Closet Smoker

SuzieB

Hi. I have a confession.....I am a closet smoker! I am reading these threads about smoking and it being a turn off...I would die if someone refused to date me because he found out I liked a cig every once and a while...I smoke two or three cigs a day....mostly at night when I am walking the dog, driving home, at a bar, or just sitting and thinking. I feel embarrassed about it when someone sees me doing it. I hate the smell and don't want to mess up my health, but something is the driving force behind this little secret of mine. I know it is bad...I just wish I could just stop. I can go without one, but I like them. Does anyone have a similar situation? I like to work out, too and want to run more. I live alone, and I guess I do it out of loneliness and boredom. Who knows. I wish I could make myself want to stop! I know it is gross!

Aww, Suz--

Probably with the guilt you feel, you might not be a closet smoker for much longer. It does seem you're looking to quit. Do you know what event or person in your life may have prompted you to begin smoking?

I'm one of those who isn't fond of dating smokers, but some of my best friends are smokers. They don't smell like smoke, not sure what their trick is.

I remember doing it right when I graduated from highschool...I was celebrating... I smoked 2 in a row and got extremely sick to my tummy. You would think that it would have cured me on it, but no....I guess I do it to rebel. Everyone thinks I am so "nicey nice" I have to do something naughty. My grandmother died in recent years from smoking related illness. Why wouldnt that inspire me to not smoke? Thanks for the reply...your sweet!

I KNOW!!!! My ex would get SO mad at me when I would do it....maybe that's why I do it now.....The only time it would be ok was when he was smoking a cigar at a cigar bar....then I could have a cigarette. I need to quit...I don't want anybody to consider me a turn off. That would be sad.

Here's what happens when you burn one cigarette. Found a good article:

Blood pressure increases for 20 minutes,

Heart rate increases for 20 minutes,

Body temperature decreases for 20 minutes,

Carbon monoxide in blood increases for 8 to 12 hours,

Oxygen in blood decreases for 8 to 12 hours,

Chance of heart attack increases,

Nerve endings are irritated and start to be destroyed,

Bronchial tubes are irritated and swell up,

Lung capacity is less,

Harder to breathe – Stops fetus breathing motion,

Coordination is poorer, reflexes slower,

Cilia slower, stopped and destroyed,

Mouth, lips, teeth, lungs, and throat coated with tar,

Air sacs are clogged – thousands with each drag,

Millions of cells are irritated – a step toward cancer,

Interferes with respiratory, circulatory, nervous, digestive, excretory, muscular and other systems,

Dries membrane linings leading toward less resistance to disease,

Irritates sinuses,

Makes you stink and people around you,

Affects the skin leading to more wrinkles and poor skin color,

Puts more nicotine in urine,

Destroys air sacs and takes a minute off your life for each minute smoked.

Have less energy and endurance … especially in advanced stages of smoking disease,

A charming lady once gave me one of her fat Dunhill cigars. Since then I really enjoy an occasional handrolled longfiller cigar. I may just grab a small Bahia Tico and step outside tonight.

I'd quit today if Lena Olin asked me to...but she's not asking,

nothing turns me off more than a smoker, really.. it shows that you have been stupid enough to start. I can't really understand why someone willingly destroys his/her health with something that gives them absolutely nothing.. sorry.. but if I was you, I'd be open about it. What turns me off more than a smoker is a closet smoker But everyone has turn offs. Every chick I have been into has turn offs, and still I have been all over them, so don't depress. Quit smoking, it's bad for you!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Suzie,

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you when it comes to smoking. I'm dating someone now who is totally anti, but I love my two or three cigarettes per day. I usually will have them while driving or during the work day at times. Anyway, for her it's a dealbreaker and I like her but don't really want to give up the little smoking that I do. Not sure what to do at this point.

I KNOW!!!! My ex would get SO mad at me when I would do it....maybe that's why I do it now.....The only time it would be ok was when he was smoking a cigar at a cigar bar....then I could have a cigarette. I need to quit...I don't want anybody to consider me a turn off. That would be sad.

Did you start hiding your smokes bc of exey-boy, so he wouldn't get mad?

Maybe you smoke out of spite. lol. Hey, i've seen it.

I smoke (maybe a few a day, varies for me). If anyone 'got mad' and tried to tell me to stop, I'd say "F. You".

I mean, it is one thing to take other people's feelings into consideration. I don't smoke around people who ask me not to.

But smoking is an addiction, and like anything else, no one can stop except by their own choice. Feeling pressured by non-smokers is a great way to reinforce the desire to smoke, I find.

I wish you sucess in quitting. It does catch up with us. Health wise it is scary.