Smoking and chewing gum?

Hi

So I was out having a smoke with a co-worker yesterday, and she gave me the business about smoking and chewing gum at the same time, which I have a habit of doing.

I realise that pretty much defeats the purpose of gum, but she also figures I'd be at a bigger risk for the various mouth/throat cancers because of the bad things from the smoke staying in the gum. I tried to search for any reports on that, but came up empty.

Anyone heard of this, or have any thoughts on it?

Regardless, of the gum thing, smoking is going to be bad for you. I don't think it matters so much about things "staying" in the gum as they are already in you to begin with, and will be absorbed by skin tissues as is. Will gum increase that? Maybe, but probably not much worse than it is already...not chewing it certainly won't protect you from anything.

I am not sure gum itself here is really the problem.

Regardless, of the gum thing, smoking is going to be bad for you. I don't think it matters so much about things "staying" in the gum as they are already in you to begin with, and will be absorbed by skin tissues as is. Will gum increase that? Maybe, but probably not much worse than it is already...not chewing it certainly won't protect you from anything.

I am not sure gum itself here is really the problem.

lol. Point duelly noted.

I suppose the gum is a bit of a moot point. If I'm getting mouth cancer, I guess it won't be due to the fact that I chewed a piece of gum at the same time.

I didn't think she had much substance to her claim, especially when you put it that way, but it just got me thinking last nite and well, here I am.

lol, thanks for your replies, and the laugh.

DON'T QUIT SMOKING !!!!!!!!!

(Instead liberate yourself from the addiction of nicotine - it is the cheapest and best way to immediately give yourself a major health boost. If (when) you can beat that addiction, the personal power you will feel will spill into all aspects of your life and next time someone gives you some BS story then you can just laugh at them because you will be superior since you beat one of the hardest addictions ever)

Yes, I am a reformed smoker, but no I rarely lecture people to quit. Sorry.

• 1 year later...

I was out with a my mate and my boyfriend. We went to one of the bars on campus and ran into two 'jack the lad' cockney sounding guys. My boyfriend all offered us gum and afterwards I proceeded to light up a smoke. One of the cockney guys said to me 'You know, you really shouldn't smoke and chew gum at the same time, you could get mouth cancer'. I asked him where he got that information from and he just repeated 'you could get mouth cancer'. I only thought about the logic of his statement till afterwards. As someone said above, that is the first time that someone has quizzed me over my chewing gum and smoking simultaneously and surely if there were links to doing so it would be splattered all over the media. This is the only site when I searched this topic in Google which proves this point! Secondly, even if this were true as someone also said above, without the chewing gum would still give you a chance of getting mouth cancer. I thought he may have got mixed up in the whole 'don't smoke and chew nicorette gum (and the likes of)'. Or maybe he just likes to sound big by throwing a pure random apparent fact out there.

• 1 year later...

Archived