How possible is it to get pregnant while on the patch?

Araziel

My boyfriend and I recently decided to stop using condoms because of the multiple aggravations involved. I've been on the patch for awhile now and I've had no problems so far. I'm just a paranoid person, I pretty much worry over everything. So needless to say right after we did it I was worried about being pregnant! We've been dating for over a year and we've had the talk about what would happen if I got pregnant. We both agreed to keep the child if I ever got pregnant, but I know neither one of us are financially stable enough at this point to raise a kid so it makes me nervous about it.

Anyway! I just took my patch off today and it normally takes me a few days to start my period anyway. I woke up this morning and my boobs were really swollen but not painfully so. The patch has recently been making my boobs bigger but because I worry about everything I worry about this too lol. I've also had stomach cramps, but that could be from stress or from sex because I often feel like I got punched in the stomach after sex!

So I guess my questions are, when do the signs show, and how likely is it to get pregnant while on BC? Oh, and on a side note, I'm going to the doctor on Monday since sex has been very painful for the past few months....if I start my period before the doctor's appointment should I cancel? I never understood if you could go to the gyno while on your period or not.

Thanks!

Swollen breast irritability tenderness,dry skin anxiousness are all symptoms of a womans period from the change in hormone levels at the time.Cramping can also be from a period but do get checked for the pain discomfort. Normally a womans cervix is also swollen at that time . Pain during sex could be a swollen cervix and this can be caused from a few things. See the gynacologist because they will be able to pick up and cell irregularities and make sure there are no pre cancerous cells there as well. I am certain that this is pretty important to many women who read this forum.

If the women of this forum feel uncomfortable with me posting in this section as a man please let me know.

I have been married for 16 years,delivered the first half of my daughter as the nurse left the room!! So I do have an idea on these things but I would feel worse if I made you uncomfortable posting here. I would then not post in these maters again

Thanks.

tb

I would get on the pill instead.

I don't trust things like the patch and the nuva ring. Too many people I know have gotten pregnant on those.

The patch could just fall off, and the ring could fall out.

My friend just got pregnant on the Ring.

I would get on the pill instead.

I don't trust things like the patch and the nuva ring. Too many people I know have gotten pregnant on those.

The patch could just fall off, and the ring could fall out.

My friend just got pregnant on the Ring.

Just as many people have gotten pregnant while on the pill.

It's easier to forget a pill or have something reduce to effectiveness of the pill than it is for the nuvaring to just "fall out".

If you're not ready to become parents and are paranoid about the effectiveness of the patch (and no birth control is 100%) doubling up by using condoms and the patch should provide you with peace of mind and extra protection.

Honestly, I just don't get it when people post worried about getting pregnant and they are not using condoms. Seems like a no brainer to me.

• 3 weeks later...
If you're not ready to become parents and are paranoid about the effectiveness of the patch (and no birth control is 100%) doubling up by using condoms and the patch should provide you with peace of mind and extra protection.

Honestly, I just don't get it when people post worried about getting pregnant and they are not using condoms. Seems like a no brainer to me.

I've had a real problem with yeast infections recently, and the doctor said that condoms could be a part of that. Honestly they're very irritating and painful to me.

I absolutely second this.

I am terrified of getting pregnant, and worry about it a lot. My boyfriend and I have always used both the pill and condoms, and even then I have managed to have several "pregnancy scares", when I managed to convince myself I was pregnant even though I obviously was not.

Give yourself the gift of peace of mind. There are other methods you can use to double up on the BC: spermicide, female condom, diaphragm. If I were you I would try very hard to figure out the yeast infection problem, so that you CAN use condoms.

Re: what Rose said. The Nuvaring and Patch are supposed to be just as effective as the pill, and there is no scientific evidence that they are any less so. Taking the pill presents its own set of challenges: remembering to take it on time, and taking it on time every day. I know of people who claim to have been taking the pill perfectly and got pregnant, so it does happen, with every method of BC ...

Archived