Money = Happiness ????

Can money really make you happy?

Some would say yes and some would say no.

All I know is, when my pockets are full and I can blow a grand in a single night and not have to worry about it, I feel pretty good. When I can basically do whatever I want and not have to worry about finances, I'm generally in a great mood.

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness, doesn't have any or never had any"

-not sure where I heard that quote, but I like it.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Money buys you THINGS, not happiness - at least not in my definition of quality happiness.

Yes, there is something good about not having to worry about finances...though sometimes those whom worry the least also are those whom end up with the biggest problems around money. People tend to live above their means, the more means they have, the more above they are. Homeless people don't just come from poor families....they come from Wall Street, layoffs, and not having a backup plan, a reserve, or having huge enormous debts they always figured they would "pay off eventually".

It can relieve financial stresses which is definitely an advantage, however is happiness based on how much money you have? No. Some of the happiest people I have ever met were people with very little money, but a lot of family, friends, community ties. They felt they had a purpose in life and valued what they did have, and the simpler things. Can money make life a little easier - yes. But it also sometimes brings more job stress, less time with family, etc which can also negate some of that. But not having to worry financially can definitely reduce some financial worry.

I could not just arbitrarily blow a grand in one night simply because I place a big value on what can be done without that money, if I have that much to spend in a night, I would hope I would be putting it to good use, and not just in the pursuit of superficial happiness.

As superficial as it sounds, I think money can buy happiness. However, that's not to say you don't need love, good health, friends, family, etc. Money makes life a heck of a lot easier, the difference between life and death for many unfortunately. It's not so much having money that people think about, but the lack of having any - that's where the stresses of life are.

But really, who really could say they wouldn't be more happy with more money?

There's a big billboard by my home that says "To get the right outcome, you need the right income." I laugh everytime I drive by it...it's so true :S

I've had my income vary widely from year to year. At one point, a maid cleaned the house and a cook put the week's meals in the fridge.

At other times, I shopped at Goodwill and ate lots of refrieds.

When my X dumped me, I had some bucks and have tossed some away, but it didn't help much. I dunno, as a working-class type, I enjoy my friends more than money.

Lately, I'm going for minimalism and experiences over stuff. I've owned lots of stuff.

I saw an episode of 20/20 a while back where John Stossel examined the question "Does Money Buy Happiness?"

Turns out, up to a certain point, it does. Mainly because a certain level of income provides things like a comfortable place to live, clothing, decent food and so forth.

Past that point, more money doesn't automatically translate to more happiness.

That point? About $50,000 a year....provided one manages it properly (not living beyond one's means). Mismanagement of any amount of money willl lead to unhappiness.

Here's an article about a book that was discussed in the John Stossel piece on 20/20... link removed

Shes2smart...

HEY.. I remember seeing that report!!! and its probably true.

If you look at Maslow's hiarchy... if all the basic needs are provided for at the bottom of that pyramid.. then I'd say more money "DOES NOT" equate to more happiness.

But if you are with a pond scum bottom feeding parasite who is sucking you dry... I'd say it'd be an ISSUE and you'd be not to happy.

I pretty well agree with that figure. I make much more than that and all I can say is I am not very happy at all. For years, I have been stuck in my job because my lifestyle had expanded to use up all that money. I have struggled to get my standard of living down to a managable level and am living on half my income right now.

My plan is to find something to do that gives me a sense of purpose. Doing a job for money, and then taking that money to spend on things to make me happy because my job doesn't fulfill me has become tiresome.

I want to unlatch the golden handcuffs, leave the rat race and find my calling. Until that happens, all money does is reduce stress... but the stress caused by living with no purpose is far greater. Now, if purpose *and* money come together, so much the better... but, afetr years of doign what I have been doing, I know what's more important to me now.

I agree we all need love, health etc. As much as I make I save a lot too, if I continue on the same path I'm on, I could retire at 35. But, since I'm a workaholic, I don't see that happening. I had so many dead end jobs before I opened this business and I worked my * * * off at each one to make * * * * for money. So, with that work history, now that I make a really nice living, I'm happier overall. Money definitely relieves a lot of other stresses in my life.

I don't think money buys happiness.

Money can buy physical and aesthetic comfort. It allows for more recreational options, which gives both a sense of control, and an opportunity to explore the world (travel, expensive hobbies). It gives a sense of security--whether that means covering the rent this month, or having enough squirreled away for retirement.

So.. comfort, control, fun, security. Sure.

But aside from worrying about the rent or imminent starvation, I'd say that happiness is more about being at peace with yourself & your life, and finding contentment and joy with the things outside of the financial realm: love, friendships, interesting pastimes, meaningful work. Money, or at least the desire for it, can be a hinderance to these things. It can become the goal, not the means to an end. When it does, the cravings for more can cause people to push aside the people and things that actually bring meaning and peace, and to lose sight of boring ol' peace and contentment.

Money can make your life easier but it CAN'T buy happiness. Two perfect examples of that are my best friend and his bf. My best friend makes a pretty good living as a financial analyst for the local electric company. He owns a house in WI, a nice car, has lots of investments. He has been all over the world with his bf and they have done stuff that I would have jealous about. Yet he has admitted to me that he is more unhappy now than he has ever been. He is happy to be living in CA (one of his lifelong dreams) but he feels as though there is nothing left in life for him to strive for. He is bored and he is very unhappy about keeping his gayness in the closet from his family. His secretivity about his gayness is doing him in. So, all he does is work his * * * off, hoard his money in his investments and gripe about his life.

His bf is the epitome of unhappiness. My best friend gives him a place to live rent-free, pays for a lot of stuff for him, etc. The bf has a decent job, makes good money and blows it all away on trips, expensive clothes, cars, electronics, etc. And yet, he is one of the most sullen, angry, vindictive guys I have ever met. He keeps my best friend on a short leash and is very unhappy with his life and is constantly looking for the next best material thing to make him happy.

One of the happiest people I have ever met was a lady who worked at the same place I did. She worked as a cleaning lady there and she would eat lunch with my and my secretary friends. She was always happy about things, little things (like tricks her bird did, finding something on sale, stuff her nephew did, etc). She didnt make a lot of money and she didnt care. She was happy with her lot in life.

So, again, money can make your life easier, but it wont make you happy.

From personal experience...it's much harder to be happy when you're living in a roach-infested apt. with various roommates because that's all you can afford...and once you get done paying for your share of the rent, there's not much left over for things like, oh, food, recreation and so forth.

I had most of the intangibles that generally equate to happiness at that time -- liked my job (an entry level position that was understandably low-paying--but was in the field that I wanted to be in and had a passion for), had a decent bf and good relationship with him, generally felt good about myself. But with out a few extra bucks to ease the way, happiness was a little more difficult to come by.

Nice story, Ren. I also think about my friends who are artists. I know a really talented couple who make (and sell) fantastic, beautiful works of art, but struggle to make ends meet. They're stressed out about money, but they seem really content with themselves, as people. I also know two women who were trained as artists and intended to pursue art as their profession, but ended up taking jobs as web page designers by day to support their art by night. Their day jobs were stressful enough that they started focusing almost exclusively on those, and now they spend a lot of time complaining about selling out, giving up the dream, etc. They take really nice vacations, but they aren't at peace.

I guess the trick is to find something fulfilling that also pays really well! Kidding.

When I was in my 20s and 30s I loved raking in the bucks, and would spend $100 for dinners out, opera tickets, and stuff like that.

Sound investments paid off enough for me to need less income.

So while I may not care about quaffing fine wine and all that rot, it's nice to not be needy. I could skip being a spender...been there, but it's nice to have health insurance, a roof overhead and a reliable car.

And a box of good cigars.

So money has bought you happiness, good for you.

Perhaps you should look at why you have a need to drop a grand a night on nothing, and then come here and tell us you can.

Well it is not so much a need to drop a grand, more of a want. I can easily live on $200/wk and get by saving my money just fine. But, when I have had one hell of a week and feel like celebrating, I don't see what is wrong with splurging a little. You see, people on the outside may think that I wasted my money on nothing, when in reality I have the memory. I spent my money on the good time I got out of it without the worries if I can afford it or not. Telling you guys I can was used as an example, not trying to showboat, if I came off that way, I'm sorry it was unintentional.

Keenan, you bring up a good point about going after doing what you love and the money will follow. I think that people should go after doing what they love because internal happiness and contentment is what is going to give their life spice and excitement, not the money. Back to my best friend. He had always wanted to be a vet because he loves animals but he never went that route because his parents wanted him to be an engineer or business person. He got an electrical engineering degree, worked as an engineer for 2 years, hated it, changed jobs and went back to night school to get an MBA. He now works as a financial analyst and really doesnt care for it except it makes him money. There are days he tells me that he wishes he had gone and gotten a veterinary degree because then he could feel like he is contributing something to life. Oh well.

Becallamjr, I am NOT saying completely that money CANT buy you happiness. It can but it is not happiness that lasts a long time. It only lasts until the next best thing comes along that you might want. Just look at my best friend's bf, he is always on the quest for the next best thing, and when he thinks he has it, he aint happy. Money can make life easier for you, that I dont doubt. Since I am not working right now, I have less money and less opportunities to do stuff. Am I upset about it, not really. I chose to do it this way and I live with the consequences. I've covered my butt in somethings like health insurance so I am not that worried. I just wanted a break for a bit and get my life together. When I start really worrying I will take the necessary steps to correct the problem.

Well it is not so much a need to drop a grand, more of a want. I can easily live on $200/wk and get by saving my money just fine. But, when I have had one hell of a week and feel like celebrating, I don't see what is wrong with splurging a little. You see, people on the outside may think that I wasted my money on nothing, when in reality I have the memory. I spent my money on the good time I got out of it without the worries if I can afford it or not. Telling you guys I can was used as an example, not trying to showboat, if I came off that way, I'm sorry it was unintentional.

Yeah it did come off that way to me...but you seem like a genuine nice guy so i'll let it go =) Sorry, it's just hard to understand how someone could just spend 1000 a night for a memory. I mean, I celebrate, have a good time, make awesome memories without worries about money, but can do it with 10 dollars. I suppose it's because you can but I just don't see how 1000 dollars is splurging a little. Who knows, maybe when I can afford to, I'll just as easily drop a grand...but I doubt I'll ever be able to feel comfortable doing so. It must be nice...

In all reality, I never thought anyone could make this kind of money without being a doctor or some 12 years of school degree. I lucked out to be honest and I am grateful for it, otherwise I would probably be at some entry level job working for 20 years to get where I am now. I've always had a knack for sales and my Dad is the one that turned me on to this financial business. Financial Advising is genuinely a self fulfilling job because you are helping people to invest their money and one of the benefits is a great income.

In all reality, I never thought anyone could make this kind of money without being a doctor or some 12 years of school degree. I lucked out to be honest and I am grateful for it, otherwise I would probably be at some entry level job working for 20 years to get where I am now. I've always had a knack for sales and my Dad is the one that turned me on to this financial business. Financial Advising is genuinely a self fulfilling job because you are helping people to invest their money and one of the benefits is a great income.

As long as the market is good, I was in it (I did financial planning, group benefits as well as private health & life insurance) a few years ago when most investments had ROI's in the red, and it was not such a great place to be Lots of layoffs occurred at that time, and clients were less eager to be investing, and both those working on fee or commission based sales were finding themselves in tougher times. The bigger companies did not do so badly (at least those on top of chain didn't) but a lot of smaller brokers took some big hits.

I always liked the Estate Planning side of it more though, which is one of the reasons I am going back to school for Law.