Stopping your breath while falling asleep ?

Tarkan

Last night I couldn't sleep because everytime I tried I had a strange sensation of suffocation, like if I forgot to breath. It doesn't happen on regular base but it wasn't the first time either. Seriously, I was so afraid to go to sleep because it really felt like dying !

Is this a bad sign for anything else ? How can you prevent this ?

If I don't stand to be corrected, this is called sleep apnea. You could either rent an uncomfortable mask for, anywhere from a few days to who knows when, have surgery to correct the issue or you could lose some weight- about ten pounds, which would probably correct the problem on it's own.

Sleep apnea occurs when you are already asleep. If you're not asleep and are getting these feelings whilst trying to fall asleep it's likely to be stress or anxiety related. You cannot "forget" to breathe. You brain won't let you unless it is severely injured. The brain will automatically wake a person suffering with sleep apnea once it detects carbon dioxide levels getting to high. If this continues and you find this anxiety increasing you will need to go and see a doctor. A lack of sleep is incredibly debilitating.

This happens to me every night as I fall asleep. It feels like your breath catches in your throat and you are suffocating and gasping to catch your breath. I agree it is stress or anxiety. I know for me it is panic. I know it is not apnea because I breath perfectly fine when I am asleep. I also get this when I am awake. I just close my eyes and breath deeply and imagine something that I enjoy and remind myself that there is no way I am going to die and it is only anxiety and that I can control that.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived