessive. If you can get your mind off of this (i.e. food) and shift your attention to something else, I think that would be in your benefit. In other words, stop thinking "fat" thoughts (I heard that in The Secret---I think it makes sense).

The hot herbal tea is soothing. I think that is a great choice. The granola bar is good but it may have a lot of carbohydrate sugars in it. Why not try a piece of cheddar cheese (Cracker Barrel makes individually wrapped snack slices). One slice of cheddar cheese has enough oomph! in it to satiate you longer than a granola bar (and way less carbs in it). It is actually one of my favorite snacks--and it can tide me over for hours.

Then of course---walking--->it is a wonderful way to unwind, destress and it is very easy/cheap form of exercise. I highly recommend it.

Annie...the simplest thing people miss is how many times you chew. The less you chew, the more you'll end up eating. They say it's good to chew as much as 50 times...yes, liquified but if you're a fast eater, I would slow down and chew more.

Not only that'll get you more full with less food but also it's easier on your body & less work for the stomach to digest the food. You should feel less tired as well

I would up protein and veggies and watch the carbs too. I know if I eat too many carbs, I seem to eat and eat and eat and eat until I get sick instead of full! Carbs for me seems to trigger some sorta auto-eat mode in me that i don`t get from eating protein or veggies.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys - I have been following your suggestions and can now squeeze (barely!) into a smaller size jean. I've been trying to eat slower (I'm proud to say I have doubled my lunch time to 14 minutes, LOL!), and drink more water and non-sugared tea. I'm also having more "mini-meals" and grazing a bit and having more snacks (like fruit, or a few chips + salsa) rather than eating EVERYTHING at dinner time.

My next goal is to fit into these jeans comfortably!

thanks!

sounds good annie!! also consider the type of snacks you eat -- i.e. I eat granola bars as snacks, which may sound healthy but the carb. content is a lot. and I also eat low-fat cereal with soy milk for breakfast but too big portions.....and so it evens out to prob. around 300 calories just for breakfast!! I'm seriously gaining weight because of this.. think about the type of foods you eat and portion size. Instead, if I would just have fruit for breakfast and a salad for lunch and snack on veggies, for instance, I'd lose weight a lot quicker than my carb-intensive meals and snacks..

I'm a size 6 right now which is the biggest i've been in a while... i need to slim back so i'm going to try that, but with exams it's really tough! I feel your pain..g'luck

How recent is this? Because I know that between the time that I ovulate and the time I have my period, this is me to a T. I am constantly hungry, no matter what perfect blend of carbs/fiber/protein/fat/animal/vegetable/mineral I eat. Do you think it might just be your hormones shifting around?

Yeah, I have no solution for that, I'm sorry. I wish I did. The only thing I can do during those two weeks is make sure I don't have any snackage in the house.

How recent is this? Because I know that between the time that I ovulate and the time I have my period, this is me to a T. I am constantly hungry, no matter what perfect blend of carbs/fiber/protein/fat/animal/vegetable/mineral I eat. Do you think it might just be your hormones shifting around?

Yeah, I have no solution for that, I'm sorry. I wish I did. The only thing I can do during those two weeks is make sure I don't have any snackage in the house.

oh, it was going on for weeks, not just a few days. I was going through some high stress times, now it is over, my appetite is somewhat back to normal. (To the point where I had chocolate ice cream in the freezer, and I totally forgot about it for a few days!!!)

the granola bars I have been eating are these small portioned, 120 calories ones, so they aren't so bad. not huge calorie bombs.

edit: lily, a size 6, for your height, is really slim and wonderful, don't stress!

[

The trick I used - I was chewing a chewing gum when studying for example. Kept me occupied from bitting my lips and eating almonds, raisins and chocolate.

So I was constantly on the chewing gum ;-) with a bottle of water.

Chewing gums are not the healthiest thing in the world...but what can you do?

Be careful they can have laxative effect if consumed in big amounts.

Aaaagh!

Chewing gum only makes you hungrier!

You need to distract yourself from your stomach.

Keep busy, stick to 3 or 4 meals a day and make sure they're GOOD meals with lots of protein: chicken, lean meat, fish, omelette etc.

x

• 1 month later...

well, now with summer starting, i'm drinking a lot more water and iced tea, and a lot less fatty foods, so i've lost 5 pounds, and i actually get full. yay summer plus it is wedding/graduation season, so I've bought all these presents for family and friends, but not really food for myself. I had a late night snack of broccoli with ginger soy sauce last night, it was the only thing in my fridge *sigh*

and I've also been walking several miles a day, now that the weather is nice again. I can't really do that in the winter time. that's helping with the weight also.

Archived